• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Mario Social Thread

SuperLuigi231

Senior Squid
NNID
Angry_Bird_231
Mario Social Thread

Anything and everything about the Mario franchise!

Mario x Splatoon!

I've been a longtime fan of the Mario series, and I wanted to share that love
with the Squidboards community. Feel free to discuss anything related to Mario here!

Have fun!

Last edited:

SuperLuigi231

Senior Squid
NNID
Angry_Bird_231
To get this topic started, I want to ask:
What do you guys think of Color Splash? Yay or nay?

Flareth

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I (and I think a few others on this board, can't remember) say yay, everyone else wants Nintendo to burn for it. It's quite a shame, since the game itself looks really neat, but I guess if it isn't exactly what the fans demand then it's complete trash. And I thought the Federation Force haters were acting entitled...

I mean, I can understand a few of their complaints, but then they go way overboard with them to the point that I struggle to take them seriously. No, the dancing pig is not ****ting on TTYD's legacy, it's there to make you laugh and kick Sledge Bro ***. And so what if the ghost is another Toad and not a Boo? What, you mean to tell me that Boos are the only spirits in the Marioverse? I'd love to hear you explain these guys, then.

...pardon me, I felt like ranting a bit. It's just a bit annoying that people will overlook all the neat things about this game in favor of ripping into it for what it isn't.

SuperLuigi231

Senior Squid
NNID
Angry_Bird_231
I (and I think a few others on this board, can't remember) say yay, everyone else wants Nintendo to burn for it. It's quite a shame, since the game itself looks really neat, but I guess if it isn't exactly what the fans demand then it's complete trash. And I thought the Federation Force haters were acting entitled...

I mean, I can understand a few of their complaints, but then they go way overboard with them to the point that I struggle to take them seriously. No, the dancing pig is not ****ting on TTYD's legacy, it's there to make you laugh and kick Sledge Bro ***. And so what if the ghost is another Toad and not a Boo? What, you mean to tell me that Boos are the only spirits in the Marioverse? I'd love to hear you explain these guys, then.

...pardon me, I felt like ranting a bit. It's just a bit annoying that people will overlook all the neat things about this game in favor of ripping into it for what it isn't.
I completely agree. While Sticker Star and the upcoming Color Splash aren't the best, they aren't bad either. However, everyone seems to compare it to the first two games, which I think isn't fair. Nintendo is known for coming up with innovative and fresh games, so the radical changes aren't necessarily a bad thing. Just because it doesn't mirror the good games doesn't necessarily make it bad. I mean, look at Sunshine and the Galaxy games! Nintendo decided to experiment and try something new, and they were huge successes. Maybe Color Splash will follow suit.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
The only thing I remember at all of the old Paper Mario titles were the charming casts and areas. Removing those also removed my interest.

SuperLuigi231

Senior Squid
NNID
Angry_Bird_231
The only thing I remember at all of the old Paper Mario titles were the charming casts and areas. Removing those also removed my interest.
Yeah, the one thing I really can't defend about the new Paper Marios is the lack of interesting and unique characters... there really aren't any.
I think the places were still pretty interesting though. Again, not as good as the originals.

Flareth

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I'll be frank: the only Paper Mario game I've ever played was Super Paper Mario, and that one had a level of characterization and plot that I don't think many games can claim to reach. This one falling short of the mark is inevitable, really.

SuperLuigi231

Senior Squid
NNID
Angry_Bird_231
I'll be frank: the only Paper Mario game I've ever played was Super Paper Mario, and that one had a level of characterization and plot that I don't think many games can claim to reach. This one falling short of the mark is inevitable, really.
The only Paper Mario game I played was Super Paper Mario until recently, but I played TTYD and am currently playing the original on emulators. I would really recommend TTYD. It has a storyline that is just barely under SPM's.

Also, a little article from My Nintendo News:
"Nintendo Producer Risa Tabata spoke with Eurogamer about Paper Mario: Color Splash‘s story, which was confirmed to be getting more focus in this title than in Paper Mario: Sticker Star. It won’t be on the scale of, for example, a BioWare RPG title, but there will be more focus on story in Paper Mario: Color Splash. Tabata said that “some of the things we’ve focused on in the past are the humour and a well-put-together story. That’s something we’ve really focused on for this title”. Risa Tabata says that “you’ll probably cry” by the time the story ends."

ILikeKirbys

Inkling Commander
NNID
ILikeKirbys
To get this topic started, I want to ask:
What do you guys think of Color Splash? Yay or nay?

Honestly, I'm just waiting to see if the combat has a purpose again. If some form of Experience Points return, or they find some other way to make combat matter, I'll be cool with this. Otherwise... no.

Still miss partners, and kinda wish a TTYD-style game was in the works (doesn't even have to be Paper Mario any more, I'll take it in just about any franchise. Maybe Wario? Finally use those microgame makers for something other than WarioWare, have Wario get back into treasure hunting like in his platformers, bring back Captain Syrup and her crew... hey, I can dream), but I don't have an inherent problem with Color Splash's approach, outside of taking inspiration from a game where combat was largely unimportant outside of bosses.
Though like I said in another thread, now they can take the criticisms of Sticker Star into account and improve upon that game to craft a superior experience (for example, don't make cards into the resource you use to fight and the reward for combat unless you don't permanently lose cards when you use them in battle like you did Stickers, have a shuffle or something so you're able to regain your cards mid-combat and aren't defenseless after running out). Hopefully. Gonna wait for gameplay footage to decide whether I'll try this one out.

Also, a little article from My Nintendo News:
"Nintendo Producer Risa Tabata spoke with Eurogamer about Paper Mario: Color Splash‘s story, which was confirmed to be getting more focus in this title than in Paper Mario: Sticker Star. It won’t be on the scale of, for example, a BioWare RPG title, but there will be more focus on story in Paper Mario: Color Splash. Tabata said that “some of the things we’ve focused on in the past are the humour and a well-put-together story. That’s something we’ve really focused on for this title”. Risa Tabata says that “you’ll probably cry” by the time the story ends."
Not gonna lie. The "you'll probably cry" made me laugh nonstop for like a minute. I don't know why. It just happened.
Now I'm holding the humor of this game to the standard of "Will it make me laugh like I did when a producer claimed that it'd probably make me cry?" Which is a weird standard, but here we are.
Slightly more seriously tho, I have high hopes for the humor on this one, after Paper Jam.

So, um, anyone here played Super Mario Galaxy 2? I skipped it since it looked a lot like the first one (which I enjoyed a lot), but now I'm looking back and wondering if that was a mistake.

SuperLuigi231

Senior Squid
NNID
Angry_Bird_231
Honestly, I'm just waiting to see if the combat has a purpose again. If some form of Experience Points return, or they find some other way to make combat matter, I'll be cool with this. Otherwise... no.

Still miss partners, and kinda wish a TTYD-style game was in the works (doesn't even have to be Paper Mario any more, I'll take it in just about any franchise. Maybe Wario? Finally use those microgame makers for something other than WarioWare, have Wario get back into treasure hunting like in his platformers, bring back Captain Syrup and her crew... hey, I can dream), but I don't have an inherent problem with Color Splash's approach, outside of taking inspiration from a game where combat was largely unimportant outside of bosses.
Though like I said in another thread, now they can take the criticisms of Sticker Star into account and improve upon that game to craft a superior experience (for example, don't make cards into the resource you use to fight and the reward for combat unless you don't permanently lose cards when you use them in battle like you did Stickers, have a shuffle or something so you're able to regain your cards mid-combat and aren't defenseless after running out). Hopefully. Gonna wait for gameplay footage to decide whether I'll try this one out.

Not gonna lie. The "you'll probably cry" made me laugh nonstop for like a minute. I don't know why. It just happened.
Now I'm holding the humor of this game to the standard of "Will it make me laugh like I did when a producer claimed that it'd probably make me cry?" Which is a weird standard, but here we are.
Slightly more seriously tho, I have high hopes for the humor on this one, after Paper Jam.

So, um, anyone here played Super Mario Galaxy 2? I skipped it since it looked a lot like the first one (which I enjoyed a lot), but now I'm looking back and wondering if that was a mistake.
I have 99.9 percented it (if that's a thing). So here's my thoughts on it...
SMG 2 basically just expanded upon the concepts of the original, doing it better. You have the original power-ups (bee suit, fire flower), with some new ones (Cloud Flower, Rock Mushroom) which add more variety. The galaxies are more creative than the original, and there is more puzzle solving and uniqueness to the different galaxies. The two-player mode is great as well (if you have a sibling or something). And of course, Yoshi is just so adorable (and useful, with his trademark Flutter Jump and swallowing enemies as well as several exclusive power-ups). My favorite part is the green star challenge. It is very challenging, but that just makes it more fun.

There isn't really anything that I would say that SMG did better except for maybe the storyline, and the home world (Comet Observatory vs. Starship Mario). But those are pretty small things. I wouldn't say you are missing out on too much if you don't play it (since you've already played SMG) but if you have the opportunity, I definitely would.

If I had to say the ONE thing I hated most about Sticker Star, it was the no XP. So I'm glad you pointed that out. Someone said that in Color Splash, by defeating enemies, you get Hammer Cards, and if you gather enough, you can hold a greater amount of paint. I guess that's kinda like XP?
Also, I heard that Nintendo may be making a TTYD remake for Wii U (but it was only a rumor).

ILikeKirbys

Inkling Commander
NNID
ILikeKirbys
I have 99.9 percented it (if that's a thing). So here's my thoughts on it...
SMG 2 basically just expanded upon the concepts of the original, doing it better. You have the original power-ups (bee suit, fire flower), with some new ones (Cloud Flower, Rock Mushroom) which add more variety. The galaxies are more creative than the original, and there is more puzzle solving and uniqueness to the different galaxies. The two-player mode is great as well (if you have a sibling or something). And of course, Yoshi is just so adorable (and useful, with his trademark Flutter Jump and swallowing enemies as well as several exclusive power-ups). My favorite part is the green star challenge. It is very challenging, but that just makes it more fun.

There isn't really anything that I would say that SMG did better except for maybe the storyline, and the home world (Comet Observatory vs. Starship Mario). But those are pretty small things. I wouldn't say you are missing out on too much if you don't play it (since you've already played SMG) but if you have the opportunity, I definitely would.
Well, I guess I'll pick it up some time, when I can. Won't be for a while, but eventually. Thanks, mate.

If I had to say the ONE thing I hated most about Sticker Star, it was the no XP. So I'm glad you pointed that out. Someone said that in Color Splash, by defeating enemies, you get Hammer Cards, and if you gather enough, you can hold a greater amount of paint. I guess that's kinda like XP?
Wait, don't you fight with Hammer Cards (and Jump Cards, and Item Cards, and other stuff on Cards)? Or is this a different thing? I haven't been keeping up with this game lately, so I wouldn't know.
Still, that is indeed kinda like XP, so it's a step in the right direction. Gonna have to wait for release day to see if they'll do more to address the flaws of Sticker Star.

Also, I heard that Nintendo may be making a TTYD remake for Wii U (but it was only a rumor).
I want this to be true.
Although maybe with a few additional things? Dunno what those would be, exactly, but hopefully if this is happening they'll drop in some stuff that wasn't in the original, so people like me who have TTYD have a reason to pick up the remake.

SuperLuigi231

Senior Squid
NNID
Angry_Bird_231
Wait, don't you fight with Hammer Cards (and Jump Cards, and Item Cards, and other stuff on Cards)? Or is this a different thing? I haven't been keeping up with this game lately, so I wouldn't know.
Still, that is indeed kinda like XP, so it's a step in the right direction. Gonna have to wait for release day to see if they'll do more to address the flaws of Sticker Star.

I want this to be true.
Although maybe with a few additional things? Dunno what those would be, exactly, but hopefully if this is happening they'll drop in some stuff that wasn't in the original, so people like me who have TTYD have a reason to pick up the remake.
Ok, they are not called hammer cards. MarioWiki calls them "special hammers"; I guess we won't know the name until the game releases.

They are probably going to do something amiibo-unlockable, like the Cave of Shadows in Twilight Princess HD was unlockable with the Wolf Link amiibo. That was an entirely new mode only in the remake.

ILikeKirbys

Inkling Commander
NNID
ILikeKirbys
Ok, they are not called hammer cards. MarioWiki calls them "special hammers"; I guess we won't know the name until the game releases.
Huh. Odd that they'd call it Special Hammers, I figured they'd call a maximum-paint power-up Palettes or Paint Cans or something paint-related. Still, from what I read, still a step in the correct direction.

They are probably going to do something amiibo-unlockable, like the Cave of Shadows in Twilight Princess HD was unlockable with the Wolf Link amiibo. That was an entirely new mode only in the remake.
I'd be suprised if they didn't do something like this, to be honest. Wondering what it'll be, tho. Most likely just some special cards. Maybe have Mario/Luigi/Peach/Toad/Bowser/Yoshi/Jr./Rosalina/Wario/Doctor Mario (not paper versions, the actual 3D ones) as special Thing-type cards. Doubt that'll happen, but it'd be cool.
Kiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiinda hoping the Splatoon amiibo unlock something, at least. Since they're from a game about painting everything (well, inking everything, but the difference isn't that large), and this game has a paint motif, it'd be nice to see a Splatoon reference somewhere. Won't complain if it doesn't happen, but it'd be cool to see.

Y'know, as a possibly-completely-off-topic-feel-free-to-ignore musing...
I wish there were a Mario & Sonic platformer, instead of just sports games.

SuperLuigi231

Senior Squid
NNID
Angry_Bird_231
Huh. Odd that they'd call it Special Hammers, I figured they'd call a maximum-paint power-up Palettes or Paint Cans or something paint-related. Still, from what I read, still a step in the correct direction.

I'd be suprised if they didn't do something like this, to be honest. Wondering what it'll be, tho. Most likely just some special cards. Maybe have Mario/Luigi/Peach/Toad/Bowser/Yoshi/Jr./Rosalina/Wario/Doctor Mario (not paper versions, the actual 3D ones) as special Thing-type cards. Doubt that'll happen, but it'd be cool.
Kiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiinda hoping the Splatoon amiibo unlock something, at least. Since they're from a game about painting everything (well, inking everything, but the difference isn't that large), and this game has a paint motif, it'd be nice to see a Splatoon reference somewhere. Won't complain if it doesn't happen, but it'd be cool to see.

Y'know, as a possibly-completely-off-topic-feel-free-to-ignore musing...
I wish there were a Mario & Sonic platformer, instead of just sports games.
I don't think "special hammers" is the official name of them; I just think that's what the editor called them because there isn't a given name for them yet.

I honestly don't think that the splatoon amiibo will ever be able to unlock anything exclusive in a Mario game. They want to reserve that for the Mario series amiibo, so they can have better sales. Smash, Animal Crossing, and Splatoon amiibo may unlock some non-character related items or something.

Well, Nintendo and Sega are different companies, and they would have to see good reasons to combine them in a way different than the olympics. While both are platformers, they are pretty different. I'm not sure how exactly they could be combined.

ILikeKirbys

Inkling Commander
NNID
ILikeKirbys
I don't think "special hammers" is the official name of them; I just think that's what the editor called them because there isn't a given name for them yet.

I honestly don't think that the splatoon amiibo will ever be able to unlock anything exclusive in a Mario game. They want to reserve that for the Mario series amiibo, so they can have better sales. Smash, Animal Crossing, and Splatoon amiibo may unlock some non-character related items or something.
That makes sense. Hopefully they'll have a better name by release.

And that sucks about the Splatoon amiibo. I mean, it makes sense, but I'm still kinda bummed since it'd make sense for them to give an exclusive unlock in this game. Hopefully they'll still do something tho.

Well, Nintendo and Sega are different companies, and they would have to see good reasons to combine them in a way different than the olympics. While both are platformers, they are pretty different. I'm not sure how exactly they could be combined.
I dunno how it could work either, honestly. I'd just like it if it happened.

PrinceOfKoopas

Inkling Commander
NNID
PrinceOfKoopas
Going back to Color Splash, I gotta say the game's hype buildup is fantastic with the Rescue V episodes.
And, y'know, me on a secret weapon which happens to fit my Team Pirates choice very, very nicely.

Flareth

Inkling Fleet Admiral
So I see we're getting a new Mario sports compilation for the 3DS. It looks interesting, but I'm not sure if it's something I'll pick up. Sports video games aren't exactly my thing...

SuperLuigi231

Senior Squid
NNID
Angry_Bird_231
So I see we're getting a new Mario sports compilation for the 3DS. It looks interesting, but I'm not sure if it's something I'll pick up. Sports video games aren't exactly my thing...
But why on Earth is there horse racing?
And tennis already has its own 3ds game, why not put basketball or something else there instead?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom