• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Maxing out a perk

G

girigiriHERO

NOTE: Not including Damage Up and Defense Up because they can potentially cancel each other out

Is it possible to max out a perk. For example, take a weapon with great mobility, is it possible that after, for example, 5 mains of Run Speed Up that last main does absolutely nothing? Just something I've been curious about. I know some abilities like Quick Respawn and Quick Super Jump don't really have a max not matter how much you pack on.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
There's still practical max limits, of course. Speaking as someone who always piles on quick respawn, after three mains the benefits given are such tiny fractions of a second that they're meaningless. The same no doubt applies to other abilities.

You can hit the max, yes. A good way to test doing so is to have a ton of mobility in addition to opening gambit - after a certain amount you won't notice a difference.

Cuttleshock

Inkling Commander
One answer of which I'm confident: Special Saver, for Light reduction weapons. At something not far over 4 Mains (?), you have no Special loss on being splatted.

If it hasn't changed from a long time ago, 3 Mains, 9 Subs of Special Saver will precisely reduce loss by 50 percentage points, so Medium loss goes to 10% and Heavy, 25%; but the ability's probably been buffed since whenever that was, so it could be that it even caps out for Medium loss. Doubt it, though.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
3 mains or equivalent of special saver on a light reduction weapon means 2.5% special lost upon being splatted, which in practical terms is one shot of any weapon.

ϛ(°³°)/`

Inkling Commander
You're asking if it's possible to achieve the highest possible boost for a perk before using all 3 mains and 9 subs on it? The answer is no, and it has to do with how the game calculates ability effects. I would redirect you to the thread @Box made on the subject, but here's a TL;DR none the less:

When calculating your ability contribution, it can be between 0 and 60 points, where a sub adds 3 points and a main adds 10. You only achieve the maximum effect when you hit 60 points, which for Ink Recovery would be +40%. You will NOT hit +40% ink recovery rate before 3 mains and 9 subs.

Now one extra thing I'd like to add, is that the effect's algorithm does not use a linear relation. You likely have encountered this term as "diminishing returns". The long and the short of it is that your first perk slot will give you the largest contribution, whereas if you stack more and more, each additional perk slot will give you a smaller and smaller boost, as @Dessgeega mentioned already. This is important to remember because you'll find it beneficial splitting up your slots to a number of useful abilities for weapons; splatlings may benefit from run speed, but you'll find more use in having a few run speed mains, a few ink recovery/saver, and ink resistance than you would 3 mains and 9 subs of pure Sanic.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Yep, what mr. anime face said is dead on :P The practical limit for most abilities is 3 main's worth, beyond that it's usually not worth it.

ϛ(°³°)/`

Inkling Commander
Yep, what mr. anime face said is dead on :p The practical limit for most abilities is 3 main's worth, beyond that it's usually not worth it.
Unless you're like me and use the Rapid Blaster. You can hit 99.9 with 3 mains and 2 subs, and the overstacking of damage up lets you hit 50.0 or higher at a greater distance from the explosion's centre, making for an easy 2 hit KO. I use 3 mains and 4 subs with my swanky getup and I'll be damned if it doesn't work well; with how often enemies scrape by your ink it only takes one direct to splat them like a normal blaster.

At this point I'm just splitting hairs though - there's very few situations where you want that much of the same perk.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Like I said, it's "usually" not worth it, but I see your point.

Maave

Inkling Commander
The Splatoon Wiki has some graphs on it, which are a little easier to interpret than hard numbers. Here are some examples: swim speed, bomb range

Go to each ability page to see its chart. it's a slight curve that starts leveling off right about the max slots. You still gain very slight increases but they become negligible after so many slots

G

girigiriHERO

The Splatoon Wiki has some graphs on it, which are a little easier to interpret than hard numbers. Here are some examples: swim speed, bomb range

Go to each ability page to see its chart. it's a slight curve that starts leveling off right about the max slots. You still gain very slight increases but they become negligible after so many slots
I'd honestly much rather have NUMBERS than a line chart. If they wrote them out I'd have a much easier time seeing the difference.

example
1 swim speed main +10%
1 swin speed main 1 swim speed sub 12%

something like that is far better

ϛ(°³°)/`

Inkling Commander
I'd honestly much rather have NUMBERS than a line chart. If they wrote them out I'd have a much easier time seeing the difference.

example
1 swim speed main +10%
1 swin speed main 1 swim speed sub 12%

something like that is far better
Well, just in the event that you haven't taken a look at it, the post that I linked does indeed have pre-calculated effects for every ability and every main/sub combination, sorted in increasing order. I use it all the time for planning out gear sets, so here it is again.

http://squidboards.com/threads/how-to-calculate-ability-effects.8271/

Pterk

Full Squid
NNID
YoloEric12
Unless you're like me and use the Rapid Blaster. You can hit 99.9 with 3 mains and 2 subs, and the overstacking of damage up lets you hit 50.0 or higher at a greater distance from the explosion's centre, making for an easy 2 hit KO. I use 3 mains and 4 subs with my swanky getup and I'll be damned if it doesn't work well; with how often enemies scrape by your ink it only takes one direct to splat them like a normal blaster.

At this point I'm just splitting hairs though - there's very few situations where you want that much of the same perk.
Still working on getting 4 mains for my rapid blaster set, one direct = insta KO and 2 indirect = KO pretty sure

Cuttleshock

Inkling Commander
Still working on getting 4 mains for my rapid blaster set, one direct = insta KO and 2 indirect = KO pretty sure
Nope. Rapids never KO with a direct - as, uh, dancing emoticon said, they cap out at 99.9. In some cases, that gives the illusion of OHKOs because if they have even the slightest residual damage, they'll be taken out, but that's all. Also, I think that near indirects are 2HKOs even without Damage Up, although you can definitely make that more probable by stacking more (increase the 2HKO radius and stuff).

Pterk

Full Squid
NNID
YoloEric12
Nope. Rapids never KO with a direct - as, uh, dancing emoticon said, they cap out at 99.9. In some cases, that gives the illusion of OHKOs because if they have even the slightest residual damage, they'll be taken out, but that's all. Also, I think that near indirects are 2HKOs even without Damage Up, although you can definitely make that more probable by stacking more (increase the 2HKO radius and stuff).
Well wouldn't that .1 damage be from the enemy being in your ink?

Pterk

Full Squid
NNID
YoloEric12
Or am I just really uninformed arm

Pterk

Full Squid
NNID
YoloEric12
Or am I just really uninformed arm
Because if that's true then what's the point if running damage up right? Only 2indirect for a KO can easily just be 3 since it shoots so rapid, see what I did their?m

Cuttleshock

Inkling Commander
I think that I might be wrong about the indirect hit 2HKOs, yeah (as in it's almost, if not completely impossible to achieve them without Damage Up) - at any rate, it is worth stacking Damage Up to increase splatting potential of the Rapid.
Yeah, sure, as long as you're aware that it only works if they take the ink damage before you hit them - if they're at full health, you hit them and then they're briefly in the ink from the blast, they won't take any more ink damage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom