1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Squidboards now has its own Discord server!

Join us on Discord!

3. Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 15,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 150,000 posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Splatoon community!

4. Hi Guest,

As of June 3rd you will no longer be able to log in to Squidboards using your Smashboards account. Please take a look at the announcement for additional details

Tournament [May 21, 2016] Supernova II - SAI Qualifier! (Online)

Discussion in 'Event & Tournament Listings' started by Khraka, Apr 28, 2016.

Supernova II - SAI Qualifier!
Posted By Khraka

Saturday, May 21, 2016 - 01:00 PM
(ends Saturday, May 21, 2016 - 07:00 PM)
Timezone: America/New_York

Keywords

Upcoming Occurrences

All times have been adjusted for the timezone: America/New_York

This event does not have any/other upcoming occurrences...
  1. Khraka

Khraka Inkster Jr.

NNID:
    Khraka
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Saturday, May 21st, at 1pm EDT / 5pm UTC

Current Sign-Ups: 90 / 96

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Another dark and stormy night, just like that one from about a month ago. Is this meant to be a sign? A premonition of things to come? You can't say for certain. But as this thought crosses your mind, you find yourself unable to resist at least testing this theory of yours. You type "squidboards" into your browser. You go to the tournament listings forum. You scan the threads near the top of the page, until... there it is. Another Supernova thread. It's as if it had never left you. For the second time in a row, you cry hot, passionate tears over a competitive Splatoon tournament. You begin to think you might need a therapist.

- - -

Hello, everyone. Supernova is back. Are you excited? I am.

It took a lot of bribing (and a couple of... "favors"), but I managed to pull off this luxurious, Saturday time slot for the tournament, just for you guys. And that's not all! If you've noticed the cool green logo underneath the Supernova II logo, you might be wondering to yourself, "What the hell is SAI? And what does this tournament have to do with it?" Well, I'm glad you asked. Which is why I'm going to save answering that question until the very end of this thread. Let's get started, shall we?

How to Sign Up
    Just click the "Registration Form" button above, and fill it out! That's... pretty much all you have to do.

Sign-ups will close on May 20th, at 9pm EDT.

Stuff About Time Limits
    Time limits exist in this tournament to help it run more smoothly. For this iteration of the Supernova series, I've actually extended the usual time limits by about 5 minutes, in order to give a little more leniency for the teams to prepare their matches. So, unless you're purposely taking forever to start a match, most teams probably won't have any issues with these time limits.

Want to know more? Check out our ruleset document for more information on time limits.

Tournament Structure
    Group Stage
    • Competing teams will be placed into four-to-eight groups, and will compete against each other in a round-robin style.
      • The exact number of groups, as well as the size of those groups, will be determined by how many teams sign up for the tournament. In an optimal scenario of 64 teams, there will be 8 groups of 8 teams each.
      • Seeding will be done manually by the TOs, with emphasis on separating the top teams into different groups.
    • This stage will last either 3 or 5 rounds. Each round will last a maximum of 30 minutes (35 for the first round).
    • For each match, both teams will play a Best-of-3 set of games against each other; the first team to win 2 games will win the set.
      • In the case of this stage being only 3 rounds, all three games must be played, regardless of how many games a team has won during that match. This is so that game differentials can be used more effectively to rank teams with the same win-loss ratings.
    • The top 2 teams from each group will move on to the next stage.
    Final Stage
    • Winning teams from the previous stage will be seeded into a single-elimination bracket.
      • For the first round of the bracket, teams who placed first in their group will face off against team who placed second in their group.
      • No two teams who were from the same group in the Group Stage will be paired off against each other, nor will they be located on the same side of the bracket.
    • Each round will last a maximum of 40 minutes (50 for the Grand Finals).
    • All matches in this stage will be BO5 (Best-of-5) sets, with the exception of the Grand Finals, which will be a BO7 (Best-of-7) set.

Map List
    In standard fashion, maps will be chosen Halo-style; which is to say, the TOs will manually create a list of every map-mode combination to be played throughout the tournament, which will then be played in that exact order during each round. The map list will be released no later than 24 hours before the tournament begins.

Tournament Stream
    As in the first iteration of Supernova, there will indeed be a tournament stream. However, due to issues that occurred during that first tournament that I'd like to prevent, I will probably not be streaming the Group Stage of the tournament this time, unless I can find someone to be my "stream guy" for the tournament's duration. When the stream is up, you will be able to find it on my twitch account, here! You can also watch the first Supernova Tournament Stream on that channel, if you so desire.

SAI Qualifier Information
    The Splatoon Anniversary Invitational is a special tournament being held the week after Supernova II. You can read more about it here!

This tournament acts as one of four qualifiers to the event; depending on your placement in this tournament, you will gain "qualifier points" which will be used to determine which teams will make it into the final event. Here is how the points are distributed:

1st Place - 40 pts
    2nd Place - 20 pts
    3rd Place - 15 pts
    4th Place - 12 pts
    5th - 8th Place - 10 pts
    9th - 16th Place - 5 pts
    17th - 32nd Place - 2 pts
    33rd Place and onward - 0 pts

The top 16 teams with the most qualifier points after all qualifiers have finished (scores are based on a team's top two placements across all qualifiers) will be invited into the final event, which will be a one-stage, double elimination bracket pitting you against the best teams in the competitive scene.

Are you up for the challenge?
    If you have any other questions, feel free to ask either here or in our Discord server! And when in doubt, read the rules document for the tournament! The answers to most of your questions are probably going to be located somewhere in there, if I had to guess.

In any case, I look forward to seeing you all on tournament day! :D

Agentdave7 likes this.
  2. Simba

Simba Inkling

NNID:
    VanDerBeeksHaus
    1st - Cuties signed up. Excited =D

Domino and DanubeKill like this.
  3. xCoCo

xCoCo Inkling Commander

NNID:
    xCelsiusS
    Maybe my team will actually sign up this time 'round xD

DanubeKill likes this.
  4. Riptide55

Riptide55 Inkling

NNID:
    Powerchomper7
    Supernova was my first tournament and this will be my second hyped

DanubeKill likes this.
  5. Khraka

Khraka Inkster Jr.

NNID:
    Khraka
    This tournament has now been announced as one of the four qualifiers for the Splatoon Anniversary Invitational! I'll be editing this thread in the future with some fun tidbits regarding how things will all work regarding that, but if you're curious to know more in general, check out the thread for SAI here!

6. Agentdave7

Agentdave7 Inkster Jr.

NNID:
    Agentdave7
    Over 20 teams have already signed up! :D

Huge thank you to everyone that has registered so far.

If you haven't already, make sure you register ASAP.

Once the cap has been reached, teams will be put on the waiting list.

DanubeKill likes this.
  7. Agentdave7

Agentdave7 Inkster Jr.

NNID:
    Agentdave7
    30 teams have signed up! :O

There's still time to register.

Don't wait too long, or you might not get in!

There will be a waiting list, but that doesn't guarantee entry.

8. Khraka

Khraka Inkster Jr.

NNID:
    Khraka
    Due to the insane amount to which we've been getting sign-ups (we're at 42 as of this post!), I've increased the team cap to 64. To everyone who has signed up so far, thank you! This is looking to be a pretty jam-packed tournament :0

9. nama

nama Inkster Jr.

NNID:
    namstudio
    I registered, so now all i have to do is join discord channel?

10. Khraka

Khraka Inkster Jr.

NNID:
    Khraka
    Yep! As long as everyone you've listed as a "captain" is in the discord server, you're all set for the tournament ^-^

11. Khraka

Khraka Inkster Jr.

NNID:
    Khraka
    Two small updates:

1. The way SAI Qualifiers work is slightly different now. Instead of accumulating points across all four qualifiers, now only your highest two placements will be considered. This has been done so that teams that are unable to play in all four qualifiers still stand a chance to compete for a spot in the final event.

2. We're currently at 56 sign-ups, meaning there's only 8 guaranteed spots left! If your team is interested in playing in the tournament but hasn't signed up yet, just know that we may reach our cap sooner than you think!

12. Domino

Domino Inkling

NNID:
    i.iz.teh.shiz
    Good. ıиκnigma wants some revenge. ;D Seriously, though, I hope we face off again. Was a lot of fun last time. Btw, did you guys notice that King and I teamed up with you and Paper during Twin?

13. Khraka

Khraka Inkster Jr.

NNID:
    Khraka
    We have reached our team cap of 64 teams! Teams who sign up now will be placed on a wait-list; if any of the 64 currently-registered teams drops out of the tournament, a team from the wait-list will take their spot, with reference given to the order in which the teams signed up.

Thank you to everyone who has signed up so far! It truly is an honor to have so many teams take an interest in my tournament! :D

14. Khraka

Khraka Inkster Jr.

NNID:
    Khraka
    Change of plans! With so many teams having signed up, we're considering increasing the team cap again! If this tournament reaches 80 sign-ups, any teams that were wait-listed will automatically become part of the tournament, and the team cap will be increased to 96!

Spread the word!

15. Agentdave7

Agentdave7 Inkster Jr.

NNID:
    Agentdave7
    Thanks to everyone that has signed up so far! :)

A tournament with 96 teams? That'd be awesome! :D

16. Domino

Domino Inkling

NNID:
    i.iz.teh.shiz
    [Deleted. I'm a dummy.]