• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

MEDIOCRE!

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215

Boy, this game is getting hammered, isn't it? After all that hype build-up and money spent, this game is average at best. I'd feel sorry for Comcept and Keiji Inafune but this is a grave they dug for themselves.

What do you think of Mighty No. 9?

ILikeKirbys

Inkling Commander
NNID
ILikeKirbys
I was expecting something Mad Max-related for some reason. Dunno why.

Still, as someone who has no intention of getting this game anymore, but does enjoy Mega Man (classic/X/Zero/Battle Network/ZX, never played Star Force), has read reviews of MN9 and watched other people play it on YouTube (this last one being why I don't want MN9 anymore; maybe it's just YouTube, but this game doesn't look like something I'd enjoy when I see it in motion), I do have thoughts/questions/both:

1) The gameplay looks oddly boring. I don't think I could explain exactly what about it feels off without playing it myself (and I'm not exactly rushing out the door to grab it, given what I've seen), but if I had to hazard a guess...
The bosses look tedious and have patterns that are just too easy to deal with. Maybe electro-whatever-the-third-one-is could be tricky, since you kinda have to guide her attacks so the later one doesn't hit everywhere, but other than her they just seem so easy to dodge. Maybe it's harder when you're actually playing it, I dunno.
The final boss especially looked unbearably boring.

2) I don't like the graphics. There's nothing really especially wrong with them from what I can tell, but they just don't look right to me.
At least the explosions no longer look like pizza.

3) Is there a way to turn off voices? Because those got annoying very quickly.

4) The weapons. Are they useful in levels, or is it like some of the later Mega Man games where, from what I recall, I'll be better off just sticking to the arm cannon outside of weakness exploitation?

5) Dashing. How exactly does it work? Are there limits, or can you just do it forever? And how do the absorbed power-up things from enemies work? I haven't been able to figure it out myself, sorry.

I dunno why, but I kinda hoped they'd add a bit more to the Mega Man formula. Specifically, the ability to shoot up. Not on a diagonal, I remember how good that made Metal Blades, but, like, straight up. With the default arm cannon. It would probably be really useful in a Mega Man-style game like MN9 wants to be.
Also, crouching. That isn't completely necessary, but it'd be nice to be able to hit those annoying enemies that are right at foot-level. And I know I saw Call doing this during her level, so maybe Beck can do it too? I wouldn't know.

And now, for an odd observation...
Mighty No. 9 makes me think of Azure Striker Gunvolt when I see it. That's probably partially because of Mighty Gunvolt, a cheap little 8-bit spinoff thingy that had both Beck (who sucked) and Gunvolt (who was pretty good) in it, alongside some girl (from something called a Gal Gun, dunno what that is. Oddly, she played like Fourth Armor X in X5, which was fine, but I wasn't expecting that), but also because both games appear to be Mega Man-alikes with mechanics that give high scores for speedy players who don't get hit and rack up combos... But I feel like Gunvolt does it better. GV actually has risk to his method of dispatching enemies (to elaborate, Gunvolt tags enemies with his gun for minimal damage, then turns on his Flashfield to create a lightning-field around himself that deals low damage to enemies caught in it and lightning-bolts that hit tagged enemies for higher, continuous damage, with dispatching multiple enemies in quick succession giving you a combo multiplier to greatly increase the amount of points you get from defeated enemies... But you lose your multiplier if you take too long between enemies, and you lose your score entirely if you hit a checkpoint or get hit. Furthermore, the Flashfield is tied to an EP meter, which drains while using Flashfield and certain other abilities, and prevents you from using Flashfield briefly if it hits 0, so you have to measure out your attacks so you don't run out of EP at a bad time. It helps that your EP recovers slowly while not in use, and you can refill your EP whenever you're on the ground by pressing down twice, but you're (very) briefly vulnerable while doing this, and it can't be done in the air, so it's not something you can do whenever you want, thereby creating risk not just of getting hit (which is always there) but of having to slow down because you shorted out your EP (this has happened to me many times)... Not sure that explained anything, and I probably got a bunch of stuff wrong in there, so if anyone knows more about Gunvolt's gameplay, please correct me), whereas from what I've seen Beck just has to shoot enemies until they glow so he can dash-kill them (again, if I'm wrong here, which I probably am, please correct me). Gunvolt is also helped by its decision to use Mega Man Zero/ZX as the basis for its core jump-and-shoot gameplay, which was faster-paced and already had a ranking system to judge how well you beat levels so its inclusion of a straight-up scoring system feels kind of like a natural extension of that, while MN9 used the slower-paced classic series as its base (nothing against classic Mega Man, but for a faster-paced Mega Man-alike type of game, it's probably best to ape one of the later platforming-based Mega Man serieses (not sure how to pluralize series, sorry), since they all had something to make you faster and, at least from the later X games onward, a ranking system of some sort that you could loosely base a scoring system on).
To be completely honest, Mighty No. 9 doesn't make me want to play Mighty No. 9. It doesn't pull me in in any way, it just looks strangely molasses-bound and boring.
It doesn't even make me want to play Mega Man. I get the Mega Man vibe from the graphics (and Mega Man 8 vibes from the voice acting), but the gameplay just doesn't say Mega Man to me.
It makes me want to play Azure Striker Gunvolt. That's what the gameplay reminds me of, a slower Gunvolt (hell, Mighty 3's weapon even looks kinda like Gunvolt's mode of attack) with worse graphics.

Last edited:

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
So it's finally already out? The news I bother hearing on it goes in one ear and out the other. What I've (maybe incorrectly) retained is that the game's development is best described as "shenanigans!".

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
So it's finally already out? The news I bother hearing on it goes in one ear and out the other. What I've (maybe incorrectly) retained is that the game's development is best described as "shenanigans!".
You are absolutely correct! They've stepped on every possible public relations landmine they could.

I think the best part is how average it is. It's not great, but not terrible enough to remember. It's going to fade into obscurity because the development was more interesting than the product. Kinda like Duke Nukem Forever!

G

girigiriHERO

As a long time Rockman fan starting when 2 was released (and having passed all the core canon and X-1,2,3,4) I can safely say that the hype for this that I initially had it gone due to the fact it looks like I'm suppose to rush through the game...I don't want that! I want to take my time and explore, which is why I love the original Rockman games. I will be getting the game for the sole reason it's only costing me $20.00-ish because I got it during a pre-order sale, but I'm so disappointed over how the final product looks, what the hell are you doin' Inafune?

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
I have to raise the obvious question: If you're so disappointed, why are you giving them your money? I mean, it doesn't matter what you think of a given title if they get your cash regardless.

G

girigiriHERO

I have to raise the obvious question: If you're so disappointed, why are you giving them your money? I mean, it doesn't matter what you think of a given title if they get your cash regardless.
Valid point.

First, I think it'll be an interesting piece of gaming history to actually have, and honestly I wouldn't do that if I was paying full price for it. The other reason is yes, it looks disappointing, but there are very few instances when actually picking up and playing a game has changed my opinion of it.

Lastly, as a general rule of thumb I tend to ignore others reviews as I'm not a main stream gamer (I don't like FPS games at all, I don't like realistic violence, and I tend to heavily gravitate towards rhythm games) so my likes and dislikes probably vary from the reviewers whom have probably played a lot more games than me and will judge it a lot more harshly comparing it to similar games.

EDIT: not to digress, but I actually found the reactions from the "anime fan on prom night" funnier than the actual "joke" (I use the term loosely). I don't like anime, but I'm smart enough to know they aren't all over weight virgins as the comment is probably insinuating. I can't believe people actually got offended over that.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
33% off isn't much of a discount in my eyes, but then I'm spoiled by steam. I might get it when it's eventally knocked down 75% or more, but probably not even then.

Edit: And on another token, I have to question charging 30 dollars for this. 20XX is decent, that's 12 bucks. Mega Man Legacy Collection, 15 digitally. I could go on, but that price tag seems a bit much compared to it's contemporaries.

How is it a piece of gaming history? It's the new Duke Nukem Forever, a mediocre game spawned by a troubled development. There's nothing special about it beyond extreme developer/publisher hubris. This isn't like Kingdoms of Amalur, the game that destroyed Rhode Island, to give an example. I think you should readreviews too, because mainstream gamers aside there's plenty of old-time Mega Man fans that are crapping on it. The average gamer is in their 30s after all. Eh!

I mean you're entitled to your opinion, but after the "anime fan on prom night" debacle I'm not in a hurry to give these guys my money :p

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
On a side note, people went on the warpath because R.Mika's butt slap was taken out. I'm not at all surprised that yes, anime fans are that sensitive. Doesn't take much for the torches and pitchforks to come out these days.

G

girigiriHERO

On a side note, people went on the warpath because R.Mika's butt slap was taken out. I'm not at all surprised that yes, anime fans are that sensitive. Doesn't take much for the torches and pitchforks to come out these days.
Maybe I'm a different type of person. To be honest, it sounds like the only people that would have a real reason to get angry would be the ones it hit home with.

For example, even though it was satirical, the video "7 reasons why Splatoon is for babies" is an absolute riot. Even if it were real, which unfortunately many people think it is, it'd still be funny as hell because it's just bull ****, as is the comment about anime fans.

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
Seems they did a better and voiceless trailer video so I could better understand what the game is like/about. It could convince me if I was interested. The previous lousy one being dumped on doesn't feel all that helpful to me even if you removed the insult. Feels like a 90s undertone or call back. "Buy this awesome game because it's awesome and has these awesome features! And you like aweesome stuff because awesome stuff is good. What's it about? I'm not sure but it's awesome so buy it and find out how awesome it is! The Awesome Game!"

@girigiriHERO, thank you for introducing me to "7 reasons why Splatoon is for babies" video and the following reaction video. Way~ too hilarious not to be taken seriously.

G

girigiriHERO

Seems they did a better and voiceless trailer video so I could better understand what the game is like/about. It could convince me if I was interested. The previous lousy one being dumped on doesn't feel all that helpful to me even if you removed the insult. Feels like a 90s undertone or call back. "Buy this awesome game because it's awesome and has these awesome features! And you like aweesome stuff because awesome stuff is good. What's it about? I'm not sure but it's awesome so buy it and find out how awesome it is! The Awesome Game!"

@girigiriHERO, thank you for introducing me to "7 reasons why Splatoon is for babies" video and the following reaction video. Way~ too hilarious not to be taken seriously.
I almost died during the reaction video when he read that one comment about sucking his d, I broke out laughing the same time they did. Without spoiling it, watch 7 reason Pokemon is for babies, it's equally as good.

TeaBee

Inkster Jr.
NNID
BuzzyTeaBee
Moral: Never mess with a Pirate's booty.

Also, I'm probably going to wait out on Mighty No.9 until it has a lower price like "Rodea: The Sky Soldier". I'm surprised that the game got a cheaper price two months after Christmas, reminds me of "Dark Souls 2". Other than waiting for that, I might get Gunvolt 2 even though I found that game to be disappointing at the end (I won't spoil the ending unless you want to know). In fact, I found the ending to dumb in a funny way even if it seemed "poetic". This might be just me, but what's with japan being poetic and their infatuation with similes?

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Well, Rodea was also unbelievably mediocre and a niche title to boot, of course the price tanked to nothing, no one was buying :P

TeaBee

Inkster Jr.
NNID
BuzzyTeaBee
Well, Rodea was also unbelievably mediocre and a niche title to boot, of course the price tanked to nothing, no one was buying :p
Honestly, I thought the game would have been better. Flying in the game can be pretty slow. Guess I really should look at reviews (minus spoilers) before buying a game. Except Star Fox, I will always love that game (Always~ o_o). Also about the R.Mika censor, I didn't notice that until I looked it up on YouTube.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Reviews aren't infallible, I'm sure we're all well aware of that, but spending a moment perusing them can give valuable information about the general vibe surrounding a game.

As for the R. Mika thing, that whole affair was dumb and completely blown out of proportion, but it makes for a good example.

G

girigiriHERO

@Dessgeega I'm not sure Sonic has the right to throw any punches around considering Mighty No.9 isn't full of game breaking glitches.

As for the R.Mika, wasn't that outraged by the general gaming public because it was believed to have been done to make SJWs happy. I don't think it was anime fans in general, I think it was people pissed off that the idiots SJWs who don't even play the games are complaining to make something fit there ideas of what should and shouldn't be acceptable. When that happens, so much for video games being a form of art.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom