• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Mighty No. 9 first impressions

G

girigiriHERO

First off, I had pre-ordered Mighty No. 9 for WIi U but due to reviews I never opened it and after 20 days I returned it. Recently I have been playing TMS#FE and while I enjoy the game, I discovered how to play it uncensored. After dumping my game and patching it, my curiousity got the best of my and I downloaded Mighty. No. 9. While I typically don't condone piracy, I don't see a problem with using it to try a game if a demo isn't available. With exception to this I have bought all my Wii U games and I still own my original TMS#FE copy even though I never need to put it in my system to play it.

I played the intro and I'll nit pick and go through a few things.

Minor Gripes: Right away it bugs me, but this is a SMALL gripe. The DEFAULT button layout is B confirm, A cancel. This isn't a Japanese thing (like how the buttons on the PS are reversed in NA), B has ALWAYS been cancel in every country for any Nintendo game and why they put an option in the menu to "reverse" the confirm and cancel boggles me mind, especially since choosing reverse sets it to B cancel A confirm like every other game on the face of the planet.

Loading: Playing this for a high speed SD card you'd think the game would load faster than a disc, if it is...I pity people who bought a physical copy. Even the menu options take around 30 seconds to load, applying takes 30 seconds to save, then you STILL have to exit the options. So 1.5 minutes just to change the button scheme.

Audio: I set the audio to Japanese because in my eyes, Japanese tends to have better voice acting (unless it's originally done in English, then I'll play the game with English audio) but even for this the voice acting is bland and uninteresting, the characters have little to no emotion. Maybe this is because I'm coming from a game like TMS#FE where the voice acting is actually very well done, but I doubt that's the case.

Control: Playing the game with the Wii U Pro Controller is floaty. The controls don't feel as tight as a typical Rockman game. It's clear that Inafune was trying to mimic the intro stage for Rockman X but it just doesn't feel right.

Mechanics: You're suppose to absorb enemies and while this seems simple enough it never dawned on me that I should rush in and absorb the "enemy" that is a giant laser wall...who would think you could? Typically you'd blow it up, but I figured maybe I should try and sure enough you can. While the game gives you no information regarding that. The first boss battle is ridiculous as well as it will turn purple, then you can rush it, otherwise it gains it's health back. I've never known a game where dashing directly IN TO the boss doesn't hurt you, but this game changes all of that, and leaves it up to the player to discover this.

I can say without a shadow of a doubt I will be deleting this. Had I enjoyed it, I would have gone and bought a copy (and continued to play it from the SD card with fear of the load times being even worse) but this game is DEFINITELY NOT worth the money. I've loved the entire original Rockman series since 2, beating all of the original canon games (minus 9 and 10) and Rockman X, X-2, and X-3. I own both collections on the Gamecube and I even bought the limited edition Rockman X Gamecube controller. So I am comparing it as a predecessor to the original Rockman games. I'm sure some people will enjoy it, and I even gave it a try, but I'm just not feeling it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom