• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Splatoon 2 Mini or Zimi Debate

MotorGamer

Inkling Cadet
NNID
MotorGamer
Which weapon in your opinion is better, and yes there won’t be a clear winner because obviously one has more killing potential while the other is better at turfing...but let’s just debate.

MotorGamer

Inkling Cadet
NNID
MotorGamer
Ok, now this is going to be a long post, so going to put them in folders so they don’t take up space.
Ok so my main in this game the Mini Splatling. I am only going to talk sub and special here, because obviously the main weapon is the same. Burst bomb. I recently said this, but burst bomb isn’t a hot pick for this weapon as in terms of what it could have been. First out, going to point out the obvious. It can’t burst cancel. Already taking away one of the three main reasons why you might want a burst in your weapon kit, let me list those right here:
1.Burst Canceling
2.Vertical Mobility
3.Margin for Error
For those who don’t know, Burst canceling is where you throw a Burst at your target and them hit with your main, which would normally kill faster than just firing your main the whole time. Since the Mini has to charge up, it makes that difficult. You may be able to Burst Cancel, but it would take so much precision, accuracy, and just assuming to be able to get it to work, so I just ignore it. Next up is vertical mobility, now this is actually a thing that can help the Mini! Although not a lot, because this thing is a pretty fast turner, ground and walls alike, although it is probably in most cases still faster. Margin for Error, this can kind of go hand in hand with burst canceling, but instead of going for the specific speed of kills, this just means you don’t need to hit as many shots to kill, so accuracy isn’t needed. But alas, just like a Burst Canceling, this isn’t too effective here. One of the Minis strengths is to output so much Ink while its releasing charge, and same goes for damage, by the time you throw that burst bomb, I rather have a full charge going to try to hit the guy, not assuming how many shots it will take to splat them, because that is predicting something that can’t be predicted accurately. This all takes a level of confidence in yourself that you know how this weapon works, you don’t know the specific amount of damage the burst did, and you probably don’t know the numbers when it comes to how accurate and how many shots you can hit, because of RnG.
Ok next, the special, Tenta Missles, not half bad IMO, although once again not the absolute best, considering this is a low tier special, although they do mesh decently at least. Mainly when I use the Tenta Missles, it’s so An can either spread people apart so I can pick them off, or so I can group them together if my team is already surrounding them. I rarely use these things to kill, but just to manipulate, which I think was the purpose of these things, which is why I think people give this a low tier generally, because they use it for kills and not for manipulation. Well, as I said before, manipulating people is really good when you are a front liner, they will be busy running away, meanwhile I am hiding in some ink or behind a wall, ready to surprise attack for the kill. And yes at this point if you hadn’t notice I am a strategic slayer. I am going to give some tips on how to specifically use them in ranked modes. In Splat Zones, you want the enemy out of the zone, so don’t try to surround the zone, try to push them out with Tenta Missles. In Tower Control, it can go both ways, you might what the enemy off the tower, or you might want to the enemy out of the way of your team pushing the Tower. In Rainmaker, you don’t specifically want to be pushing, unless if no one possess the Rainmaker yet, but if the enemy team has it pull them into a certain area with your team surrounding them to go for a kill. Clam Blitz, I have nothing to say except maybe fire the Tentas to get the enemy away from your basket.

hoo

Inkling
NNID
jawsbenjamin3
Switch Friend Code
SW-5606-6403-6999
Zimi because ink storm is 20x better than tenta missles.
Ink storm is effectively a giant area denial while tenta missles are just annoying and nothing more.

AllToonedUp

Inkling Cadet
I'd have to say Zimi since it inks turf easily and can spam Ink Storm. It can kill fine without Burst Bombs.

RocketsTail

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-2874-2863-4789
I think most are going to prefer ink storm to missiles any day. I know I do....it's my favorite special. I rarely played the mini until the Zink came along. Even in ranked modes, I think ink storm is a better special...especially in SZ. Once you get to a certain level, most players know how to dodge missiles. The only time I think missiles are good is if multiple people on your team also have them and spam them back to back. Or if you have good teammates who know how to utilize your missiles to help go in for the kill.....but in solo that rarely happens.

*also, I always use Special Power Up gear.....so that increases my ink storm.

Mar$el

Inkling Commander
I think most would agree the zimi is superior to the mini. It's kit allows for increased mobility and an upper hand in tougher situations. It's more front line than the mini and is generally more useful. The mini is meant to be an aggro splatling, and you just don't get that with the vanilla variant. The inkstorm allows for more control and more predictable movement from the enemy team as well as giving chip damage. The main weapon shreds through people and it's kit enforces that type of contact which helps it be successful. Burst bombs are pretty useless on the weapon and missiles are just not good compared to the other specials.

MotorGamer

Inkling Cadet
NNID
MotorGamer
Like most people, I do prefer the Ink Storm over the Tenta Missles, I just find that Burst Bomb is just miles better than the Curling Bomb. I find Burst Bomb ok on the Mini, my main problem being lack of burst canceling, but the Curling Bomb is like useless to me on the thing. I think the Zimi would be miles better if it didn’t have that from in Curling Bomb.

supgamer76

Inkster Jr.
NNID
supremegamer2
Switch Friend Code
SW-5939-9546-1673
i feel like zimi is better on turf wars and splat zones, while mini is better on rainmaker, clam blitz, and tower control. i could be wrong.

ThatOneGuy

Inkling Commander
NNID
BattadaBeast
I'd say

Zink Mini for most, if not all zones maps.
Vanilla Mini for some Tower Control maps (namely the ones without long cooridors)
Zink Mini for most rainmaker maps (the curling bomb / inkstorm make great paths for your push)
Vanilla Mini for some Clam Blitz maps where the teams are forced to cluster in order to defend.

Most of the time, the choice is made because of tenta missles. They just hold the weapon back since they're slow to actually get things done with, and they're extremely inconsistent. Burst bomb is a nice pick for a map for a lot of inkable walls, but the mini is capable of getting a wall painted quick enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom