• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

-Missing- IC Thread: RP Cast Filled

ReedRGale

Inkling Commander
And so the GM said "Let the RP begin!"

@Aykorn :
Cooler Heads; the favorite hangout of one particular kid, Wade Arroyo. Headwear and headgear of all kinds cover the walls and line the shelves wherever one turns. The Booyah Base remix played gently in the background as he strode in. But there was something wrong. The one thing that was supposed to always be there, the one person that made the store what it was; where the shell was Annie!

Behind the counter was a tall, professional suit-and-tie. Grey tux and tie, gentlemanly and suave. The impression he gave off was impressive. But wrong. He wasn't supposed to be here! The adult inkling stood there, like he owned the place. But he didn't.

What do you do, Wade?

@lonelyrollingsquid

Kiki Haught heads home after a long day of turf wars. Running around with the Carbon roller all day can really tire one out, but after hours on end of holding the weapon, Kiki feels odd without the weapon in her hand. It was natural that one wasn't allow to take a weapon out of the base where there was a safe respawn unit, but all squids sometimes imagine what it would be like to take the weapon and ink up their neighborhood... right?

But not so perfectly natural that there be a kid running around with an actual Splattershot running around the residential area. They wore a beanie, glasses and a 'kerchief over their face and if that didn't hit as suspicious the clearly drawn weapon did. The black-shirted kid ran down a nearby alley just out of sight, not having noticed Kiki, probably preoccupied with something else.

What do you do, Kiki?

@5magmacubes

Surfing the web is second nature to Dehnn Ika. As an aspiring programmer, it's his business to surf the web. Normally this is to check out Wiwipedia for some interesting tidbit of information involving a weapon or what the brand designer was thinking or search Gooble to iron out some kink in a class or method he'd recently failed to compile--hey all programmers make mistakes.

But this was interesting. Keeping up with local news is always annoying, but sometimes really important. This was one of those times. Someone on the darknet was claiming to know what happened to Callie and Marie. Now, there are plenty of theories, but few have the actually knew what had happened to the two.

The topic says something about "needing to talk right now," "sensitive information" and "wanting to meet in an alleyway." It's kind of obvious why people aren't buying it. But they provide a photo the inside of Callie and Marie's home... how could they have got that? ...it is a ten minute jog back to the main square.

What do you do Dehnn?

@Banshee

Evening is one of Alga Sargasso's favorite times. That is... a time when no one is usually around. Sure, there's the stray inkling here and there still hopping in and out of the lobby battling through the night--hardcore they called themselves--most had gone off for bed. The alleys were nice, but there was something nice about being able to play in the open without worrying about people bugging you that was freeing.

"Hey, you, Squiddo! Yeah, you with the guitar!"

Of course, as that thought passes through her head, someone had to interrupt. She could just ignore the voice coming from below her. She could just keep strumming her guitar and ignore him. It would be pretty easy.

"I know you can hear me, kid! Hey!"

...what do you do Alga?

((Out of Character (OOC) chat should be put between double parenthesis, like this. Try to keep OOC chat to the OOC thread, though--that's the recruitment thread because I can't change its title, though I'll ask a mod.

Otherwise, if you feel I've mischaracterized your character and want me to edit their actions or feelings, feel free. I hope this is the only time I have to do this, but it's just to get the ball rolling.

Remember to post information, then your action in this form:

**Dialogue** hello everyone these are words and stuff yeah look at me type stuff about what's going on in the scene and describing why my character is doing what they're doing

**Action** Action: Target <-- remember to bold.

Anyway! Have fun!))

Reminders:

Posts are Due: Tuesday, 21st of July at 11:59 am
Talk [use on people you want to start a conversation with]
Examine/Observe [use on things that you want more details on]
Use [use on things that you intend to use in some way--please specify how you're using it]
Attack [use on people or objects you intend to hurt or break, specify any weapons you might be using]
Shadow [use this to try to stealthily follow a target. I'll make rolls on whether you succeed or not]
Ink / Go To ______ [use this to travel from one place to another relatively quickly; ink if it's something specific, like a kettle, Go To if it's a general area]
Call [use on a person that you want to call (talk, but when not in the area)--or a item that has a number on it to contact someone you don't know]
Research [some topic; need to be in a library or have access to a computer--shellphones don't count]

Last edited:

Aykorn

Inkling Commander
NNID
A_korn
Switch Friend Code
SW-5939-8938-2753
Wade stood frozen in the doorway of Cooler Heads. Instead of the adorable anemone gal he wanted to see, a stoic older inkling stood behind the cashier.

There were so many things wrong with this picture, he thought to himself. First, the formal collar shirt and suit stuck out like a sore thumb in the the middle of the urban, hipster-y hat shop. Not like Annie, with her pudgy, pink tentacle-hair and comfy hoodie. Second, they were just waiting behind the desk. Annie would shuffle around the shop, letting her demonic clown-fish yell at people, and then bow super dramatically when anyone bought something. Third of all, Annie? Annie?? Where was ANNIE?? Just....gone??

And worst of all, in her absence, her replacement was another stiff dude! Another "man-in-grey" like the people taking over Inkopolis News for Callie...and Marie....

Still standing in the doorway, Wade could feel his expression melt into pure horror. Callie and Marie had been gone for....how long? At least a month?

The cashier started to give Wade a somewhat concerned look, as Wade continued to block the entrance and appear more terror stricken from simply entering the store. Wade flinched, catching the man staring, and suddenly feeling like he had just realized something he shouldn't have. In a attempt to stay cool and rational Wade...
left the dang shop.

Pacing a loop outside Cooler Heads with his hands on his head, Wade cried out loud to himself. "Holy Cuttle-Kraken! This is...this is so messed up!"

He started frantically recalling the Squid Sisters going off air for "sick leave" and --Wade checked the date on his phone-- that had been a month and a half ago. Even a fan like him had stopped counting down the days when they'd return. Then he thought, what had happened to Annie?

Wade glanced at the "substitute clerk" through the window. He would have a explanation. He also probably had a view of Wade's meltdown outside.

Wade inhaled deeply, trying to compose himself and play it cool. He needed to know what happened so he prepared to enter the shop once more.

Walking into the store for Round Two, he strolled as casually as he could up to the front desk. Hints of panic and everything-being-totally-wrong still lingered in his voice, but he felt formal speech would get him the farthest.

Wade began, "Excuse me? Sir...? What happened to Anni--the usual store clerk? Why isn't she here today?"

Talk: Suit-and-Tie

Last edited:

lonelyrollingsquid

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Selfcat
Kiki took a moment to register what she had seen. An armed inkling, running amuck within her own neighborhood. She felt daunted by the fact that she could easily be splatted while dangerously far from a spawn point, and yet, she felt oddly intrigued by the inkling. How had they managed to get passed the officials in the base? And what were they doing with it?

She realised that the time she spent wondering was making time for them to get away. Did she even want to follow them? She was fearful of getting caught, but was also afraid of being left wondering forever.

Before Kiki knew it, she was running after the strange squid, taking care in making sure her sneakers weren't grating on the pavement as she turned into the alleyway. Her breaths were short from effort and anxiety as she struggled to catch up to the inkling. Soon she caught sight of them again and slowed her pace to match theirs. She began to trail behind them stealthily and hoped she wouldn't regret this.

Shadow: Suspicious inkling.

Banshee

Full Squid
NNID
Laddy-Daddy
It had taken much courage to step out into the evening light with her guitar in hand, and as the Inkling below called out, Alga berated herself harshly for drawing herself from the safety of the back alleys. Sure, the plaza was much less crowded during dusk, but people were still here nevertheless, no matter how few in number. She was bound to have been noticed.

Heart pounding in her chest, Alga waved outwards once to show she heard, sliding from her spot on the balcony to frantically place her guitar back into its case. The instrument itself was a sleek thing, curved sharply and colored an ink black with only a dark green squid emblem decal covering much of the front's right side, and shaped in such a way that it was designed for a left-handed person to use. It was possibly her most precious possession, one of the few things she'd manage to purchase with her own money, and she didn't want anything to happen to it. Though, playing in front of anyone(or even just having it out where they could see it) made her grievously uncomfortable.

Alga quickly strapped her instrument up and closed the large case, clamping it shut on both ends before pushing it against the wall. With her guitar safe away from prying eyes, she turned back towards the one in search of her attention and grabbed the railing with trembling hands for a modicum of support before speaking with trepidation.

Please go away, please go away, please go away--

...An old squid?

Yes, now that she looked at him more closely, it did look as though an elderly Inkling was the one trying to catch her attention. An old, spindly senior dressed in the rags of an old military uniform and with a beard that seemed too wild to tame, he looked nothing like her Turf War obsessed peers. In fact, he looked quite a lot like her grandpappy, who was a gentle old squid and rarely ever got angry at anything.

This similarity made Alga relax minutely, breathing slowing just a bit as the grip on the railing loosened. He seemed kind...

"...Yeah?"

Talk: Unfamiliar Inkling

Last edited:

ReedRGale

Inkling Commander
Onward, then!

Dehnn has been frozen in time. 5magmacubes will receive one warning. At one warning, I will wait one less day for the player's post until their activity stabilizes. Two more and I will be required to remove them from the game.

:l

@5magmacubes Just remember to post this time around. ^u^ These tags will hopefully get your attention.

@Aykorn :
Talk: Suit-and-Tie

Wade began, "Excuse me? Sir...? What happened to Anni--the usual store clerk?
Why isn't she here today?"

“Unfortunately,” the businessman said, “she is out sick right now. Is there anything, in the mean time, that I can help you with?”

“Sick?” Wade cringed, but brushed off the question, “ No no, I’m good...Wait, what do you mean by sick?”

“I mean what I meant; she’s feeling a little under the weather right now and couldn’t come into work, I’m simply a substitute, you should see her again in time,” he smiled politely then narrowed his focus on the boy. “Are you two... close?”

Wade was paralyzed by the question, his eyes darting around the floor to avoid looking at the man now. “I...have no idea what you’re talking about! I’m just a valued customer who is... very, very concerned about Annie’s well-being.” He paused and shifted his feet. “Very concerned.”

The man grinned slightly continuing to exude an air of calm, then said, “I am not at liberty to reveal how our customers are doing, but I understand your concern.” He took out a business card from his wallet in a swift motion. “If you are as… concerned as you say, you might want to contact my company. I may not reveal personal information as a company policy, but people above me might.”

He put his wallet back with a swift motion. “Was there anything else I could help you find?” he continued. “Perhaps a nice new piece of headgear? What brand are you looking for? Krak-on? Squidforce? Anne ‘n’ Nami? We just got in a new headset that looks to be all the rage; Squidforce Shellphone support, too.”

Wade took the card and looked down at it, in a sort of wonder. He had expected it to be harder to get a contact, or to have any information be all shady and confidential. He also didn’t expect the adult inkling to be as nice and forth-coming.

Now more relaxed, Wade responded, “Nah, I’ve already got plenty of headgear. These headphones are just fine, but thanks.” He peered up from the card and smirked. “ But if you really wanted to sell more hats, you should try something on. Sunglasses maybe? To go with the suit and tie? Maybe something more casual since you already look way too stiff.”

“Can’t,” the man shrugged, “company policy. There are a lot of them. Ironic I ended up selling hats then, isn’t it?”

“Yeah,” Wade agreed. “Sucks.”

He glanced down at the card again, then grinned back at the man. “Hey, thanks!” He said, then turned to head out the door.

“No problem,” the man ended calmly. “If you need anything more, I’ll be here.”

Wade went out the door and into the scramble crossing. It was rather dead around now and all but the most serious ink battlers were out and about right now. Called themselves "fresher than fresh." Still, there were quite a few people out and about.

There were a few kids discussing tactics walking to the train station. One kid was kicked back against the wall just checking out every person--people watching probably--but he was looking right at Wade. One girl with a guitar case and odd colored tentacles was chatting with an older man.

Well anyway, the Lobby wasn't open 24/7, though, so even they would need to go back to their apartments soon. The sun was setting and no one really stuck around except during Splatfest. Well, most everyone anyway.

They day is late. What will you do, Wade?

@lonelyrollingsquid

Shadow: Suspicious Inkling

The most obvious thing about the kid was that he was distracted. You'd think that anyone walking around in a residential area openly toting a weapon would be a little more... discrete. The area wasn't exactly the most populated, though, so it wasn't that hard to get away with it, as long as no one was following you into the alleyways.

Well, too bad that was the case. Kiki, still a little scared, but she was careful not to make too much sound as she tailed the inkling. They took a pretty odd path that seemed like he was trying to shake her off... it was a little scary. She couldn't help but think what made her do this, but if there had to be one, it wasn't curiosity. It was the danger this kid might pose. If this kid hurt someone when she knew that they were running around, fully armed then... well, how could she forgive herself?

Darting from hiding place to hiding place, Kiki kept pace with the kid who while making himself hard to follow, wasn't impossible to keep pace with. Eventually, after turn after turn... so many winds that Kiki wasn't sure if she could make her way back home, they came to a clearing, where there were three other inklings. Also, fully armed.

Keeping herself hidden, she could see the group and they seemed to be talking. Maybe scolding the other? They were all wearing the same beanies and scarves, but their outfits differed from one to the other. From this distance, Kiki could make out that one was wearing a red vest, another a black layered shirt and a yellow hoodied kid. Still, she was too far away to make out anything they were saying.

They seem like their conversation is ending. What do you do, Kiki?

@Banshee

Talk: Unfamiliar Inkling

"...Yeah?"

“Haha! I knew you'd notice me! So, how about it squiddo, you wanna be a hero?" The old man seemed nice enough, if possibly senile, but something about his words seemed true. There was a sincerity in the odd promise."

"A hero...?" Her brow furrowed, and she responded with skepticism. "I'm...not sure you have the right person, mister. I'm not...really a hero." What an odd question to ask someone, if they wanted to be a hero. In this day and age, heroes only ever existed in movies. Right?

"Bah, don't be shy! You got that look in your eye!" The old man's mustache twitched up on one side, which probably means that he was smiling. "And your tentacles! Buscuits, you look like you were born to be a hero. So unique!"

Alga inhaled in surprise, eyes wide as they stared the old man down. This was unexpected. He'd actually- He'd actually complimented her color. Her color. Good great Zapfish, when was the last time she'd heard anything even remotely close to what he had just spoken from anyone other than family? Certainly not since she could really remember.

As a blush rose unbidden to her cheeks, Alga couldn't help the smile that wormed its way onto her face. "I-- Well, um...! T-Thanks, uh..."

As she stumbled around words, the man hobbled up next to her. He patted her on the back. More a slap that could wind an inkling--he was stronger than he looked. "Hah! Don't worry about it. I know 'em when I see 'em."

His expression quickly changed, though, from silly to serious, "and trust me, this city is in dire need of a hero, young inkling."

A gasp left her mouth as the old Inkling's hand made contact, and Alga very nearly went stumbling. Righting herself with aid from the balcony railing, she rubbed her shoulder with a wince, taking in the other's words with just a bit of skepticism.

"Why? What's wrong with Inkopolis?" The stutter had all but left her voice in the wake of this senior squid's kind presence and familiar face, and she was thankful for that.

"You know the Squid Sisters, right? Of course you know them! I'll have you know I'm quite proud of my little squidlings..." he started to trail off and mumble to himself, rambling something that seemed to be proud musings of a parent or grandparent.

"Well," he said, getting back on track, "I can't say much here, but they've met a pretty terrible fate." He seemed a little taken aback.

Alga blinked in the midst of the man's musing, furrowing a brow in confusion as he spoke of the Squid Sisters who, to her knowledge, had been missing for a month and a half now. Call her callous, call her detached, but when she spoke it was with naught more than simple curiosity.

"They have? How so?"

It may have been heartless to say, but truth be told the Inkling girl had felt very little when the news of the Squid Sisters' disappearance reached her. In all honesty, they had never quite appealed to her. They were pop idols oozing freshness, singing and dancing and dressing to look their most fabulous. For a recluse like her who much more appealed to the low chords of some good heavy metal, the two stars of Inkopolis were, at best, a little deterring.

"Once again," he said, "I can't say here, too many prying eyes..." He nervously glanced up to the booth where Callie and Marie used to announce from. There was the businessman, sitting in the booth, sipping something; probably coffee. He always had a cup of coffee when he announced the daily news.

"I can say that as things are, I'm in over my head and I need help I can get," he looked into Alga's eyes, a kindly yet pained look on his face, and pleaded "I'm too old to be a hero now, but you can be. How about it?"

"Are you... Are you sure? I'm... Well, I'm not a fighter. I have horrible aim, I always have, and the only thing I'm really good at is playing guitar... Am I really c-cut out for this?"

Alga's gaze focused downward, and on impulse she gathered a tentacle into her arms, stroking over its green hued tip in a sudden outpour of shyness. She was nothing remarkable to be sure. She had no bright and wondrous colors the other inklings. Instead, she had brown, a simple and plain color that looked unseemly in the light, with only dark shades of green at the tips of her tentacles to compensate. A hero? It seemed unlikely…

"There's plenty you can do," he said, assuredly, "being a hero isn't all about what you can shoot and what you can kill. It's about being able to make choices... hard choices. Trust me, I know." For the first time in the conversation, the old man actually seemed… well, old.

“We all have to make hard choices in life and being able to make the right ones is something that only a few people can do,” the old man looked away from her, and sniffed. Was he crying? “You seem like someone who would have suffered quite a bit of hardship in the world, so you should have a better idea of right and wrong than others. We need people like that. Especially now.”

He handed a worn out sheet that had a number on it, “give it some thought, squiddo. Once you make a decision, call me. I won’t force you. But you could be someone pretty great.” And with that, he hobbled off. Leaving Alga there to ponder what he said.

There weren't many people left in the plaza. Some kids were heading home after battling and one other was watching everyone around... he seemed a little shifty in any case. Then, there was another, who just popped out of the hat shop, doing some late-night shopping?

So, Alga, what will do?

((Once again, if you feel I've mischaracterized your character and want me to edit their actions or feelings, feel free to shoot me a PM. Or shoot me, if you can find me and don't want to keep playing this game.))

Reminders:

Posts are Due: Saturday, 25th of July at 11:59 am
Use [use on things that you intend to use in some way--please specify how you're using it]
Attack [use on people or objects you intend to hurt or break, specify any weapons you might be using]
Shadow [use this to try to stealthily follow a target. I'll make rolls on whether you succeed or not]
Ink / Go To ______ [use this to travel from one place to another relatively quickly; ink if it's something specific, like a kettle, Go To if it's a general area]
Call [use on a person that you want to call (talk, but when not in the area)--or a item that has a number on it to contact someone you don't know]
Research [some topic; need to be in a library or have access to a computer--shellphones don't count]

Aykorn

Inkling Commander
NNID
A_korn
Switch Friend Code
SW-5939-8938-2753
Wow, already dusk out.
Wade briefly looked up from the card, as to not trip, exiting the store and heading into the Plaza.

It was starting to get darker outside, but not dark enough that he couldn't see the small print. Wade flipped over the card, giving it a thorough look-over.

Examine: Business Card

Last edited:

ReedRGale

Inkling Commander
@Aykorn :
Examine: Business Card

It's rather well-designed, at the very least. Minimalistic and informative. Sharp edges, white text on black card. Turns out this isn't the stand-in's personal business card as it doesn't include his name or number, but a company business card. Besides the typical company name at the top in a cursive font--Deepview--an address and number is included. To top of the simple design

Deepview: our trust runs deep.

Last edited:

Aykorn

Inkling Commander
NNID
A_korn
Switch Friend Code
SW-5939-8938-2753
Wade "hmm'd." Deepview. Weird.

Well, not really, but it just wasn't the company he expected.
For some reason, probably since they were substituting prominent people in Inkopolis, he'd thought all the Suit-and-ties worked for SquidForce.

Wade looked up, mulling over that last thought. Sure, SquidForce was the probable "force" behind ink battles, setting up inflatables during matches and supplying Splatfest shirts, but... those were all fun things. The whole, stiff "can't-wear-hats" didn't fit with that image at all. Wade thoughtfully put his fist over his mouth. A bit off the mark, he thought.

That meant Deepview probably specialized in stand-in people ...or whatever. Wade narrowed his eyes slightly. He really had never heard of this company before. A better guess would probably be a medical "company" or institution. since everyone they dealt with seemed to be sick. It would be useful if that kind of information was on the card in the first place. Wade considered going back in and asking the cashier, but he decided not to, moving away from the store entrance.

Wade flipped over the card once more, just to see if he missed anything on the back. What he was really disappointed about was there seemed to be no e-mail. That meant a straight-up phone call, which wasn't bad, but being able to check what he typed before sending it was nice.

The first thing on his list of "to do's" when he got home was to do a quick internet search on Deepview. He kept the card in his hand in an attempt to not lose it right away. If the outdoor lighting was any better, he might have taken a photo of it with his phone, especially knowing that the card would eventually find its way into a dusty corner.

Speaking of the outdoor lighting, it was getting semi-late. While he would love to stick around, it would probably best to bike home before it got completely pitch dark. Wade started to move towards the bike rack in front of the Tower, but not before giving the plaza a quick glance around.

Cool people, and by that he meant pro-players, came out at this time and the few late night matches he'd had with them were some intense fun. Some kids were talking turf strategy, a conversation Wade totally want to weasel into, but this one dude caught his eye.

He was just leaning up against a wall and people watching, but then he looked right at Wade. Their gazes locked for a moment.

Wade blinked, then what he usually did when he made random eye contact with people. He just kept looking back, flashing a smile towards the guy.

Examine: That one dude propped against the wall

Last edited:

ReedRGale

Inkling Commander
@Aykorn :
Examine: That one dude propped against the wall

Didn't anyone teach him it's rude to stare?

The kid wore a dark vest and dark shoes which matched his purple tentacles. They hung down, short and untied. To do with the dark attire, he had shades propped on his head, probably because as dusk set in, it would probably become nigh impossible to see. His orange eyes were fixed on the card before meeting Wade's.

After a short glance, he beckoned Wade to come closer. As he did the boy said, "that number's not gonna get you anywhere."

Last edited:

Aykorn

Inkling Commander
NNID
A_korn
Switch Friend Code
SW-5939-8938-2753
Wade smiled, a nice gesture to brush off an accidental stare, but as he kept looking back, the boy's orange eyes dipped down slightly. He looked intently at the card Wade was still holding up. With that, the purple-haired inkling motioned his head for Wade to come closer. Wade's smile somewhat dropped; this person clearly wasn't staring on accident.

As Wade walked closer, he had a much better view of the boy. Wow, this inkling's clothing really screamed... edgy.

Like, the Dark Vest? With the useful cold-blooded slot and 3 star rarity, that could have easily been a tactical choice in ink battles. And he could also assume that this person at least had some ink battle know-how since Jelonzo had sold it to him. But, the sunglasses? That put the whole outfit over the top. They were trying too hard.

The matching purple ink and dark shoes were just icing on the cake.

Wade kept the fashion analysis to himself, though. Mainly because knowing the Vest's stats off the top of head was not something he wanted to admit. So many people wore that fricking vest. He couldn't help it.

As he moved in, the boy spoke up. "That number's not gonna get you anywhere."

Wade blinked, his eyes widening in slight confusion. He opened his mouth to say something, but stopped, formulating a better question.

"...What do you mean?"

Talk: Edgy kid

Last edited:

Banshee

Full Squid
NNID
Laddy-Daddy
Alga was left in silence, watching as the old Squid hobbled off back to who-knows-where, and once he was gone she deigned to look down at the scrap of paper in her hand with an air of uncertainty.

What did she do? He had said that he would give her time to think, which surely she needed, but...what to do? What were the pros? The cons? Were there others he was looking into recruiting? Were there going to be other Inklings she had to fight along with? Would it be dangerous? He seemed like a senile sort of character at first glance, it wouldn't surprise her if he was left to his lonesome. If that were the case then she certainly wouldn't mind joining him.

But, danger, the threat of new things and new places. It all set her on edge, and while Alga felt the inclination to join him, fear kept her in check. Should she go? It didn't seem so bad-- But then, it was something different, far different, what if there were other people? No, no, couldn't risk it. But she wanted--!

Alga needed answers.

But, one look down at the paper in her hand and she huffed to herself. No good; he'd just left. It would seem rather embarrassing to call him just after his departure. Best leave it for a bit.

Glancing upwards and out into the plaza, the Inkling distracted herself briefly with the sight of the evening sunset, eyes scanning the shops. The idea briefly came for her to check them out, but quickly the notion was put to rest as an idle thought. There was no squidding way they would ever let her through. She could go back home...

Yes, that sounded alright. She needed to distract herself a bit from the her daunting choice anyhow. The answer would come on it's own. It always did, eventually.

Standing straight, Alga turned to gather her guitar case into her grip and, hefting it up onto her back where it almost dwarfed her in size by comparison, she quietly made her way down to ground level and began for the entrance of the plaza.

Go To: Home

lonelyrollingsquid

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Selfcat
Kiki felt her heart jump in her chest as she realized the group was beginning to break up. There were four of them now, all armed, and she sure as heck wasn't ready to confront any of them.

She began to inch away from the gathering, keeping her back pressed against the wall, before breaking into a sprint and running back through the twisting path that she had come.
However, her adrenaline pumped anxiety soon wore out and she was left standing in another unfamiliar alleyway.

While she regained her breath she took a moment to contemplate what a ridiculous idea she had had. Tailing the inkling by herself? What if they had caught her? What if they were following her now?

She shuddered at the last thought and decided it was time to keep moving. She stood up, breathing in the cool sundown air and set to finding her way back home.

ReedRGale

Inkling Commander
@Aykorn :
Talk: Edgy Kid

"That number's not gonna get you anywhere."

Wade blinked, his eyes widening in slight confusion. He opened his mouth to say something, but stopped, formulating a better question.

"...What do you mean?"

“What I mean is that that number,” he pointed down at the card, “will mostly just lead you though a nice loop of questions that doesn’t really end. Automatic answering machine and all that.”

Wade flipped out the card, glancing at the number then back at the kid with a perplexed expression. “What… have you tried it?”

“First thing I thought of when the Squid Sisters went AWOL,” he shrugged. “Figure out who’s backing the man. Follow that to what happened to the sisters. A little sweet-talking got me to a nice chat with Mr Suit up there in the--ah, he left.” The stand-in announcer was no longer in his booth. Well, it was getting late.

“Anyway,” the edgy kid continued, “I got a card like you did. Called ‘em up. Nothing. Address leads to a corporate building, but there’s no visitor’s office... to say the least. And as there’s no way to book, well… you get the idea.” He shrugged. “You’re best off letting go and moving on. I did.”

Wade’s shoulders dropped in despair. “You’re kidding…”

“I don’t kid.”

A smirked slipped onto Wade’s face, “But the real question is, do you squid,” he joked.

“I don’t squid, no. In fact, I was never down with that pun thing.” He frowned. Actually, that grimace seemed to be part of his whole getup.

“Uh, yeah, sorry. Just messing around.” Wade cringed and zipped his lips. Wow, Officer Killjoy reporting for duty.

He got back on topic, “but really, there was nothing? You didn’t learn anything from the automation? Maybe it was the wrong building?” He was trying to be hopeful here.

“Nothing, seriously. I’m pretty good at finding large corporate buildings in the middle of a city that have a logo on it and everything. I went in, but there wasn’t anyone there to greet me, just a hallway and locked doors.” He shrugged, “maybe I missed something on the phone call, but you’ll probably just end up in a loop like I did. Honestly, it was a little creepy.”

Then, something seemed to hit him, though all it came to as a quirk of his eyebrows. “Oh. There was one thing. I can’t find very much about Deepview online, but they have a tiny blurb at the beginning of their autoresponder. That gives a bit about the company. Not much, but it’s something, I guess. Ah, that’s another thing. You can’t really find Deepview online too much.” Then something seemed to click and the boy started thinking, “but then, why have so few noticed? More people must have taken the same route as me. More dedicated people…”

Wade listened, trying to absorb everything, but as the realization hit the other inkling, Wade was starting to get... apprehensive. It was possible to get search engines to take results down, which really threw a wrench into his own plans, but this was uncanny. As the boy spoke Wade started connecting ideas.

Deepview… vague business cards, no information online, empty company building… that all sounded like they were trying to say as little as possible… or hide as much as they could.

Locked doors…

He put his fist to mouth, lost in thought and trying to hide the dread that was starting to eat at him. Where did the Squid Sisters come in? Or Annie for that matter? All this secrecy and the prolonged absence of the idol duo? Deepview was the only connection to these “sick” people, and he just knew there were avid fans who would’ve unearthed something about their beloved newscasters at this point.

The fact that they hadn’t… Suddenly he hoped no one had overheard this talk.

Wade snapped out his focus and abruptly started chattering. “So, I should quit looking into this? Gotcha! Done,” he exclaimed. With a forced grin, he crumpled the business card in his hand and made a show of letting it drop to the ground.

“But, so you said, this building, it was totally empty right? No one to talk to...empty halls… locked doors?” He put a sympathetic hand to his chest, “that… is a total letdown,” and then a dramatic sigh, “But what can you do?”

The kid’s look sharpened, then some sort of realization clicked in his head. “Yeah, what can you do? Too bad about your card, but it can do something useful, right?” The boy picked up the card and uncrumpled it. Taking out a pen, then cursing himself for realizing the card was too black to write on legibly, he reached into his vest pocket for something else.

White-Out.

Quickly, he flicked out some characters… a number and a short message: Jax Tilt; find something? Call me. “You seem interesting, so there’s my number. Call me up, it’d be fun to do some Turf Wars or something.”

He wordlessly took the crumpled card, giving Jax a genuine smile. “Yeah, it would be fun. Thanks.”

Wade turned away for a moment, his voice growing serious to confirm one last thing. “No one was in the building, right?”

“It was a hallway. There wasn’t exactly a help desk, detective,” he quipped.

Wade spun around and gave a wry grin. “Again, thanks. That was all I needed to know. I should probably go home before it’s too late, but… I guess I’ll see you around?”

“If you don’t, I will,” he stretched a little, “you may be headed home, but I’m gonna be on duty now. The lobby doesn’t clean itself.” And with that, he began walking off.

“Lobby duty?” Wade asked, suddenly curious. “You have access to the Tower after hours?”

“More like glorified janitor,” he replied, still walking away, “‘Sanitation Inspector’ they call it. But yes.”

“Huh.” With an acknowledging click of his tongue, Wade smirked, and watched Jax walk off, but not before yelling “See ya!” one last time. Still standing in the plaza and tapping his foot, Wade could already feel a stupid idea brewing. But before he could get ahead of himself, he dashed over to his bike.

It was time to go home.

@lonelyrollingsquid [COLOR=#ffffff]Just realized, apartment or house?[/COLOR]

Discretion is the better part of valor, or something like that. Whatever those four were up to was a bad idea and honestly, Kiki didn't want any part of it. Luckily, it seemed as if she had avoided the best of it for now

Finding her way home was not an easy task. There were many twists and turns that that person took and finding her way back was going to be a doosy. Especially considering it was nearly dark now. Back and forth, alleyway after alleyway, it seemed like forever until the idea came: just find a main road.

Going straight made a lot more sense than going the winding path that she had before and, after all the narrow paths and walls and garbage cans, it was nice to have a breath of fresh air and a large street lit by rows of streetlights. Getting to an intersection, Kiki finally found a road that she was familiar with, and after a ten minute walk, found her way back to her apartment.

She would have gone inside if she hadn't noticed, though, right next to a garbage bin, in the alleyway where she'd begun following the inkling, was a plain looking, green kelp wallet.

Inkling clothes are notoriously bad about designing effective pockets and things fell out rather easily; which was unfortunate in a lot of cases. But maybe this was fortune? Then again, maybe getting mixed up with these folks was a bad idea in general and she could just as easily have left it for someone else to find. Just walk into the apartment and be done with it.

...then again, losing a wallet really sucked and not having someone return it to the lost and found was always a source of fear.

What do you do, Kiki?

@5magmacubes

Go To: Plaza

The jog back to the plaza was at least good exercise. The lead was simply too good to be true and couldn't be passed up for much else. News, fame, grandeur and praise were all waiting for the one who found the Squid Sisters. Besides, they were iconic. Even after this long, it was weird not to see them around.

So, it was with that reasoning, that Dehnn found himself in the middle of the scramble crossing. It was unlikely that anyone else here had more purpose in mind than he did right now. Though, glancing around, there weren't many to contest that claim. There was one inkling that was getting on a bike, ready to leave, and another that just hopped on a train--odd ink color. Otherwise, it was just Ika, in the dark.

Walking to the meetup point, there was a figure; hard to make out in the dim light of dusk. But, he was wearing a white beanie and 'kerchief, so that helped.

"So," he began, his voice a quiet basso, "you interested?"

@Banshee

The train ran all night in Inkopolis, which is something that many people are grateful for. Even at this late hour, there are plenty of people going to and fro. People of all ages, discussing turf war tactics or getting from one job to the other. Some were graveyard shifts, some were just getting home. A story for each person, a claim to existence in each step.

Not to mention the train was free. Public transit for all!

In any case, as Alga found a seat well away from people so they wouldn't judge her ink color, she couldn't help but finger the piece of paper the elderly man had given her. A chance to be a hero? What could that even mean?

Her thoughts were rudely interrupted by a young inkling. "Please! Wait! Stop!" He huffed as he ran for the closing door. Some adult inkling smiled and sighed as he pushed the button to open the sliding door again. Some people groaned as the boy ran in, sweating and huffing and puffing.

After he caught his breath, he looked around and then, after some obviously careful (nervous) deliberation, he say down across from Alga. It was quiet for a little while, just the sound of the buzzing electric engine and the whir of motion, and Alga almost forgot that someone had chosen to sit near her.

Until he said, "u-uh, hey. I, um, I was uh, listening to you, er, p-play near the lobby earlier?" Wait, was he walking to Alga?

@xCoCo

There was a wonderful spot in her house to read that Lili Maon had plushed up with some pillows. The fact that it was a large window really did mean it needed some plushing up; can't read properly without a little comfort, after all!

And night is the best time to read. After a long day of inking and shouting and splatting, there was nothing better than a hot cup of cocoa and a good book. Except maybe a good book and a story idea to flesh out! It was a great way to unwind.

Or, well, it would have been if the power didn't go out. No power, no hot cocoa... but maybe some reading by candlelight. Better to look on the bright side. Still, like any person somewhat curious about the situation--and to maybe get her power back on--she tried her circuit box. No go. No storm either, so no reason for powerlines to go down...

Sitting up in her reading spot, Lili thought about the situation, finding her eyes wandering outside... to see a cut powerline. This was a rather quiet neighborhood... that someone would cut the powerlines was... unlikely to say the least. Looking down there appeared to be someone right below the line, injured maybe? Three other figures were gathered around the inkling, but didn't seem to have any clue what to do. He or she might need help!

What do you do, Lili?

((For Lili and Dehnn in particular, if you feel I've mischaracterized your character and want me to edit their actions or feelings, feel free to shoot me a PM. Or find me to complain. It can't be too hard. Location: my room. You can do it. I believe))

Reminders:

Posts are Due: Monday, 27th of July at 11:59 am
Will be Responded to in GM Post:

Will be Responded to Immediately:
Conceal [use this action on something you intend to hide on your person]

Last edited:

Banshee

Full Squid
NNID
Laddy-Daddy
Alga's head had been rested lightly against the back of the seat, and her eyes were closed as she let the sound of the train filter everything else out. Her mind wandered as it often did, and had it not been for the steady hand keeping her guitar case from slamming onto the floor she would have seemed as though she were asleep.

At the voice however, her eyes shot open. Quickly looking at the Inkling sitting across from her, the girl took a breath to steady the rapid increase of her heartbeat and checked the other over with some mild trace of curiosity. Who was this now...?

Examine: Inkling Boy

ReedRGale

Inkling Commander
@Banshee

Examine: Inkling Boy

Who was this now...? Looking him up and down, he didn't seem rather impressive. He wore some retro glasses and a maroon hoodie with some red sneaks to top it off. To top off his behavior, he didn't seem to be looking straight at Alga, just glancing at her now and again, maybe hoping she'd heard him?

He seemed a little skittish... no, was he... embarrassed?

Banshee

Full Squid
NNID
Laddy-Daddy
His appearance set her at ease, if only just a bit, and quietly did Alga exhale. Like her. He was much like her in personality and action, and that was something that never really failed to bring her some amount of comfort. Because, after all, those who were ostracized from society knew to take care of their fellow outcasts. Right?

Perhaps...

As her heart slowed its frantic rhythm, Alga relaxed some against her seat and spoke quietly over the loud thrum of the train's engine.

"That...was me, yeah. How come...?"

Talk To: Inkling Boy

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom