• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Moray towers - what the heck?

Flair

Inkling
NNID
Pizzi318
Does this happen to other people? When Moray towers is on rotation it is selected far more often than the other map. It's bloody annoying!

Либра

「Pavor Nocturnus」
I've had similar experiences with lots of rotations across the board. There's a stage I like and one I hate in the rotation? It'll be fine, right? No, let's give me my hated map ten times in a row. Had this comically often in league, arguably ranked, but with turf I either don't play these particular combinations or don't take count but yes, sometimes even if you stay in the same lobby, it can feel very lopsided. More often than not it's just our imagination since we tend to focus on the negative a lot more than the normal. Map you're fine with? Keep going. Moray? Auughhh!

Or maybe that's just me. Whenever I look up my battle log in the app, it turns out to be rather balanced most of the time. Now I don't blame you for thinking Moray has some kind of evil aura and came straight from hell to take over rotations on its own but since I had that issue with Reef, Port and other maps this myth seems debunked for now. :D

So in other words yes, sometimes you can end up with like 70% one map, 30% the other. While unlikely, it's still possible to happen. Sometimes you do flip heads or tails super often compared to the other. Also, duck Moray.

Spaceswitchmars

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
_funmars
Switch Friend Code
SW-0556-1305-6031
That's just probability at play. Probability isn't the same as inevitability. Even if both maps have even chances to be picked, that doesn't mean they'll be picked at the same rate.

Really, Nintendo should write in a fail safe where the same map can't be picked in the same lobby three times in a row. If you play one map twice, you automatically play on the other map in the third game. Something like that could be nice.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
That's just probability at play. Probability isn't the same as inevitability. Even if both maps have even chances to be picked, that doesn't mean they'll be picked at the same rate.

Really, Nintendo should write in a fail safe where the same map can't be picked in the same lobby three times in a row. If you play one map twice, you automatically play on the other map in the third game. Something like that could be nice.
I would love for this to be real, but sadly, it can't work. People rotate in and out of lobbies so often that people either won't be around for the failsafe or lobby hop too much for it to ever happen. And League, lacking persistent lobbies entirely, wouldn't benefit. Again, I love your idea and wish it could be real, but we'll have to live with getting the same stage 5 times in a row. It's partially perception, as looking at match stats like Libra said reveals it usually evens out in the end, but it sure doesn't seem that way when stages repeat, does it?

Spaceswitchmars

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
_funmars
Switch Friend Code
SW-0556-1305-6031
I would love for this to be real, but sadly, it can't work. People rotate in and out of lobbies so often that people either won't be around for the failsafe or lobby hop too much for it to ever happen. And League, lacking persistent lobbies entirely, wouldn't benefit. Again, I love your idea and wish it could be real, but we'll have to live with getting the same stage 5 times in a row. It's partially perception, as looking at match stats like Libra said reveals it usually evens out in the end, but it sure doesn't seem that way when stages repeat, does it?
Yup. That's just probability at play. Over time, a coin flip evens out to close to 50/50, but it doesn't feel that way when you flip heads five times in a row.

They could implement a fail safe in turf wars, but you're absolutely right about ranked/league. The player base isn't big enough to say, "Okay, Space just played Moray twice in a row so we'll only put him in a lobby where Kelp is being played next." And there aren't persistent lobbies in ranked S2 like there were in S1... So yeah, excellent points all around.

herrherr

Inkling
NNID
mrtapioca
I thought this was just me! I actually like Moray, but I started noticing it seemed to get selected far more often than its counterpart when I play.

Flair

Inkling
NNID
Pizzi318
In my last 50 matches, Moray towers was in rotation for 19 of those matches

Maray towers selected 14 times
The other map selected 5 times

Moray towers blows. I'd rather play Saltspray rig and that map sucked.

Либра

「Pavor Nocturnus」
In my last 50 matches, Moray towers was in rotation for 19 of those matches

Maray towers selected 14 times
The other map selected 5 times

Moray towers blows. I'd rather play Saltspray rig and that map sucked.
That's really unfortunate. Seems you're about as lucky as I am with my recent Saltfest luck this weekend. If this keeps being the norm for you I'd strongly advise you to either change the mode or take a break when Moray is in the rotation so you can avoid it. There's no need to force yourself to deal with a map you're not enjoying to play in, it's rather unhealthy for your overall game-experience. Unless you have a strong reason to keep playing even with Moray in the rotation, e.g. if you're planning on going competitive. Otherwise I really don't see why you should put yourself through this for no good reason, lol.
I really liked Saltspray tho. :<

Sifu

Look Behind You
Switch Friend Code
SW-3816-1808-3393
What!? I've stayed in a lobby for 3 games in a row. Heck, I've been in a lobby with the same people for much longer than that! That said, I don't think that's really the best solution.

A different solution could be to keep track of how many times every player has seen each level, and pick whichever one has been played least on average (Or at least lean in that direction)

Nathan99

Inkster Jr.
Switch Friend Code
SW-6971-8372-8798

I agree. Or at least, the system could be weighted random.

Ember-Wisp

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
IceCrystalEmber
Switch Friend Code
SW-6109-1903-3315
Does this happen to other people? When Moray towers is on rotation it is selected far more often than the other map. It's bloody annoying!
I've noticed this too, but with different maps. The new (old) map they just released keeps popping up a lot for me. and I keep getting my butt kicked on it... so it's getting old to say the least.

MindWanderer

Inkling Commander
NNID
MindWanderer
Switch Friend Code
SW-5961-6763-3987
They could easily do: once the lobby is full, look at the last 3 games from each player, then weight the randomness accordingly. Say out of the last collective 24 games 17 of them were Map A and 7 were Map B, they could weight the RNG so that Map A would have a 7/24 chance of being selected and Map B a 17/24 chance.

ThatOneGuy

Inkling Commander
NNID
BattadaBeast
Looking back at some of my previous league sessions with some people from here, I've been getting Splat Zones with either HumpBack, Moray, or even a combination of the two.

It has been done multiple times, it's happened about 5 times (in a row) now. I have also tried to vary the times I get online so maybe I can get a different rotation, but no. I still get Zones on those maps. The funniest part is that I hate zones. It's the worst out of all 3 ranked modes for me, and I tend to under perform there the most. So maybe the game looks out for me and tries to remedy this through strenuous practice.

But yeah, I can see where you're coming from. I see moray pretty much every time I play the game, but I haven't seen black belly since the week it got put back in the game.

Sifu

Look Behind You
Switch Friend Code
SW-3816-1808-3393
Looking back at some of my previous league sessions with some people from here, I've been getting Splat Zones with either HumpBack, Moray, or even a combination of the two.

It has been done multiple times, it's happened about 5 times (in a row) now. I have also tried to vary the times I get online so maybe I can get a different rotation, but no. I still get Zones on those maps. The funniest part is that I hate zones. It's the worst out of all 3 ranked modes for me, and I tend to under perform there the most. So maybe the game looks out for me and tries to remedy this through strenuous practice.

But yeah, I can see where you're coming from. I see moray pretty much every time I play the game, but I haven't seen black belly since the week it got put back in the game.
Funny. TC is my worst mode, and I play it exclusively right now. But that’s on purpose, since I want to get good at it.

Flair

Inkling
NNID
Pizzi318
So my Switch went in for repairs. It took 3 weeks minus a day to be returned back to me. I totally forgot how slanted the odds are in picking Moray. So far I'm 6 for 6 for picking this garbage map. I'm not pushing my luck to see if I get a 7th Moray in a row.

Ron'NeilV3

Full Squid
NNID
Ronneil_koopa
Switch Friend Code
SW-3809-0916-6288
YES! Omg! I thought I was the only one lol.

Like I would go there 10 times in a row, then when I finally go to the other stage, it’ll only be for that one time. Nd it doesn’t help that I absolutely HATE Moray Towers. So usual when I see it on rotation I don’t even bother playing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom