• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Splatoon 2 Most Viable Dual-Es

Metasepia

Inkling Cadet
Hell-o
The (somewhat?)current meta has been very Dualie prominent and we've seen Drills, Glue guns, Oral-B's cross promotion, and Nike shoes? Unconventional weapon designs aside, list what you believe to be are the strongest, and weakest Dualies in the current meta and your choice of abilities for each. Here is my list of 3 best and worst:

1. Enperries, need I explain more? Choice of gear is standard meta (Comeback, QRS, Stlthjmp) sometimes ninja squid, Special power or Charge.

2. Toni Kensies, rising exponentially in popularity as a Slosher Deco replacement, can also roll out of Baller explosion, standard meta gear.

3. Dapplies (both variants) my baes, V Dapplies are popular on large maps like Moray, Piranha, and Shellendorf while Nouveau is popular on maps with many choke points like pre buffed Star fish mainstage. Choice of gear is standard meta (with sub power on Vanilla and Swim speed on Nouveau).

9. Dark Tetras, a weapon with shoddy accuracy and a meh kit, was still used a little by high level players before the release of it's light counterpart and the discovery of shooting splashdown out of the sky. I have not used this weapon enough to even know what I'd need for it.

10. Dualie squelchers, Point Sensors AND Missiles, I'll pass thank you very much. Although I don't use them in favor of their superior alts, I'd still run the exact same sets; Special charge, Sub saver, and Run speed.

11. IT'S THE GLOOGAS PEOPLE, LET US TEAR AT EACH OTHER'S THROATS FOR CLAIMING WHICH WEAPON IS THE WORST!!! But hyperbole aside, Ink mine-why on a front line weapon? And the awful ttk outside of the roll and painting and ink consumption makes this weapon a sad little stain on the archives of Dualies. The gear I do use takes advantage of the only redeeming quality of the Gloogas, the Ink jet, Special power, Special charge, and Run speed are my main choices.

The Salamander King

NNID
sintiss0421
Switch Friend Code
SW-3785-4018-5310
Rated from best to worst:
Emperry
Kensa
Dapples
Custom Dual
Dapples Neaveau
Glooga Deco
Light Tetra
Dark Tetra
Dualies
Duals

saint_kthulhu

Full Squid
The Gloogas and Tetras are not bad weapons. They simply have a higher learning curve.

You can pick up the Dapples, Splat Dualies or Dualie Squelchers and get relatively consistent kills while playing them like a standard shooter. Or in other words, without ever rolling prior to shooting. For example, whether you roll-shoot or not, you're still going to shred through anything within the dapple dualies range.

But with Gloogas and Tetras, you really need to make use of the shoot-after-roll feature every time you engage in combat. If you don't, you're gonna have a bad time.

When you roll-shoot with the Gloogas you're getting both a range buff and a damage buff. Without the roll these dualies are doing 36 damage per shot, but after the roll it's 52.5 aka a 2HKO. After the roll they basically turn into a .52 gal with 65/100 range. And IMO that's OP in the right hands.

Both Gloogas have excellent kits. The Inkjet and Baller are powerful specials that fit the weapon's playing style. The splashwall works great with the Gloogas range. And while the inkmine is little odd on this weapon it did just receive a damage buff a few weeks back. The only real downside that I see with Gloogas is that they do not lay down a lot of ink and they're slow firing with a relatively slow roll. And that slow fire rate means the user really needs to be accurate to make these work.

When you roll-shoot with the Tetras, their accuracy goes from horrific to deadly (similar to N-Zap). They have 58/100 range, giving them a slight range advantage over most other aggro style weapons. Toss in their four rolls and their ability to continue firing shots mid-roll and the Tetras are incredibly deadly weapons when making use of the roll-shooting.

The biggest complaint that I have on the Tetras is their kits. Splashdown has been considered low tier for months (it did just receive a buff in yesterday's patch, but I haven't had an opportunity to test that out and formulate an opinion yet). I am also not a fan of the autobomb launcher. And while the subs are okay, they're not going to make up for the weak specials.

Both the Gloogas and Tetras have the potential to be played aggressively and they both have more range than you normally get out of an aggro-capable weapon. They just rely more heavily on their dualie rolls to be effective.

Metasepia

Inkling Cadet
The Gloogas and Tetras are not bad weapons. They simply have a higher learning curve.

You can pick up the Dapples, Splat Dualies or Dualie Squelchers and get relatively consistent kills while playing them like a standard shooter. Or in other words, without ever rolling prior to shooting. For example, whether you roll-shoot or not, you're still going to shred through anything within the dapple dualies range.

But with Gloogas and Tetras, you really need to make use of the shoot-after-roll feature every time you engage in combat. If you don't, you're gonna have a bad time.

When you roll-shoot with the Gloogas you're getting both a range buff and a damage buff. Without the roll these dualies are doing 36 damage per shot, but after the roll it's 52.5 aka a 2HKO. After the roll they basically turn into a .52 gal with 65/100 range. And IMO that's OP in the right hands.

Both Gloogas have excellent kits. The Inkjet and Baller are powerful specials that fit the weapon's playing style. The splashwall works great with the Gloogas range. And while the inkmine is little odd on this weapon it did just receive a damage buff a few weeks back. The only real downside that I see with Gloogas is that they do not lay down a lot of ink and they're slow firing with a relatively slow roll. And that slow fire rate means the user really needs to be accurate to make these work.

When you roll-shoot with the Tetras, their accuracy goes from horrific to deadly (similar to N-Zap). They have 58/100 range, giving them a slight range advantage over most other aggro style weapons. Toss in their four rolls and their ability to continue firing shots mid-roll and the Tetras are incredibly deadly weapons when making use of the roll-shooting.

The biggest complaint that I have on the Tetras is their kits. Splashdown has been considered low tier for months (it did just receive a buff in yesterday's patch, but I haven't had an opportunity to test that out and formulate an opinion yet). I am also not a fan of the autobomb launcher. And while the subs are okay, they're not going to make up for the weak specials.

Both the Gloogas and Tetras have the potential to be played aggressively and they both have more range than you normally get out of an aggro-capable weapon. They just rely more heavily on their dualie rolls to be effective.
As someone who's used the Gloogas I stand by my testament that they still require buffs main weapon wise if they are actually going to bring something to the meta platter.

They have awful ink efficiency, a single shot taking 1.6 percent of the ink tank, and a roll costing 8. They also paint h o r r i b l y and have basically no sub to alleviate this.

And having to roll constantly to reliably kill with this thing makes it less viable cause there are instances where you don't want to dodge roll. it takes 30 frames just to execute one dodge roll till you can fire, and another 30 to get out of turret mode and within that whole second, you are practically a sitting duck for most midliners and backliners as they will outrange you.

The specials are good for the weapon but they don't make up for the main weapon's performance.

So what you get is a weapon that can't paint, has awful ink efficiency, and can't even kill reliably.

The Tetras are in a better position meta wise but they suffer from the existant of the regular dualies and their superior kits.

Dark Tetras also have one of the worst specials in the meta, and considering that specials are one of the fundamental keys in making pushes and securing wins. A special that can't be used to make big plays is definitely going to hurt a weapon's viability.

In short, Gloogas suffer from a bad main weapon and Tetras suffer from weapons with superior kits.

The Salamander King

NNID
sintiss0421
Switch Friend Code
SW-3785-4018-5310
After some time, I have reconsidered:

Dark Tetra
KDualies
Enperry
Custom Dualie Squelcher
Clear Dapples
KGlooga