• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Motion Controls vs. Stick Controls?

Volpey

Inkling
NNID
Volpey
hey guys. i started playing Splatoon 2 right when it launched and i love it so far.
i never played a lot of Splatoon 1 when it came out 2 years ago, but i have been enjoying the past few days so far.

so now to my actualy question.
i have been playing with friends mostly, and they all have been using motion controls. also when i watch people who play competitively, they all use motion controls. and whenever i say i use stick controls, everyone is saying i should switch to motion controls.

but why? i have only been playing turf war so far, maybe it's different for ranked and league, but when i play, i mostly get 1st or 2nd on my team, with mostly around 7 - 10 kills and a big gap when it comes to points.

i tried motion controls earlier for a little bit. first i tested it on the practice ground to find the best sensitivity for me, and then i played a little bit online. i sucked. i almost got no kills, and it just feels like i don't know what i'm doing. when i see an enemy, i panic and my accuracy sucks overall.

i know most of you will say "just get used to it, it takes some time". but overall i just don't like it. i am not a big fan of turning my controller left and right to aim. i know you can still use the stick, but that would kinda kill the purpose.

so what do you guys say? do i HAVE to use motion controls? i would like to get goot at Splatoon 2, maybe play competitively at some point. are there any competitive players that use stick controls?

thanks in advance.

the

Inkling Commander
While most people do recommend giving motion controls a chance, if you tried them and they're not for you then you don't have to use them! I think a lot of people find them easier, especially when trying to aim in midair. But they aren't for everyone, and you don't have to use motion controls if you don't want to.
Also, I'm not super into competitive play, but I have heard that there are players who do well competitively without motion controls!

Belial

Full Squid
If you manage to get good with motion control they give you much more aiming accuracy and 180 turns very quickly. Splatoon doesn't have auto aim assist for analog controls. I used mixed analog and motion but primarily motion. Why use only one when you can use both?

OogieBoogie

Pro Squid
NNID
MrOogieBoogie
I tried hard to get into motion controls. Maybe it is because I have been gaming since 88' and am just far too used to sticks and buttons. I truly can't stand motion controls. It is clumsy, awkward, and disorienting. Once you find you sweet spot sensitivity wise with the sticks, I argue you are just as good as anyone with motion controls. Stick usage hasn't stopped me from doing well in turf wars and maxing possible rank in salmon run with randoms.

Rioni

Inkling
NNID
eternaldannymoon
People highly recommended giving motion controls a try but if you see that you're not doing well with them no matter how hard you tried, then it's fine to stay with sticks! I personally play with motions and I can't imagine playing it without it. But I totally get that not everyone is like this. It's all the matter of preference, really.

There are competitive players who uses sticks and they work out fine.

Volpey

Inkling
NNID
Volpey
thanks, these are really the answers i was looking for.

i can definitely see how motion controls can be helpful, especially with quick aiming in the air.
but i have been playing videogames for a long time now, and it just doesn't feel right.

but seeing that there are competitive players who use stick gives me hope.

thanks!

Leedika42

Senior Squid
NNID
Leedika.TheGov
Stick vs motion is a sticky topic (heh puns)

Tbh, motion control is superior in the sense that you can aim much more precisely and follow people with your shots more easily

However, analog control can still work just as well. Yes, it will be much harder as splatoon has no aim assist, meaning you have to perfectly aim every shot, but you can get good enough at it to make it work

As for competitive... it's a tough road. Personally I'd only suggest weapons with less shots to kill and are longer range. So really just blasters and chargers, chargers being the most ideal as they are a 1 shot kill, point and shoot.

Don't get me wrong. Analog can be used competitively, it's just insanely difficult.
I have a member on my competitive team (Daze) who is an analog charger main, and she is very proficient at it.

GearWax

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
KoopaTroopaBloop
hey guys. i started playing Splatoon 2 right when it launched and i love it so far.
i never played a lot of Splatoon 1 when it came out 2 years ago, but i have been enjoying the past few days so far.

so now to my actualy question.
i have been playing with friends mostly, and they all have been using motion controls. also when i watch people who play competitively, they all use motion controls. and whenever i say i use stick controls, everyone is saying i should switch to motion controls.

but why? i have only been playing turf war so far, maybe it's different for ranked and league, but when i play, i mostly get 1st or 2nd on my team, with mostly around 7 - 10 kills and a big gap when it comes to points.

i tried motion controls earlier for a little bit. first i tested it on the practice ground to find the best sensitivity for me, and then i played a little bit online. i sucked. i almost got no kills, and it just feels like i don't know what i'm doing. when i see an enemy, i panic and my accuracy sucks overall.

i know most of you will say "just get used to it, it takes some time". but overall i just don't like it. i am not a big fan of turning my controller left and right to aim. i know you can still use the stick, but that would kinda kill the purpose.

so what do you guys say? do i HAVE to use motion controls? i would like to get goot at Splatoon 2, maybe play competitively at some point. are there any competitive players that use stick controls?

thanks in advance.
I would recommend using both in conjunction. That's how I play. Use stick controls for big movements (checking behind you) and use motion controls for small movements (direct combat). Turn down motion sensitivity to help with this.

Leedika42

Senior Squid
NNID
Leedika.TheGov
I would recommend using both in conjunction. That's how I play. Use stick controls for big movements (checking behind you) and use motion controls for small movements (direct combat). Turn down motion sensitivity to help with this.
That's how most motion control players in competitive play. It's impossible to just keep swiveling in your chair lol

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
Seems there's been a bit of "controversy" this with this matter due to (ThatSRB2)Dude most recent video about motion vs stick controls. And he guest starred in a NintendoLife video a few days afterwards.

Anyway~ today he posted a new video showing his hands to give everyone an idea of how he, and most others, use motion controls. At least with the pro controller.

Leedika42

Senior Squid
NNID
Leedika.TheGov
Seems there's been a bit of "controversy" this with this matter due to (ThatSRB2)Dude most recent video about motion vs stick controls. And he guest starred in a NintendoLife video a few days afterwards.

Anyway~ today he posted a new video showing his hands to give everyone an idea of how he, and most others, use motion controls. At least with the pro controller.
Pretty much every top player will say never use analog. I'd say typically you shouldn't, but there are rare cases when a good competitive player can make it work (hence my earlier post)

The reason they will say this is because motion controls are far easier to get better results with, and without aim assist, are pretty much mandatory for any weapon other than chargers and maybe blasters. You just can't track people well enough with analog to land than he shots to kill with a gun

Krak Rex

Inkster Jr.
If you've been a fan of console esports as long as I, you have heard of a term called "clawing." We did this before scuf controllers were a thing. It's using your index to hit the face buttons. If you are practiced enough it's not uncomfortable as it seems at first. Mix this and high sensitivity you can do anything a motion control player can do.

I'm surprised how well the motion controls work. Personally I never use them because I play while in my bed, which is a little bit limiting for motion controls.

Padre

Pro Squid
Motion controls do take time to learn if you are not familiar. I learned by playing hero mode first. Learning to sidestep and still keeping your aim at target was the hardest to get better at. I do use right stick to turn all the time and it feels intended.

Rambeard

Inkling
NNID
Rambeard
Motion controls give you more control over aim while sticks can offer you a static aim. I use motion controls because I like the control I have over my aiming and I am most accurate with it toggled on. You can play with both really. All you need to do is lower the motion control sens and you can have both.

Volpey

Inkling
NNID
Volpey
okay. i read through the comments and started to play around with it again like 2hrs ago.
my biggest problem always was, that in close combat i always over/undershoot the enemy, and it was really starting to bug me.
i can see the advantages, so now i guess it's just a matter of practice until i feel 100% comfortable with it.
thanks for the help.

MakenTosch

Inkster Jr.
It does take a while to get use to. I started to ditch the analog in favor of motion controls because of how comparable it is to Mouse and Keyboard on the PC. I come from PC-based shooters like Counter-Strike, Overwatch, Unreal Tournament, etc., and every time I play Splatoon 2 with the motion controllers I feel the same level of fluidity and accuracy as I would normally find on the PC games. It's amazing how far the motion controls have come along since their debut on the Wii with the Wii motion controllers followed by the Wii Motion Plus, then the WiiU Gamepad and finally the Switch Joycons and Switch Pro Controllers. The Pro Controller as of today is probably now the holy grail of game controllers in a competitive setting.

Many PC players opt for the Mouse and Keyboard because of the limitations with analog-based controllers and PC players often feel handicapped by using them. But with the Pro Controller for the Switch, this changes everything. In the video linked by Ansible, you can see how the motion controls move like that of the Mouse with the snap turns.

But as others have pointed out, if you don't feel comfortable using motion controls, don't use it. You don't have to. I would rather have a teammate who is comfortable with whatever setup they use and are good at it than to have a teammate who is not comfortable with it and is under performing.

Village Squidiot

Senior Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-5320-0179-1531
Hey Volpey. i am also a stick control player and honestly i think it is all down to preference. i have been able to do all the things that motion control players do (including a fast 180 turn by simply using the camera reset button) and ive made it to S+ in all ranks so id say get good at what youre good at ^-^ also i doubt everyone would be as good with motion controls if it didnt have that aim assist *cough cough* ;)

ProphetEyes

Inkster Jr.
NNID
ProphetEyes
ok, well then i will bring my 2 cents in here. I'm sorry but a stick player is at a HUGE disadvantage to a motion player. It all come down to the fluidity of the controls, and the ability to aim while jumping and shooting, as well as snapping to targets. but i noticed that the OP has moved on to motion. he seems to just need to find the right sens. so i'll just leave it at that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom