• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Splatoon 2 Motion

TheScourge

Inkling
Switch Friend Code
SW-3420-2780-5047
I finally decided to devote more time to splatter 2 and get better at competitive and all my friends are s+ and so I've been ranking up but I was playing sticks and my friends kept pressuring to go motion so now that I've been playing motion it feels so uncomfortable to me and my splats are way down to when I played sticks. So basically Im asking if I should continue trying to get good at motion or switch back to what I'm used to. Any tips help..

Spaceswitchmars

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
_funmars
Switch Friend Code
SW-0556-1305-6031
Everyone’s going to say motion and they’re all going to be right. You can maybe get away with no motion with buckets/brush/Jr... but motion will still be better and those are just the weapons that you can most get away with sticks.

Fact is that you’re putting yourself at a disadvantage if you play sticks. It’s just like playing sticks against keyboard/mouse players on PC. The skill might be harder to learn, but the upside is huge. Not even close.

Edit: Just saw you asked for tips. Try doing single player with motion. That’s a good way to learn. Also try both pro controller and split joycons to see which registers for you. Most of all, it’s going to take time and playing with the sensitity settings to see what works. Remember to aim with motion and only use sticks to adjust the camera.

MotorGamer

Inkling Cadet
NNID
MotorGamer
I finally decided to devote more time to splatter 2 and get better at competitive and all my friends are s+ and so I've been ranking up but I was playing sticks and my friends kept pressuring to go motion so now that I've been playing motion it feels so uncomfortable to me and my splats are way down to when I played sticks. So basically Im asking if I should continue trying to get good at motion or switch back to what I'm used to. Any tips help..
Honestly it’s pure preference, I used to play sticks but switched when I started playing S2, as soon as I did that and started getting better my rank kind of shot up, motion is just a lot more fluid. But there are competitive players who use sticks, although not a lot

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
Well, it's gonna be unconformable and difficult for a while because it's something you're not accustomed to.

That's natural. Whether you want to continue working on it, that's ultimately up to you.

Did you start using motion controls cold turkey or slowly transitioning yourself? Keep in mind you're probably going to have to fiddle with the sensitivity settings for quite a bit to find some comfort settings. And along with making use of the test range, also do use the single players but maybe take a more methodical approach instead of just bumrushing through them. For example, pick a single stage, like an Octoling stage, and take your time working through it. They're not very bright so you can practice keeping your motion control aim on them while standing in one place or trying to strafe them.

And if you need a visual aid on using the controller, here's a good, helpful video from Dude:

MotorGamer

Inkling Cadet
NNID
MotorGamer
Well, it's gonna be unconformable and difficult for a while because it's something you're not accustomed to.

That's natural. Whether you want to continue working on it, that's ultimately up to you.

Did you start using motion controls cold turkey or slowly transitioning yourself? Keep in mind you're probably going to have to fiddle with the sensitivity settings for quite a bit to find some comfort settings. And along with making use of the test range, also do use the single players but maybe take a more methodical approach instead of just bumrushing through them. For example, pick a single stage, like an Octoling stage, and take your time working through it. They're not very bright so you can practice keeping your motion control aim on them while standing in one place or trying to strafe them.

And if you need a visual aid on using the controller, here's a good, helpful video from Dude:
Also start it off at a low sensitivity...then play a few games...get good with it, and then raise it half a point. Keep repeating this process until you feel comfortable with it

vanille987

Inkling Cadet
NNID
777SAS777
Just remember you schouldn’t be using motion 24/7.
The stick is still there for quikly turning/looking around so you don’t end up in uncomfortable positions.

Flammie

Inkling Cadet
NNID
FlammieLL
Depending on the situations, each might be better than the other.
You do need to use both, instead of just waving the motion controller completely around, you might hurt people in real life or your surrounding, and YES, i do have this from personal experience, don't ask what i broke.

MotorGamer

Inkling Cadet
NNID
MotorGamer
Just remember you schouldn’t be using motion 24/7.
The stick is still there for quikly turning/looking around so you don’t end up in uncomfortable positions.
Also most people don’t use a charger with only motion. Snapping is terribly inaccurate with motion, so they use sticks to snap.

vanille987

Inkling Cadet
NNID
777SAS777
Also most people don’t use a charger with only motion. Snapping is terribly inaccurate with motion, so they use sticks to snap.
First time i heard this, though it was the other way around using high sensetivity?
Or use the R-stick to quikly turn and then quikly use motion to perfect your aim?
Alas, i’m not a charger main but from my little expierence with them and looking at other players, this is what i got.

Mar$el

Inkling Commander
First time i heard this, though it was the other way around using high sensetivity?
Or use the R-stick to quikly turn and then quikly use motion to perfect your aim?
Alas, i’m not a charger main but from my little expierence with them and looking at other players, this is what i got.
Yeah it's always motion to snap. You can't snap up down or diagonal with just sticks. It's sticks to turn when not in combat, then motion for everything else. You have to practice snapping up, down, left, right and diagonal. Also if you were to use sticks to snap you'd have to bump it to 5 to be kinda fast, but motion is faster and more versatile. My motion settings for all weapons including chargers is 0 motion and 2 sticks.

And I'm sorry but this little snap is just too clean for me not to share. You can't do this with sticks.

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
Yeah, when going charger I primarily use motion but fail at putting much effort into the using the right stick. Mostly because I try to keep my targets focused near the center of the screen or refrain from having to sweep my laser across long distances.

The Salamander King

NNID
sintiss0421
Switch Friend Code
SW-3785-4018-5310
My best advice is to never use the sticks or motion exclusively. When turning, snap the stick and the controller in the same direction at the same time. This allows you to turn more than 2x as quickly.

Dark Sage Walker

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-8295-5505-1414
Everything I was going to say has already been said here as it turns out. So I guess it's story time! Grab a drink and a sandwich if you like and get comfortable!

I, like you, started out using sticks. It was alright and I was having plenty of fun with just that. But I was also noticing that my skills with the game were stagnating. I was doing what could pass for okay, but I wanted to be better. I wanted to see more of what the game's skill ceiling had to offer for a player who wanted to get more out of it! So I started looking around to see what tips the higher ranked pros and semi-pros had to offer about the game and its quirky systems and found that two things kept coming up above all else: Advanced movement options and using motion controls.

Well I had been practicing with the more advanced movement options myself. Splatter Hopping, Splatter Dashing, Dolphin Diving...the works, really. Interestingly, I was practicing Dolphin Diving before I knew that the technique had a name! But one thing kept coming up that made me question the validity of these techniques, and that was how long it took to reposition my aim to perform them effectively. Going from aiming down to straight again with sticks was no big deal. Just press Y to reposition the camera behind you. Worked just fine for that, but for going from normal aim to aiming down was slow and a bit clunky. Often it would spell more trouble than just dealing with the fire fight and waiting to see what happened. And the less said about trying to effectively hit an opponent while Dolphin Diving with sticks, the better. I was putting myself into a rut and didn't know how to get out of it. That was when I found the second piece of advice.

Motion controls. Motion controls? Isn't that the thing that everyone was getting tired of by now? Most people weren't fans of waggling Wiimotes for gaming controls. Playstation Move had some interesting things going for it but fell into the same problems that the Wiimotes did. Kinect? What a joke! You'd have an easier time controlling a game using an Etch-a-Sketch! But this was the topic of discussion for most of the highly skilled players. They all said the same things. Using Motion Controls allows you to turn faster. Using Motion Controls allows you to aim more accurately. Using Motion Controls makes the game feel smoother and opens up more options in your game play. I thought that no one liked Motion Controls. Not in my circle anyway. We were all devoted sticks players. Have been since the days of Timesplitters and Goldeneye. But here I was hearing the opposite! So what was an aspiring squid to do with this information? Simple. Give it a try!

Well, I have to admit, going from sticks to motion damn near crippled my abilities! It didn't feel right at all! Something as simple as turning turned out to be more complicated than it was worth. My number of splats was going down. The number of times I was being splatted was going up. I was covering less turf because I was more focused on the simple act of moving. I got worse! 'That's it, back to sticks!' I said to myself. And that's exactly what I did. This whole motion control thing wasn't everything it was cracked up to be. I also heard that there are pros that use sticks, even with high precision weapons like Chargers. 'I'll just be like them,' I thought. Couldn't be that hard, right? Nevertheless, I kept seeing and experiencing things that I thought were impossible. Mostly, it was people aiming at me while jumping and running. Yes, I could do that, but only if it was set up ahead of time essentially. I couldn't do it on the fly like I was seeing from the people I was playing against. I thought they were cheating! But then it dawned on me that what I was seeing was a product of what I had recently shunned. Those freakin' motion controls. It was like Witchcraft to me. Some kind of eldritch sorcery that made everything different and strange. Now I was face to face with the entity that I had already walked away from previously. So now what? I had no choice but to acknowledge the elephant in the room and give it another try.

This second round at attempts went about as well as one would expect. Things got worse for a bit as I played around with settings to try to make things work. It seemed like nothing was working and that I had hit a ceiling. But then, something happened. Something that I never expected. A swimming dash into a jump with a quick alteration in aim, and BOOM! One splatted enemy squid! It all made sense at that point. It clicked. I saw what I was doing and then I understood. It does allow for faster turning. It does allow for better accuracy. It does make the game feel smoother and opens up more options. It does all of this by actually simplifying the act of turning and looking about. The ratio of movement to action in the game was better than I had given it credit for and I was seeing a now very noticeable improvement to my game. I hadn't hit a ceiling, but rather was climbing from a plateau. There is a lot of room for growth when you make the change! It won't be an easy change, I'll be the first to admit that. But once you get it and you reach that state of Splatoon Nirvana, you will be glad you did!

My advice for making the admittedly difficult switch? Practice. Use the firing range to understand your range of movement with the motion controls. Adjust your sensitivity settings and find what feels right for you (I am currently working with motion at 0 and right stick at 1). Make sure you aren't crippling yourself with a weapon that requires harsh amounts of precision at first and work your way up to other weapons form there. Once you feel comfortable, jump into some matches and then go from there! I feel as though I could have made my transition more comfortable by using the firing range some more. I did my practice exclusively in Turf Wars. Might have been a bit of a mistake, but it worked out in the long run. Just keep at it and you will notice the improvement! Use the tools at your disposal and put in the effort. It's worth it, trust me!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom