• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Movement Mechanics

Mithical1

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Mithrandir37
I don't see a lot of people talking about one of the main things that makes this game look so unique and fun: the movement mechanics!

You spray surfaces in inkling form and then jump and swim fast through them in squid form. You can go up walls to jump on top of platforms but are you not able to cross corner edges in your ink without jumping out? Can you easily traverse horizontally on a wall with your ink on it? Can you hop between opposing walls in squid form? Can you hide in a wall, pop out to shoot, and then enter the wall again without touching the ground? Can you jump from a wall, around a corner, and dive back into the next wall without touching the ground? Does diving into ink from a greater height allow you to jump out higher than normal?

If you know something for sure, post a video link. Otherwise, I'd like to know what you think about these possible mechanics and if there is some other cool mechanic that might already be in the game.

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
I think the movement is really great. Hopefully there is good controls for cameras, though. I see gameplay of people missing a lot while fighting. I'm hoping that's just their bad aim but Idunno.

Mithical1

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Mithrandir37
I think the aiming controls are probably good, it just looks like it might be a moderate learning curve. Every review that I've seen liked the gamepad controls a lot so I'm not worried about that. I just hope I can do cool moves like some of the ones I listed in the OP.

Flying_Tortoise

Sushi Chef
I don't see a lot of people talking about one of the main things that makes this game look so unique and fun: the movement mechanics!

You spray surfaces in inkling form and then jump and swim fast through them in squid form. You can go up walls to jump on top of platforms but are you not able to cross corner edges in your ink without jumping out? Can you easily traverse horizontally on a wall with your ink on it? Can you hop between opposing walls in squid form? Can you hide in a wall, pop out to shoot, and then enter the wall again without touching the ground? Can you jump from a wall, around a corner, and dive back into the next wall without touching the ground? Does diving into ink from a greater height allow you to jump out higher than normal?

If you know something for sure, post a video link. Otherwise, I'd like to know what you think about these possible mechanics and if there is some other cool mechanic that might already be in the game.
The thing is there are so many videos and itd be hard to pinpoint some stuff.
On the single player campaign you'll notice that people will need to jump off platforms and they able to land on a wall and swim up, regarding the ink is there of course.
I have actually pondered hiding in the wall, since it makes so much sense. No one would look to the wall, especially if you are standing still (or perhaps gravity is bringing you down, so you would have to move, and thereby you will easily be recognizable). But back to main point, it seems to take a good amount of time to turn around, take out your opponent, and get in the wall. Most likely you'll touch the wall first.
Idk, mb someone else has seen stuff for your other questions.
Wall jump tho? ;)

Mithical1

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Mithrandir37
Ooh yeah, can you jump up into a wall and then instantly jump out higher than if you had jumped from the ground? You could call THAT a wall jump even though you are changing forms. I would call squid hopping between walls wall transferring or something. Different mechanic, different use.

Flying_Tortoise

Sushi Chef
here's a movement AT found a while ago, called splatterhopping. you just swim in ink, go back to human form after hopping out of it, splat some ink in mid-air, go into squid form... and repeat
I'm not even joking.. my jaw literally dropped.
This is amazing, very smart for the start of the match you are trying to take get to the front to take up teritory. Thanks for the post man

FunkyLobster

Inkling Commander
NNID
FunkyLobster
I'm not even joking.. my jaw literally dropped.
This is amazing, very smart for the start of the match you are trying to take get to the front to take up teritory. Thanks for the post man
well, it's certainly not going to be the last movement AT we ever see

once splatoon launches, i'm sure we'll see some people finding more and more creative stuff you can do with ink, squid form, etc. splatterhopping is probably going to be this game's wavedash, since it's a really easy to execute movement AT that's still very effective

Mithical1

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Mithrandir37

here's a movement AT found a while ago, called splatterhopping. you just swim in ink, go back to human form after hopping out of it, splat some ink in mid-air, go into squid form... and repeat
Yeah, I meant to include this in my OP but I'm glad you provided this with the gif. Splatterhopping is probably the most obvious implementation of the way this game works but it looks challenging enough that it requires practice to be good at. It also looks like it may be hard to turn while doing it.

FunkyLobster

Inkling Commander
NNID
FunkyLobster
Yeah, I meant to include this in my OP but I'm glad you provided this with the gif. Splatterhopping is probably the most obvious implementation of the way this game works but it looks challenging enough that it requires practice to be good at. It also looks like it may be hard to turn while doing it.
it definitely has its limitations. you can't do it up walls, for one, and how easy it is to do it around corners depends on how easy it is to turn around while you're in the air. you can also just tap on a teammate on the gamepad and move right to them, as well, so as long as someone's alive it's not going to be hard to get from point A to point B

that said, it's definitely going to be something i put into practice! it's absolutely going to be useful, considering it's faster than regular walking speed and you don't have to stand still, spray ink, and THEN go into squid form and swim

Mithical1

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Mithrandir37
Also, I'm not sure how splatterhopping compares speedwise to traditional traversing but I bet it is much better from a defensive/ink-avoidance point of view.

Flying_Tortoise

Sushi Chef
still definately worth it. You'll only need this for the beginning of the match. Or perhaps if you are trying to infiltrate the enemy territory and get behind them I suppose. And Besides those situations you'll be able to regular swim mid-match b/c your team laid down the ink for you

Mithical1

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Mithrandir37
still definately worth it. You'll only need this for the beginning of the match. Or perhaps if you are trying to infiltrate the enemy territory and get behind them I suppose. And Besides those situations you'll be able to regular swim mid-match b/c your team laid down the ink for you
It could also be effective midmatch when you are about to swim into a break in your teams ink.

FunkyLobster

Inkling Commander
NNID
FunkyLobster
Also, I'm not sure how splatterhopping compares speedwise to traditional traversing but I bet it is much better from a defensive/ink-avoidance point of view.
it's basically as fast as swimming, except you don't have to spray ink for a few seconds at a time... probably going to be the fastest basic movement AT, which is why i compared it to wavedashing. easy (if you practice) AND effective!

Flying_Tortoise

Sushi Chef
It could also be effective midmatch when you are about to swim into a break in your teams ink.
Oooo strategy time. Idk about that. Only if there is no one around and you are trying to go a decent distance and get ink from the inside out.
If you were to try this when people are nearby, you are going to be stuck with your puddle and move 4x slower.
So yes it could be effective but you gotta be smart about it

FunkyLobster

Inkling Commander
NNID
FunkyLobster
it's definitely going to be versatile.. you can use it at the start of a match when you don't have teammates to jump to on the front line, you can use it in enemy territory where they have ink everywhere, you can use it on flanks where there's no ink, among other things. it's gonna be the go to movement technique, i think

Mithical1

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Mithrandir37
I wonder if running into someone going slower than you speeds them up and/or slows you down. It would be cool if you could push someone on your team as they are shooting while you are in the air as a squid. Probably wouldn't be able to do it continually but you could use it to get them out of trouble or give them a quick burst of multidirectional mobility like the thruster packs in Halo 5. Crazy thought, I know.

kaptinkillem

Inkling

God damn that looks amazing, how difficult was the input for it? Did you have a lot of control over direction or could you mostly go in a straight line?

FunkyLobster

Inkling Commander
NNID
FunkyLobster
God damn that looks amazing, how difficult was the input for it? Did you have a lot of control over direction or could you mostly go in a straight line?
well i wasn't the person in the gif, so i couldn't tell you how difficult it was

the inputs for it were to spray ink, squid form, jump, unsquid, and repeat... so, ZR, hold ZL, X, release ZL, repeat

how easy it is to turn depends on how aerial momentum affects your inkling, i would imagine it's somewhat difficult to turn while splatterhopping, but you can still turn corners wide

kaptinkillem

Inkling
well i wasn't the person in the gif, so i couldn't tell you how difficult it was

the inputs for it were to spray ink, squid form, jump, unsquid, and repeat... so, ZR, hold ZL, X, release ZL, repeat

how easy it is to turn depends on how aerial momentum affects your inkling, i would imagine it's somewhat difficult to turn while splatterhopping, but you can still turn corners wide
I'm wonder what hitboxes are like when you are in squid form, because its possible that this might make your inkiling harder to hit than just straight up squid form

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom