• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Movement Mechanics

FunkyLobster

Inkling Commander
NNID
FunkyLobster
Isn't jr the one with the highly erratic shot pattern though? God help you if you miss.

Are the others even fast enough?
the jr is accurate enough to lay down a puddle a few feet beneath you

.52 gal might not be fast enough to splatterjhop with, though

Platypudding

Full Squid
We believe it'll be good for the beginning of the match when there is no paint on the ground already, or trying to infiltrate enemy paint when no one is their and take territory from the inside out.

Idk about mid battle, perhaps if you are surrounded in the other teams ink that may be your best way to runaway, but the ink seems rly large... I'm sorry soldier but in that situation...you may not get out of there alive o_o
This is a good point! This is likely a really good option for navigating the enemy teams ink in dire situations. I would argue that the early game would be more focused on teams getting a basic foothold in territory, so quick navigation might not be too important. I could see some aggressive early game strategies working out with it perhaps, but due to the nature of the game, I'm willing to bet that getting ink deep into enemy territory early on isn't actually that useful unless your whole team is there to protect it. Otherwise it's likely to get covered back up pretty quickly.

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
Is there any way to swim in squid form on a ceiling upside down?

Flying_Tortoise

Sushi Chef
Is there any way to swim in squid form on a ceiling upside down?
until there is a map that has a ceiling we don't know.
But I remember at E3, some higher up walls you can't ink, so you won't be able to swim up. My guess, if there were a map with a ceiling you couldn't get ink there anyways.
Although I wouldn't mind being a squid with spiderman powers

Reactions: Lyn

Madame Coleen

Inkster Jr.
The movement options of Splatoon ironically reminds me of something like Gears of War when it first came out.
I had a blast somersaulting around trying to out maneuver them to get in range to blast them with a shotgun.

I could imagine a lot of close range Splatoon combat could end up a lot similar. Trying to squid around each other, predicting each other's moves, trying to get in your shots to eliminate your opponent.

Nin☆Jun

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Dantel

In Walleye Warehouse, there are grated metal platforms just above the ground floor. If you go squid mode right on it, you'll just sink through and hide away if your team's ink's below. It's great for some surprise attacks toward unsuspecting players!

Lyn

Premium
In Walleye Warehouse, there are grated metal platforms just above the ground floor. If you go squid mode, you'll just sink through and hide away if your team's ink is below. It's great for some surprise attacks toward unsuspecting players!
Wow, that is really cool. I can see it being in competitive play often. :)

Flying_Tortoise

Sushi Chef

In Walleye Warehouse, there are grated metal platforms just above the ground floor. If you go squid mode right on it, you'll just sink through and hide away if your team's ink's below. It's great for some surprise attacks toward unsuspecting players!
I actually noticed that in some video really quick, glad to see a gif of it. That arrow tho in the gif...I don't remember that being there. Anyways hopefully you don't need that arrow to go thru. If not, then im loving all the interesting ways of getting around

Reactions: Lyn

Nin☆Jun

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Dantel
I actually noticed that in some video really quick, glad to see a gif of it. That arrow tho in the gif...I don't remember that being there. Anyways hopefully you don't need that arrow to go thru. If not, then im loving all the interesting ways of getting around
Nah, you don't need it. It's a indicator saying a friendly Inkling is trying to Ink Jump on that exact location I believe.

Lyn

Premium
Nah, you don't need it. It's a indicator saying a friendly Inkling is trying to Ink Jump on that exact location I believe.
Oh, that makes sense. I'm glad they are trying to implement some forms of teamwork even if you can't communicate directly.

Flying_Tortoise

Sushi Chef
As far as other movement mechanics I think we won't be able to find out anymore until we actually get our hands on it. Unless someone else has found something in a vid.
kk thx. That's a really cool addition

mininut4

Inkling Cadet
NNID
mininut4
so, I notice that the splat charger covers a long line in front of you when you charge it, but I haven't seen what happens when you just fire off quickly with it. iss the line of ink it leaves long enough to be good for travel in straight lines? if so, it might be ok to just quick fire a shot, swim through that and fire another to travel. im trying to think of good ways to get to a good vantage point quickly.

DigDeep

Senior Squid
The movement options are what is going to make this game unique and very fun. It's not even out yet and people are discovering advanced techniques! That's great for the depth and longetivity of the community. I could see people discovering new techs for years.

Splatterhoping looks useful. It's definitely going to be good at the beginning to move into enemy territory but if multiple team members decided to move in that way at the start do you think it will be worth the less ground your initially covering? 2 or so members could stay behind and paint turf at home, but if you get splatted on the way that's gonna be some fair lost time to make up.

I think Splatterhop will probably shine the most late game actually. When your enemy has a lot of turf painted you will still be able to move quickly while not being as vulnerable thanks to quickly splatterhopping through their ink.

Mr.HawK

The Artist
you can use splatter hopping in an offensive way as well, ive mentioned this a lot but it goes like this when you get close enough to an opponent you can either do this from above of below them but if you press the fire button and the squid transform button simultaneously (shoot first then transform and repeat) then you can stamp the ground and splat the person next to you. Do it fast enough and you can kill them early, You can also cover more surface with ink by doing this. its somewhat of a spam option too :P

Mr.HawK

The Artist

One of the guys at pax said that as a squid you can pass through any metal fence like area

jp4464

Jazzy Inkling
NNID
jp4464
As has been mentioned in this thread, the movement options and mechanics are really what makes this game so interesting to me.

I'm excited to see how teams coordinate their attacks while taking advantage of all the movement and techniques that will be utilized in high-level play (squid teching, splatter hopping, etc)

Mr.HawK

The Artist
As has been mentioned in this thread, the movement options and mechanics are really what makes this game so interesting to me.

I'm excited to see how teams coordinate their attacks while taking advantage of all the movement and techniques that will be utilized in high-level play (squid teching, splatter hopping, etc)
Same here im actually interested to see what kind of buffs/debuffs or status changers we might get with each piece of gear, if the do change certain statuses, and how you could tech with those

littlehero6

Inkling
I'm not sure how it would work with the map but it would be cool if we could use the GameCube controllers with the adapters as controllers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom