• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Movement Mechanics

Citanul

Senior Squid
NNID
outforprophets
The movement options are what is going to make this game unique and very fun. It's not even out yet and people are discovering advanced techniques! That's great for the depth and longetivity of the community. I could see people discovering new techs for years.

Splatterhoping looks useful. It's definitely going to be good at the beginning to move into enemy territory but if multiple team members decided to move in that way at the start do you think it will be worth the less ground your initially covering? 2 or so members could stay behind and paint turf at home, but if you get splatted on the way that's gonna be some fair lost time to make up.

I think Splatterhop will probably shine the most late game actually. When your enemy has a lot of turf painted you will still be able to move quickly while not being as vulnerable thanks to quickly splatterhopping through their ink.
My gut tells me you're right about 2 or so members staying behind, but it would really depend on the map (and the game mode). If there's an ambush point you could reach before a team that's not splatterhopping, you could potentially set up a quad kill right there if they stuck too close together. In Turf War, doing that with 1 or 2 people might be worth it if there are 2 others in the back covering up terrain. In Ranked, it might be worth it for a team to rush the point since the floor outside the capture zone is less of a priority to cover. Or maybe even for one sniper to rush a high point to get the best view of the enemy team.

I do agree with the people saying that it will be the most useful at the start of a match though, but you guys have convinced me that it could be useful in quickly getting through enemy territory too. The trade-off we're making is Speed VS Coverage. Pretty interesting space to theorycraft!

Mr.HawK

The Artist
My gut tells me you're right about 2 or so members staying behind, but it would really depend on the map (and the game mode). If there's an ambush point you could reach before a team that's not splatterhopping, you could potentially set up a quad kill right there if they stuck too close together. In Turf War, doing that with 1 or 2 people might be worth it if there are 2 others in the back covering up terrain. In Ranked, it might be worth it for a team to rush the point since the floor outside the capture zone is less of a priority to cover. Or maybe even for one sniper to rush a high point to get the best view of the enemy team.

I do agree with the people saying that it will be the most useful at the start of a match though, but you guys have convinced me that it could be useful in quickly getting through enemy territory too. The trade-off we're making is Speed VS Coverage. Pretty interesting space to theorycraft!
some maps are quite large so spacing out is definitely key. if fact using the rollers in large arenas is a great option dues to how much turf you cover in a small amount of time.

Mr.HawK

The Artist

Seems like you can extend it a bit depending on the angle you shoot so you're not limited to jumping through single puddles

EDIT: although, turning while splatterhopping doesn't look like it's worth it
yeah, unless you have great physical movement and can turn your camera and shoot at the right moment then turning will be an issue

Astral

Astral Finish!
NNID
AstralFinish
I hope the camera functions the way it should, derpy camera physics are a no no

Actilide

Inkling Cadet
Do you guys think that we will be able to use GC controllers with splatoon?

Xon Suprimes

Senior Squid
Do you guys think that we will be able to use GC controllers with splatoon?
I don't think so. You can't click on the control stick on the GC controller iirc. I dunno, maybe they'll figure something out. The only controllers confirmed so far were the Wii U Gamepad and Pro.

Xon Suprimes

Senior Squid
Is there a possibility that you could be able to use a weapon or something after a splatterhop?
Like, splatterhop in to weapon? I remember wavedashing being kind of useless something is applied after, unless you're doing some kind of mindgames or travelling, even though just dashing is mindgames enough.
Will splatterhop merely be a faster way of travelling? It could be as game-changing as wavedashing, but the thing that makes the wavedash shine (pun intended) is the amazing power it has to go in to combos, juke your opponent, that sort of thing.

Draayder

Inkling Cadet
Splatterhopping reminds me quite a bit of rocket jumping/sticky jumping in TF2, and I think it'll be used in much the same way especially in splat zones. Getting to the area first and getting that first capture is vital, and being able to get there that fast with no ink down will be amazing. I wouldn't be surprised to see the whole team rush the zone with splatterhopping.

I do think it'll still have uses even past the start of the match, especially on bigger maps when there isn't ink down and you need to go fast. We'll have to see how well it works as a defensive option, seems like a decent option against the sniper weapons but I feel like decent aim with the splattershot or just the Blaster in general will stop it cold since you do seem to be locked in squid form at least briefly. This is a great thing to see imo, I love neat movement techs like this.

mininut4

Inkling Cadet
NNID
mininut4
im not really sure, I haven't seen any footage of an uncharged shot, and I don't know if the rate of fire would allow it to work.

Bottlecapn

Inkling Commander
NNID
Bottlecapn
Is there a possibility that you could be able to use a weapon or something after a splatterhop?
Like, splatterhop in to weapon? I remember wavedashing being kind of useless something is applied after, unless you're doing some kind of mindgames or travelling, even though just dashing is mindgames enough.
Will splatterhop merely be a faster way of travelling? It could be as game-changing as wavedashing, but the thing that makes the wavedash shine (pun intended) is the amazing power it has to go in to combos, juke your opponent, that sort of thing.
Yes, I'm pretty sure that's possible. I mean think about it. If you can splatterhop in the first place, which requires you to shoot immediately after jumping out of the ink, then you can fire on opponents immediately after hopping out.

Undr

Splatterhopping is going to become a crucial bit of tech. Everything from advanced team tactics to simply getting from Point A to Point B without the need of the Game Pad.

Personally I think this actually benefits the idea of having a dedicated sniper on your team as well. If two of your teammates can make themselves difficult to hit, it will likely cause the opposing team to slow down and aim more. Easy pickings for a sniper. Not to mention a sniper can place a predetermined ink path to allow for a sharper turn for the player who's Splatterhopping.

Last edited:

Citanul

Senior Squid
NNID
outforprophets
im not really sure, I haven't seen any footage of an uncharged shot, and I don't know if the rate of fire would allow it to work.
I know this isn't helpful but I've seen footage of it rapid uncharged shooting but I can't find that video now. I remember it being surprisingly quick but the coverage is pitiful. It definitely seemed quick enough to splatterhop though. I'm re-watching a bunch of videos trying to find that information/footage so I'll post if I find it. Or if someone else knows which video it is, please post it!

EDIT: ok I found the video. It's this one at about the 8:00 mark. You can see him firing off a few shots uncharged.

That's a cool video in general to watch because they play a bunch of matches on different maps with different weapons.

Happy splatterhopping with the sniper!

EnderGamma

Senior Squid
NNID
EnderGamma
This was actually in my top 5 reasons to be hyped for Splatoon. I think the movement is unique and will no doubt inspire some neat tricks to maneuver around opposition and the play space. The diving into ink is kind of a loose cover base system that can be disrupted by enemy ink. I cannot wait to see how it evolves.

mininut4

Inkling Cadet
NNID
mininut4
I know this isn't helpful but I've seen footage of it rapid uncharged shooting but I can't find that video now. I remember it being surprisingly quick but the coverage is pitiful. It definitely seemed quick enough to splatterhop though. I'm re-watching a bunch of videos trying to find that information/footage so I'll post if I find it. Or if someone else knows which video it is, please post it!

EDIT: ok I found the video. It's this one at about the 8:00 mark. You can see him firing off a few shots uncharged.

That's a cool video in general to watch because they play a bunch of matches on different maps with different weapons.

Happy splatterhopping with the sniper!
awesome, thanks

Citanul

Senior Squid
NNID
outforprophets
This was actually in my top 5 reasons to be hyped for Splatoon. I think the movement is unique and will no doubt inspire some neat tricks to maneuver around opposition and the play space. The diving into ink is kind of a loose cover base system that can be disrupted by enemy ink. I cannot wait to see how it evolves.
Same here!

One of the first things I want to try on release is hiding in a painted WALL to ambush people. I think it's a pretty sneaky thing to do to hide in the floor but I wonder how a wall might be different since people are so focused on covering the floor. I think it would be particularly strong if you put a splotch on a wall that is behind a player's view when they come out of a choke point. This isn't a perfect example but something like the walls at the foot of the ramp leading down from the spawn point in the mall level shown on NicoNico recently:

If you include the walls in your potential hiding spots, you'd have more options for ambush and have a greater chance at successfully holding up the enemy at this spawn point. Here, the enemy just spawned and (some) would be running down the ramp, so they wouldn't necessarily be looking behind them on the walls.

The only thing I wonder is how the camera works if you are hiding on a wall and trying to swing it around to watch the ambush area. If it doesn't work at all then visibility is basically zero since the camera would just be the wall, which would kill this strategy almost completely. Squid jumping to allies also hurts this strategy, in the spawn camping case and in a general use case in Turf Wars. Though I think hiding in walls will be better in Splat Zones, where the action is more focused on specific areas of the map.

Last edited:

Pivi

Inkling Cadet
NNID
HeroPivi
Man I can't believe I missed this thread all this time, loving these splatterhopping suggestions.

I feel iffy on walls, I think there's a chance the devs wouldn't want you wall clinging and made it so if you tried to hang out in a wall, you'd end up just sliding to the ground. Thanks gravity, or whatever.
Granted we need to actually play the game and mess around with wall stuff, since that'll introduce a new "assasin" kind of play, imagine hopping out of the wall with a roller in hand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom