• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

Movement Mechanics

Kaysick

Inkling
Unsure if this was found already or not, however if the enemy team happens to stumble upon your ink.... their location will be marked right on your GamePad's screen!
I actually really like this feature. Its almost like "Fog of War" in a way but I think it fits really well in this kind of game. Can call out an opponent's area if you catch it on your map.

FunkyLobster

Inkling Commander
NNID
FunkyLobster
btw, i would just like to point out we have no idea how hard it is to turn while splatterhopping

in the gif i posted on the first page, the player wasn't trying to turn at all, and we have no idea how momentum in the air works and how that affects your inkling from turning around. no footage we have of the game has a player who actually tried to figure that out, and unless splatoon goes to another venue before its release date at the end of the month, we're just theorycrafting until we get our hands on it

if its easy to turn around in the air, splatterhopping is going to be a essential movement technique because of how easy it is to perform and how strong its results are, but you'll have to designate your loadout around it since you can only do it with a weapon that can spray ink before you hit the ground (so you can't really do this with a roller or rifle.) comparable to rocketjumping in quake

if its hard to turn around in the air, you can really only do this on straightaways, so it's going to be a lot more niche. its still going to be a common technique we'll see a lot since it's an effective way to travel from point a to point b, but it will be map reliant, and wont be the first tech that comes to mind when we think of competitive splatoon

FunkyLobster

Inkling Commander
NNID
FunkyLobster
actually it seems you might be able to do it with the splat charger.
oh can you? that's good to know, but my point still stands that splatterhopping is something to keep in mind when making your loadout

Trieste Sp

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
I can't wait for people to find some crazy AT that increases the number of movement options in this game.

mininut4

Inkling Cadet
NNID
mininut4
we all need to band together and find all the movement techs we can during the testfire events

FunkyLobster

Inkling Commander
NNID
FunkyLobster
I can't wait for people to find some crazy AT that increases the number of movement options in this game.
there's going to be quite a few i bet, i'd be surprised if the squid form didn't have some jank to it

splatterhopping is one AT but it's not really janky or very technical, it's just taking advantage of the fact you can switch forms mid air to spray ink underneath you

Undr

I initially thought that movements techs would be the defining factor in the skill gaps between players. After watching that direct I feel the lack of friendly fire will open the doors to a slowly method of advancing on territories. There are quite a few strategies I'd like to try out in teams involving alternating splatter with the new roller that was shown off.

That's not to say movement mechanics won't still be at the forefront of abusable techniques. The key is how the game handles momentum and if there are anyways to buffer or convert it when changing forms. Considering that we'll only have an hour at a time to experiment at a time, I'm not sure we can really get much done apart from rudimentary tests of the games physics.

Trieste Sp

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
I initially thought that movements techs would be the defining factor in the skill gaps between players. After watching that direct I feel the lack of friendly fire will open the doors to a slowly method of advancing on territories. There are quite a few strategies I'd like to try out in teams involving alternating splatter with the new roller that was shown off.

That's not to say movement mechanics won't still be at the forefront of abusable techniques. The key is how the game handles momentum and if there are anyways to buffer or convert it when changing forms. Considering that we'll only have an hour at a time to experiment at a time, I'm not sure we can really get much done apart from rudimentary tests of the games physics.
Ah, very true.

Bottlecapn

Inkling Commander
NNID
Bottlecapn
we all need to band together and find all the movement techs we can during the testfire events
I'm on it, all I'll be doing during the test is finding some crazy techs, trying to mostly test the mid air momentum of the Inkling form. And owning some noobs in Turf War. But mostly the tech thing.

FunkyLobster

Inkling Commander
NNID
FunkyLobster

we probably won't have enough time to forcefully find any movement techniques or anything else in the alloted time limit of the global testfire

there will probably be techniques outside of movement, such as ones for weapons. tf2 actually has quite a few for example, like passive reloading (arguably a mechanic and not a technique, but its just an example.) but in splatoon i think that movement techniques will probably be the most crucial to learn, because of the importance of map control. the opposing team can't spray ink across the map as long as you can shut them down. i think competitive play will be about optimizing your movement the best as possible and coordinating with your team to deny areas and move up tactically, since the time to kill is so short and maps are so small.

whether or not we find any new techniques in the testfire, it's still going to be an opportunity for us to test out the things we've been wanting to. let's take advantage of that

Mondrae205

Senior Squid
Someone should make a thread for techniques so we have an easy place to find them so we can update and practice them when the testfire is live. Preferably with gifs and on how to do them.

FunkyLobster

Inkling Commander
NNID
FunkyLobster
splatterhopping is REALLY easy

i can do it around corners and up and down slopes with ease

it will definitely be a huge movement AT in this game

Pivi

Inkling Cadet
NNID
HeroPivi
Did anyone try hanging out in walls?

FunkyLobster

Inkling Commander
NNID
FunkyLobster
Did anyone try hanging out in walls?
you slowly slide down walls, you wont move if you hold up at a slight angle but it still makes the puddle shape beneath you

if you want to ambush you will have to just hide in the ground, which is still an effective tactic

Pivi

Inkling Cadet
NNID
HeroPivi
Ah, I didn't have much hope for that tactic, but it's still nice to know.

Anyway, I really love how you can auto jump to anyone from anywhere on the map. If you're in a really bad situation, you can just bounce outta there, but what's really cool is that the enemy team can see your would be landing spot and punish accordingly, so the person being jumped to should be willing to protect their incoming ally.
Just another layer to this already tactical game!

FunkyLobster

Inkling Commander
NNID
FunkyLobster
to go into detail about splatterhopping:

its very easy to do but the net gain is speed isnt that much unless you optimize your jumps and distance to and from puddles, which is actually pretty difficult. it will take some practice. the height of your hop is important. however it's very easy to do up and down slopes and around corners (at least with the gyro) so it will absolutely be a useful movement technique

i only tried it once with the charger but i think it makes too small a puddle to splatterhop with, and the splat roller flicks too slow to do it for sure

so you can only do this with shooter type weapons, like the splattershot and the jr, but it is a very effective technique worth doing and even more reason to use those weapons

its basically this games rocketjump

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom