• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Mr. Grizz is not what he seems...

Spraylan

Inkling Cadet
NNID
JonasOrtega
The following is my incredibly dumb personal theory about Mr. Grizz. Do not steal. Or do, who cares?

Mr. Grizz is a Salmonid. I know, I know. It seems absurd but it's the truth. He's some Chum, or Smallfry even, who got tired of being on the low end of the totem pole and sold his people out in the name of good old capitalism. He's taken on the avatar of a Salmonid death god and now he's selling their resources to the inklings.

This is why his shop is a sketchy mystery. This is why he only communicates via a bear-shaped radio. This is why he knows so much about the various types of Salmonids.

But as long as he keeps paying me, I don't give a squid.

Last edited:

ForteReborn

Inkling Commander
NNID
ForteReborn
Switch Friend Code
SW-5389-7346-0792
A salmonid with the capability of speaking inkling, too. They seem to have a culture for themselves, but not quite the fixture as Octos, or inklings themselves. If Grizz happen to be one of the rare instances where his intelligence fairs from above average of regular salmonids, then he is certainly taking advantage of the spawn that only happens every several years, almost a decade at least.

(I also theorized he is DJ, or some Octo that is farming for them since they appear in octo valley like crazy. The voice also seems to be a bit gnarly like them.)

And yes, I like discussing this stuff, so kill me.

Netro Vince

Pro Squid
NNID
vchutt
We already know other sea creatures in the splatoon universe can speak to inklings. So why is it rare for salmonids to speak to inklings too?

ForteReborn

Inkling Commander
NNID
ForteReborn
Switch Friend Code
SW-5389-7346-0792
We already know other sea creatures in the splatoon universe can speak to inklings. So why is it rare for salmonids to speak to inklings too?
The jellyfish, Jelfonzo had to study inkling from scrolls. That is why he speaks rather old English syntax. So think that the salmonids aren't the type to engage in it. Especially since they only appear every 70 years.

Spraylan

Inkling Cadet
NNID
JonasOrtega
The jellyfish, Jelfonzo had to study inkling from scrolls. That is why he speaks rather old English syntax. So think that the salmonids aren't the type to engage in it. Especially since they only appear every 70 years.
Maybe, but we know that the Salmonids got their technology from the Octolings. I am not sure Octolings and Inklings even have separate languages.

Slurmp

Pro Squid
NNID
HedgehogOverlord
Salmonids got technology from octolings? Playable salmonid confirmed!

/s

But imagine playable jellfish

Superkootz

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Supermario182
Grizz, Grizzly, Grizzly Bear. Bears love salmon but have to catch it by hand. Why not trick some inklings into doing the dirty work

Agent Z

Inkling Commander
The following is my incredibly dumb personal theory about Mr. Grizz. Do not steal. Or do, who cares?

Mr. Grizz is a Salmonid. I know, I know. It seems absurd but it's the truth. He's some Chum, or Smallfry even, who got tired of being on the low end of the totem pole and sold his people out in the name of good old capitalism. He's taken on the avatar of a Salmonid death god and now he's selling their resources to the inklings.

This is why his shop is a sketchy mystery. This is why he only communicates via a bear-shaped radio. This is why he knows so much about the various types of Salmonids.

This is a very interesting theory, but I find it hard to believe that a massive company like Grizzco Industries would get to where it is today if its CEO had the sales pitch of "help me commit genocide against my own species and I'll pay you."

Also, one of the Sunken Scrolls depicted a page from something like the Inkling Bible that sort of showed Salminoids somewhat apocalyptic monsters. SOMEBODY has to have seen Mr. Grizz in person, maybe when he was starting his company. I don't think they'd be asking to buy stocks, more like running away screaming.

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
Is there any reason or implication for this theory, or is it just a random idea?

Spraylan

Inkling Cadet
NNID
JonasOrtega
This is a very interesting theory, but I find it hard to believe that a massive company like Grizzco Industries would get to where it is today if its CEO had the sales pitch of "help me commit genocide against my own species and I'll pay you."
I'm pretty sure his sales pitch was probably "I can solve your energy crisis if you don't ask how the sausage gets made."

Also, one of the Sunken Scrolls depicted a page from something like the Inkling Bible that sort of showed Salminoids somewhat apocalyptic monsters. SOMEBODY has to have seen Mr. Grizz in person, maybe when he was starting his company. I don't think they'd be asking to buy stocks, more like running away screaming.
Hence the layers of subterfuge. All any of us know Mr. Grizz as voice coming out of a bear shaped radio. And I truly don't think Inklings would give a care so long as they benefit from GrizzCo.

swimmingknife

Semi-Pro Squid
I actually really like this theory. One thing it brings to mind is a note in the Manual about different types of Salmonids. The description of the Snatchers (the blue-haired ones that steal eggs) says that they're untrained, unarmed Salmonids who are sent into active war-zones to "prove themselves" before they can join the ranks proper. It's really not too hard to see why some of the more intelligent Salmonids might want out of a species that treats its own as a disposable resource.

On that note, Goldies are stated to have higher intelligence than ordinary Salmonids; maybe Grizz is a Goldie? That would explain his ability to learn Inkling language.

cm250

Inkling Commander
NNID
holleyfam2003
Switch Friend Code
SW-4590-2580-6429
That is a very good answer because Goldies are very rare so it wouldn't surprise me if a Goldie went rouge to destroy the regular salmonid

animegatherium

Inkling
NNID
stormoftheeast
Switch Friend Code
SW-7390-8542-4135
Maybe, but we know that the Salmonids got their technology from the Octolings. I am not sure Octolings and Inklings even have separate languages.
i remember a part in the story mode where marie mentioned her octarian reading skills weren't too great. so i can't say for sure that they speak different languages, but their alphabets are at least different.

Slurmp

Pro Squid
NNID
HedgehogOverlord
i remember a part in the story mode where marie mentioned her octarian reading skills weren't too great. so i can't say for sure that they speak different languages, but their alphabets are at least different.
Maybe they`re like Japanese and Chinese, where one uses some characters from the other but has different grammar rules and some different characters?

Aeladya

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Aeladya
Switch Friend Code
SW-4028-2792-9217

I theorize that he just eats the Salmonids so he knows more about them, he seems more like a gourmand than anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom