1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Squidboards now has its own Discord server!

Join us on Discord!

3. Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 15,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 150,000 posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Splatoon community!

4. Hi Guest,

As of June 3rd you will no longer be able to log in to Squidboards using your Smashboards account. Please take a look at the announcement for additional details

Mr. Grizz is not what he seems...

Discussion in 'Regular Discussion' started by Spraylan, Jul 27, 2017.

1. Spraylan

Spraylan Inkling Cadet

NNID:
    JonasOrtega
    The following is my incredibly dumb personal theory about Mr. Grizz. Do not steal. Or do, who cares?

Mr. Grizz is a Salmonid. I know, I know. It seems absurd but it's the truth. He's some Chum, or Smallfry even, who got tired of being on the low end of the totem pole and sold his people out in the name of good old capitalism. He's taken on the avatar of a Salmonid death god and now he's selling their resources to the inklings.

This is why his shop is a sketchy mystery. This is why he only communicates via a bear-shaped radio. This is why he knows so much about the various types of Salmonids.

But as long as he keeps paying me, I don't give a squid.

#1 Spraylan, Jul 27, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2017
    Dewnose, Wosie, inkcan and 11 others like this.
  2. ForteReborn

ForteReborn Inkling Commander

NNID:
    ForteReborn
    Switch Friend Code:
    SW-5389-7346-0792
    A salmonid with the capability of speaking inkling, too. They seem to have a culture for themselves, but not quite the fixture as Octos, or inklings themselves. If Grizz happen to be one of the rare instances where his intelligence fairs from above average of regular salmonids, then he is certainly taking advantage of the spawn that only happens every several years, almost a decade at least.

(I also theorized he is DJ, or some Octo that is farming for them since they appear in octo valley like crazy. The voice also seems to be a bit gnarly like them.)

And yes, I like discussing this stuff, so kill me.

Yin_ likes this.
  3. Netro Vince

Netro Vince Pro Squid

NNID:
    vchutt
    We already know other sea creatures in the splatoon universe can speak to inklings. So why is it rare for salmonids to speak to inklings too?

Yin_ likes this.
  4. ForteReborn

ForteReborn Inkling Commander

NNID:
    ForteReborn
    Switch Friend Code:
    SW-5389-7346-0792
    The jellyfish, Jelfonzo had to study inkling from scrolls. That is why he speaks rather old English syntax. So think that the salmonids aren't the type to engage in it. Especially since they only appear every 70 years.

Yin_ and Slurmp like this.
  5. Netro Vince

Netro Vince Pro Squid

NNID:
    vchutt
    oh then your probably right...

6. Spraylan

Spraylan Inkling Cadet

NNID:
    JonasOrtega
    Maybe, but we know that the Salmonids got their technology from the Octolings. I am not sure Octolings and Inklings even have separate languages.

ForteReborn likes this.
  7. Netro Vince

Netro Vince Pro Squid

NNID:
    vchutt
    They wouldn't have been able to communicate durin the war 100 years ago soooooo probably.....

8. Slurmp

Slurmp Pro Squid

NNID:
    HedgehogOverlord
    Salmonids got technology from octolings? Playable salmonid confirmed!

/s

But imagine playable jellfish

9. Superkootz

Superkootz Inkster Jr.

NNID:
    Supermario182
    Grizz, Grizzly, Grizzly Bear. Bears love salmon but have to catch it by hand. Why not trick some inklings into doing the dirty work

Danku likes this.
  10. Spraylan

Spraylan Inkling Cadet

NNID:
    JonasOrtega
    I would love if Salmon Run got an eventual update that gave us Salmlings.

Maave and Danku like this.
  11. Agent Z

Agent Z Inkling Commander

Switch Friend Code:
    SW-2700-4413-3630
    This is a very interesting theory, but I find it hard to believe that a massive company like Grizzco Industries would get to where it is today if its CEO had the sales pitch of "help me commit genocide against my own species and I'll pay you."

Also, one of the Sunken Scrolls depicted a page from something like the Inkling Bible that sort of showed Salminoids somewhat apocalyptic monsters. SOMEBODY has to have seen Mr. Grizz in person, maybe when he was starting his company. I don't think they'd be asking to buy stocks, more like running away screaming.

12. Lyn

Lyn Squid Savior From the Future
    Premium

Is there any reason or implication for this theory, or is it just a random idea?

13. Netro Vince

Netro Vince Pro Squid

NNID:
    vchutt
    aren't most threads just random ideas?

Slurmp likes this.
  14. Spraylan

Spraylan Inkling Cadet

NNID:
    JonasOrtega
    I'm pretty sure his sales pitch was probably "I can solve your energy crisis if you don't ask how the sausage gets made."

Hence the layers of subterfuge. All any of us know Mr. Grizz as voice coming out of a bear shaped radio. And I truly don't think Inklings would give a care so long as they benefit from GrizzCo.

Slurmp likes this.
  15. Spraylan

Spraylan Inkling Cadet

NNID:
    JonasOrtega
    Not really.

16. swimmingknife

swimmingknife Semi-Pro Squid

I actually really like this theory. One thing it brings to mind is a note in the Manual about different types of Salmonids. The description of the Snatchers (the blue-haired ones that steal eggs) says that they're untrained, unarmed Salmonids who are sent into active war-zones to "prove themselves" before they can join the ranks proper. It's really not too hard to see why some of the more intelligent Salmonids might want out of a species that treats its own as a disposable resource.

On that note, Goldies are stated to have higher intelligence than ordinary Salmonids; maybe Grizz is a Goldie? That would explain his ability to learn Inkling language.

Slurmp and Spraylan like this.
  17. cm250

cm250 Inkling Commander

NNID:
    holleyfam2003
    Switch Friend Code:
    SW-4590-2580-6429
    That is a very good answer because Goldies are very rare so it wouldn't surprise me if a Goldie went rouge to destroy the regular salmonid

Spraylan likes this.
  18. animegatherium

animegatherium Inkling

NNID:
    stormoftheeast
    Switch Friend Code:
    SW-7390-8542-4135
    i remember a part in the story mode where marie mentioned her octarian reading skills weren't too great. so i can't say for sure that they speak different languages, but their alphabets are at least different.

Slurmp, Spraylan and Maave like this.
  19. Slurmp

Slurmp Pro Squid

NNID:
    HedgehogOverlord
    Maybe they`re like Japanese and Chinese, where one uses some characters from the other but has different grammar rules and some different characters?

animegatherium, ZEROrevive and Yin_ like this.
  20. Aeladya

Aeladya Inkster Jr.

NNID:
    Aeladya
    Switch Friend Code:
    SW-4028-2792-9217
    I theorize that he just eats the Salmonids so he knows more about them, he seems more like a gourmand than anything.