• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

My idea for online team communication (Without Skype, Teamspeak, etc)

JulienIsTheMan

Inkling
NNID
JulienIsTheMan
Without any introduction, let's get straight to my idea. In all of the recent Splatoon gameplay we've seen, there's been a d-pad in the bottom right corner, with messages assigned to usually one or two of the d-pad's directions. By now, I'm sure you know what I'm going to say. They may be limited to around 15 characters, as seems to be standard with Nintendo messages or statuses of sorts, but what if we could assign messages to be sent with each d-pad direction? Maybe some sort of standard d-pad message layout could be chosen, with messages calling for help, saying to rush, back out, defend, etc. A chosen set of 4 (or maybe more, but then you'd have to choose what you want and not be able to use the others) would be used by people in the general Splatoon community. Assuming these messages will appear on the gamepad by your squid/inkling icon, people would be able to see where you are when you say whatever it is you say. (And even if they couldn't this would still be helpful I think) Anyway, what do you think of d-pad/taunt messages being standardized, or used with universal (throughout the community) lingo?

RespawningJesus

I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar.
Premium
NNID
RespawningJesus
If there are additional D-Pad commands, this would be great for people who won't play with a full team, or with mics. I see nothing wrong with this. In fact, I was hoping more commands would be added. So far, the only two commands I saw were "C/mon!" and "Thanks!" If that is all the commands people will get, then ouch.

However, in competitive play, I can guarantee that everyone would be using mics. So I don't think any standard for these commands would be made.

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
Do you mean like customizable taunt messages in Smash 4? I think this could work, actually. Honestly if this were an option I'd even be okay with presets you could put on them. :)

Bottlecapn

Inkling Commander
NNID
Bottlecapn
Assuming you cant change the pings you could discuss with your team the meaning of each ping, if you know what I mean. Like, the C'mon ping means "Come to me" or "I need backup!"

CoopLan

Squid Streamer
NNID
LanceHS
I think if Nintendo gives us enough options, it could be a viable way for people to communicate. TF2 has lots of commands that really help out if you need to get a specific message across. It will work to a certain extent if they do it correctly, but I think eventually to get max performance of a team is to go with an outside program.

Nico Nico Sleep

Pro Squid
It'd be viable, but the issue is HOW viable?
What makes team based game so good is being to work with absolute harmony with your team. Preset commands of things like "Over here!" or "I need backup" are unspecific and leave much to be desired, like perhaps you'd like backup but would like to warn about the specific weapon they're using and would like to notify someone specific on your team with a weapon that can counter. This can't happen with ONLY 4 preset messages and it can lead to internal discord with the team during and after the fight.

Bottlecapn

Inkling Commander
NNID
Bottlecapn
Why does it seem everyone is tossing aside the fact that there are other options (*cough* SKYPE *cough*) that are available?

It's pretty frustrating. Just use skype, raidcall, teamspeak, whatever. Done. That's it. There's no reason NOT to use them as they are the prime tools available to us, and there's nothing else we should be using. That's all. No discussion to be had m80s.

Nico Nico Sleep

Pro Squid
Why does it seem everyone is tossing aside the fact that there are other options (*cough* SKYPE *cough*) that are available?

It's pretty frustrating. Just use skype, raidcall, teamspeak, whatever. Done. That's it. There's no reason NOT to use them as they are the prime tools available to us, and there's nothing else we should be using. That's all. No discussion to be had m80s.
I think the issue is more or less in the situation that what if I wanted to play ranked with randoms? Am I supposed to send Miiverse messages to each of them asking them for Skype and teamspeak usernames? This work-around is great for when playing with people you know, not randoms.

Bottlecapn

Inkling Commander
NNID
Bottlecapn
I think the issue is more or less in the situation that what if I wanted to play ranked with randoms? Am I supposed to send Miiverse messages to each of them asking them for Skype and teamspeak usernames? This work-around is great for when playing with people you know, not randoms.
Well then, I guess that's just you guys...

I don't believe the Ranked Battle really counts for much anything, to be honest, but that's because I'll be playing with a competitive squad most of the time. (At least, I will be.... in AUGUST. ugh) Plus in Splatoon there's not much to be said because of the way the game's designed. There's a main objective, everyone's aware of it, and everyone knows that it's what you're supposed to be doing. Since going in and marking territory is what you're doing, then your teammates will likely follow you, or do the same. Your actions almost shout out a message in themselves. Outside of the two main objectives of taking out opponents and inking stuff, there's not much else to be done in terms of strategy. You could say "Come here! I need backup!" but what good'll that do you? They'll have to look at the map, find you, and either run, swim, or super jump to your location, and by that time the fight's over and everyone's going back to the main objective of inking.

There really is no need for communication, and that's what I love about Splatoon.

Nico Nico Sleep

Pro Squid
There really is no need for communication, and that's what I love about Splatoon.
I can see where this mentality comes from but it's not necessarily true. Communication is a vital part of any team-based subject whether it be verbal or not. Being able to pick out specific targets to take out and call out specific maneuvers could add a layer of team based gameplay. Unfortunately this layer has been neglected, and while it doesn't ruin the game for me, or bother me for that matter, it can very well ruin what could be a fantastic take on team based shooters.

Bottlecapn

Inkling Commander
NNID
Bottlecapn
I can see where this mentality comes from but it's not necessarily true. Communication is a vital part of any team-based subject whether it be verbal or not. Being able to pick out specific targets to take out and call out specific maneuvers could add a layer of team based gameplay. Unfortunately this layer has been neglected, and while it doesn't ruin the game for me, or bother me for that matter, it can very well ruin what could be a fantastic take on team based shooters.
I see what you mean, but as I said before, your actions are a call out in themselves. I'm sorry, I can't really explain it, but...

If you mean taking out specific targets as in taking out players, then I'd disagree. Note that you can't see enemy players on the map, and if you need teammates to come, they will, because they know what they're doing. It's just, the objective is so straightforward there's nothing left to do honestly. In Splat Zones, what will you say after taking control of the territory? You might say, "Focus the enemy" but that's implied. Obviously that's what you're going to do, and there's no specific target, just the enemy team in general. Any other communication just isn't needed.

I know I kind of just said what I said previously, but please take this into consideration. I feel that players will be smart enough to know what to do, and I know that's terrible logic, but it's Splatoon. It couldn't get any more straightforward than this. If I had more time to elaborate on this post then what I'm saying would make more sense.

kyouzou

Inkling
NNID
kyouzou
I think a shout system similar to Monster Hunter would be good enough for basic communication for ranked battle, but if playing with randoms in ranked I think reading your teams actions creates a whole new meta. But yeah hopefully people have enough common sense to understand basic team strategy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom