• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

My Issues With Splatoon (at launch)

EnderGamma

Senior Squid
NNID
EnderGamma
I finally had the time to put together the second episode of my real talk series about Splatoon called SplatSpeak. Here I address the few issues I have with Splatoon, namely what it will be like when the game launches. Please watch the whole video before commenting. As always feedback is welcome and encouraged. You guys are awesome.

youtu.be/ZpsViSq5XF8

Edit: Direct link to hide thumbnail until I get a chance to change it.

Last edited:

mininut4

Inkling Cadet
NNID
mininut4
very well handled. I like that you directly stated that you would be focusing on the negatives, but didn't present only negatives. you pointed out some positives. you also presented them in a mature and professional way not seeming to be particularly biased despite you stating how excited you are for the game (which is really quite a difficult thing to do.) I think you would make a good videogame reviewer.

redadil4

Inkster Jr.
NNID
leatherbelt
What exactly happened with the destiny launch? was it an incomplete package but the updates to make it a complete package where paid dlc?

RespawningJesus

I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar.
Premium
NNID
RespawningJesus
What exactly happened with the destiny launch? was it an incomplete package but the updates to make it a complete package where paid dlc?
Destiny just had a lack of content. People found the areas of the first expansion, The Dark Below in the game at launch. You could even glitch your way into the areas, but you couldn't do anything there, since there were no enemies there. (Honestly, this happens all the time in games.) Also add in the fact that the campaign didn't really feel complete at all, having repetitive mission design (fight waves of enemies, kill this boss,) and terrible PvP (map design was just bleh,) and the biggest problem was the RNG (it never felt rewarding to get an item, since you wasted so much time achieveing nothing to get the weapon or armor you wanted,) and it comes to no surprise that people were disappointed in Destiny.

What is very interesting about Destiny is that I still has 60% of its player population still playing the game, so apprently the game is doing something right.

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
I share some of the grievances. Maybe not all but nice video overall. :)

Nico Nico Sleep

Pro Squid
I agree with these points completely. You spoke eloquently, and brought up great examples; there aren't really any counter-arguments to refute the points brought up. I feel like you should bring up the pay walled disc-locked content regarding the Amiibo, as it's something I think too many people are turning a blind eye to.

Jawson

Inkling
NNID
Nukingsman
I should really refuse to start that video because of that thumbnail... o_O

That being said, I usually just end up sticking to what "I like" in games like this. Everything else just becomes pointless. :confused:

EnderGamma

Senior Squid
NNID
EnderGamma
I feel like you should bring up the pay walled disc-locked content regarding the Amiibo, as it's something I think too many people are turning a blind eye to.
I'm haven't been really big into Amiibos since purchasing my WiiU. The ones I have are pretty much sit in their boxes being decor. But I see what you are getting at. I don't particularly care much for the challenge modes, but as for the gear I don't think other than aesthetics it will differ too much from gear you can get in the stores in regards to Abilities. But that is a complete assumption, no proof unfortunately.

I should really refuse to start that video because of that thumbnail... o_O
I'm sorry to hear. I just found the expression fitting :oops:

CyberHyperPhoenix

Senior Squid
I agree with these points completely. You spoke eloquently, and brought up great examples; there aren't really any counter-arguments to refute the points brought up. I feel like you should bring up the pay walled disc-locked content regarding the Amiibo, as it's something I think too many people are turning a blind eye to.
What do you even get from the Amiibos?

w00se

Inkster Jr.
NNID
w00sey
It very much reminds me of Team Fortress 2 when it first launched. The game launched with only 6 maps, a very small number of game modes, and only certain game modes available for certain maps. In addition no easy way to host custom games unless you were capable of hosting your own server so most of the time you just had to hope there was a server with enough slots open if you want to play with friends and no guarantee that you would be on the same team as your friends when you joined. Then later released more maps, game types, weapons, and gear as free updates. Before the game had ever had its first non vanilla map added to it I had easily put in over a hundred hours into it because the maps that were there were very well made and a lot of time had been put into the balancing of the different classes and the game types (even more impressive considering that most of them were asymmetrical). There were not extra weapons or hats to collect at the time, I was just genuinely having fun playing the game. If Splatoon can deliver an experience as polished as that I don't so much have an issue with the small map count on launch but somehow I have a feeling it will be a few updates before they get things polished up.

Not saying that the criticisms aren't valid because the really are. Very few games are lucky enough to get a 10+ year development cycle and actually get released at all. Splatoon certainly did not get that much time to work on the game and probably will not have the same level of polish at launch but I have a feeling there will be enough there for me to enjoy for a few months until we get the first batch of free updates. Mostly just though I'd point out that the tooney shooter from 2007 that had a similar amount of content on launch to Splatoon has stayed in the top 10 games on steam for active players pretty much since they started tracking that. I'm not too worried for Splatoon.

Kosaki

Pro Squid
NNID
Kosaki-0
I find it really bad that we have to wait until August for group matchmaking and private lobbies. It will hurt clans/teams a lot until then.

RespawningJesus

I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar.
Premium
NNID
RespawningJesus
What do you even get from the Amiibos?
Each amibo has one exclusive clothing set and weapon set. The weapons looks like they are just reskins though. And each Amibo also unlocks additional mini-games you can play while searching for a match.

However, you need to beat the challenge missions each Amibo comes with, and before you can play the challenge missions, I believe you will need to beat the campaign first.

Last edited:

<π.

Inkling Cadet
NNID
LessThanPiArt
Hey I just wanted to jump in here on this point; the walled amiibo content. Skylanders and Disney infinity have been doing the same practice for years before Nintendo announced amiibo. Is it fair or not? I don't really want to debate that... honestly I'm a little mixed there myself. But it isn't some big secret, Nintendo has been very clear about their objectives with the amiibo.

Nico Nico Sleep

Pro Squid
Hey I just wanted to jump in here on this point; the walled amiibo content. Skylanders and Disney infinity have been doing the same practice for years before Nintendo announced amiibo. Is it fair or not? I don't really want to debate that... honestly I'm a little mixed there myself. But it isn't some big secret, Nintendo has been very clear about their objectives with the amiibo.
Never said that Nintendo was the first to do it. But even though they aren't the first doesn't make it an okay thing to do. I didn't support Skylanders nor Disney Infinity; and it's hard to support my favorite game developer when they're doing something as fraudulent as disc-locked content. I personally love some characters who have amiibo like Megaman and King Dedede, but buying them means I'm supporting an issue in the video game industry.

Kosaki

Pro Squid
NNID
Kosaki-0
amiibos are cancer.
People buy them for collection, even though they're ugly as sh*t. That's just a meme-tier trend.
But hey, that helped in keeping Nintendo's latest results positive. And they have to keep presenting decent selling points.

Although, I don't think it's that much of a matter, as long as amiibos don't lock essential content.
20 disc-locked levels per amiibo is significant, but I don't see those as essential to my game experience. I don't think we'll be missing bosses, new weapons or whatever else that would be an important part of the game, it stays in the spectrum of purely optional content. Plus we still have the solo campaign, and it seems consistent enough from what I've seen.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom