• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

My New Theory on the Octarian Biology

Cephalobro

So, I just wanted to make an updated theory about Octarian biology and what I think of it. Again, I will show evidence that supports my claim and how it makes sense. But one thing to keep in mind, theories are not to be taken as fact and even theorists should keep that in mind, so without further ado, here is my updated theory! Keep in mind that there will be spoilers, you have been warned.

Octarian is a species being made up of many different subspecies, 99% of them being either a tentacle or a mass of tentacles. The only Octarian that doesn't have that simple quality is the Octoling. Now, many Octarians can grow more tentacles, but that doesn't mean that they will always grow more. In fact, most adult Octarians are not even Octolings, we have seen an Octotrooper as a spokesperson, a scientist and even as a teacher. So, it is a very rare occurrence that an Octarian develops into an Octoling. So you may be wondering, how are Octolings plentiful then? Simple, they are capable of sexual reproduction as well, which is a guaranteed way for an Octoling to be born. And no, there are no exceptions to this rule, I'll give an example: the starfish is capable of both sexual and asexual reproduction, when a starfish loses one of its "arms", that "arm" goes on to develop into another starfish, now while the new starfish was created, it still had all the same capabilities as its parent.

Now, there are Octarians that develop into Octolings. Sure, can't deny that. However, that doesn't mean that they aren't capable of sexual reproduction. In many multicellular species that are capable of asexual reproduction, every one of their species is capable of sexual reproduction, even if they had the asexual growth cycle. The aforementioned starfish, the tapeworm and even many species of plants (well, I'm just counting spores getting to the plant, that is). Just because you can't see something, doesn't mean they don't exist, bacteria exist, but we can't see them with the naked eye. The tentacle Octarians who develop into Octolings not only develop from the outside, but also from the inside, it's just how nature works, not everything that goes through a developmental stage can be seen. Not only that, but those Octarians also develop proper organs to support a more advanced body, this is another case of form = function, and this is true in real biology as well, you can't expect an animal with teeth that's made to grind meat to have an entirely vegetarian diet. And off course, they develop the much needed sexual reproductive organ as well.

There was already proof that Octolings are capable of sexual reproduction, they have the navel on their stomachs as well as belly buttons. It simply does not matter whether they were already an Octoling or they were another Octarian first, nature doesn't separate species based on how they were developed. We already see this as the case when we see Sashimori's Octoling being an actual Octoling child and not another Octarian subspecies since he doesn't have the Octarian lips while the Octoling in the artbook who was a Twintacle Octotrooper still had the lips even in the more humanoid stages.

And again, a multicellular species only being capable of asexual reproduction simply can't have a chance to be able to survive because of diseases that the host had. Sexual reproduction is needed in order for the negative traits to be left behind.

Now, the possibility of an Inkling and an Octoling crossbreeding hasn't happened yet, but it could happen according to Commander Tartar, one of his quotes being something along the lines of "Inklings and Octarians wage wars on minor genetic differences.", this implies that the biology of Inklings and Octolings makes it possible for a hybrid offspring. Updating the quote part once Inkipedia has the exact quote.

Attachments

Last edited:

Cephalobro

Since Inkipedia took too long for them to get the quotes, I had to get from a wikia instead, but this is copied from an image. Also, spoiler warning below as this happens during the final parts of Octo Expansion.

Commander Tartar said:
My prime directive is to pass humanity's vast knowledge on to the next worthy lifeform.

When your kind became self-aware, I hoped that my long wait was finally over.

But as I observed your evolution, I WAS DISGUSTED!

You wage war over minor genetic differences. You obsess over trivial fashion choices.
This quote from Commader Tartar seems to imply that it knew that evolution went an unpredictable path. So what made it unpredictable? One thing, squids and octopi suddenly having the ability to crossbreed with each other even though they didn't have it before.

Aguilar

Inkling
Inklings and Octolings crossbreeding? It could theoretically be possible. They're virtually the same when it comes to bodily functions. Both are made out entirely of ink, both have a squid/octopus form, and both have a humanoid form. It's very possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom