• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

My one problem with splatoon

InklingCaitlin

Full Squid
NNID
Caitlin
Switch Friend Code
SW-0816-6246-4407
EVERYONE KEEPS SPLATTING ME! Like even when I'm just causally strolling trying to ink things. ITS CALLED TURF WAR as in INK THE DAMN GROUND! Not splat everyone you see! If you wanna do that go play call of duty or some other stuff!

I cannot tell you how many times I have gotten splatted because people think the goal of TURF WAR is to splat people! And it is very very annoying when the SAME PERSON keeps splatting you OVER AND OVER AND OVER AGAIN!

:mad: Ugh... Sorry, just needed to get that out. Anyone else have this problem? Where people either A. think the goal of turf war is to splat every player you see or B. Just keeps getting splatted again andbagainnbynthe same person, because it gets rather annoying really quickly...

cm250

Inkling Commander
NNID
holleyfam2003
Switch Friend Code
SW-4590-2580-6429
Well in December the rush to get switches was crazy so new players from different games will take that aspect out of proportion( if you were playing with high level players they were trying to get on your nerves)

Mar$el

Inkling Commander
I understand the frustration of getting killed by the same person over and over again, but killing is very helpful in all game modes. Generally if you cross paths with someone you should try to splat them so that they can't paint for 8 seconds and lose their special charge. Sometimes I go into turf not feeling like being super aggressive and just use an E-Liter to stay away from people and just paint while sniping people who come in my range. But a lot of the time you just have to have a good mindset to try and prevent yourself from getting too mad and you'll have a lot more fun. Also the feeling of accomplishment or redemption when you splat that one guy you killed you several times in a row is quite rewarding :p

Padre

Pro Squid
The point is to ink turf AND trying to stop the bas guys doing the same.
Splatting is part of the game. Get a tank build, should help you survive. Also remember to super jump baxk to base if you get cornered.

Goont

Inkling Cadet
NNID
PrankingMaster
Whether it's turf, tower, splat zones, clam blitz, it doesn't matter, the goal of the game is to control turf and keep a strong defense. It is crazy important to turf the ground, you should always have control of the turf in any gamemode, holding parts of the map and traversing easy is key to success, but you've also got to defend yourself from the enemy. Focus on accurate aiming. Practice practice, and try switching to motion controls if you already aren't using them. Spend some time in Sheldon's practice area, trying using all different types of weapons and see what ones can turf well and take down the opponent easily. Try using a weapon with good defense and territory control like an N-Zap. (I know the Aerosprays are great for turf but their poor defense makes fighting enemy players a real challenge.) An N-Zap is a great starter weapon to inking quickly and efficiently, and can take down a foe pretty easily once you practice aiming.

AllToonedUp

Inkling Cadet
No offense dude, but Splatoon is an ONLINE COMPETITIVE game and EVERY MODE requires you to splat your opponents so they cannot work on their objective. If people only inked the ground and didn't hurt anyone, it would get boring very quickly. This isn't "super happy woomy inky fun time". The whole purpose of the series is to fight and work with your teammates.

I would practice fighting people and finding your main weapon in the meantime. Otherwise, if you still aren't having fun and you keep getting constantly splatted, I'm afraid Splatoon isn't the type of game for you.

J'Wiz

Inkling Cadet
NNID
JWiz
It would be nice if Splatoon had a low sodium multiplayer mode. Many consider Salmon Run low sodium, but that's if you either do it with friends, or you've put in enough time to do it rather effortlessly. Also if Salmon Run happens to be open at the time.

I'm having a similar problem with turf. I've been using Turf War as aggression practice, but more often than not, I go against people who don't seem to want to fight all that often, so I end up feeling guilty after each round. I let one guy kill me because I felt guilty for splatting him too much, and the jerkface squidbagged me!

There's other times where I've had an awful day, so I go in turf just to relax, paint, and get some chunks. NOPE! Bloodbath time! I have to go full aggro or I won't be able to leave spawn for the rest of the match.

Not sure how they would remedy this though. If they made it painting only, it would get very boring. I guess make a different turf war that distributes points differently? Deducts points whenever someone splats an enemy? Sounds like a terrible idea, but it's a start.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
No offense dude, but Splatoon is an ONLINE COMPETITIVE game and EVERY MODE requires you to splat your opponents so they cannot work on their objective. If people only inked the ground and didn't hurt anyone, it would get boring very quickly. This isn't "super happy woomy inky fun time". The whole purpose of the series is to fight and work with your teammates.

I would practice fighting people and finding your main weapon in the meantime. Otherwise, if you still aren't having fun and you keep getting constantly splatted, I'm afraid Splatoon isn't the type of game for you.
You make good points, but you could stand to tone down the rudeness. Someone not being acclimated to combat is no excuse for the "git gud" nonsense in this thread. You're not going to change Caitlin's mind that way, especially when they were clearly just venting salt.

Anyway, yes Caitlin, combat is an integral part of the game in all modes and turf war has gotten bloody enough that fighting skill is required. If you falter at direct combat, learning to flank with allies and hiding to ambush foes can be a good step towards better combat skills. We'd need to hear more to give better advice than that.

Last edited:

Hero of Lime

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Link643
Switch Friend Code
SW-5339-5185-8796.
I can relate to being frustrated by aggressive enemy players, and its made worse if they consistently manage to beat you. For advice, I recommend taking a balanced approach to turf war matches, as kills certainly don't win a match alone, you need map control as well. It's not uncommon to see the team with more kills lose a turf match because they did not paint enough early or late game, and get too overconfident leading to a team wipe. Even so, you need to be ready to splat other players to do well in the game, so I recommend you practice being more lethal with your favorite weapons, even if it's more for defense as opposed to an aggressive approach.

Aggressive players rarely turf much, even when using high inking weapons like the Splattershot or sploosh. Meaning they can be fairly easy to trap and defeat once you identify their aggressive tendencies. Unless they are an amazing player, a little patience can completely wall them off from you, especially if you like longer range weapons.

ThatOneGuy

Inkling Commander
NNID
BattadaBeast
when you splat that one guy you killed you several times in a row is quite rewarding :p
Nani?!

@Mar$el summed up why people kill a lot in turf war. You remove someone from the game for about 8 seconds and they lose some of their special. Plus it helps your team establish more ground in the meantime, giving your team better positioning and more control over the match. As they can move the objective much easier without someone in the way.

I'll admit, I'm that guy who will chase people down in turf war for sport, I could care less about covering turf. I'm trying to kill everyone so that my team can push the objective and take control of the map without much opposition.

Now, what can you do to stop me? First of all you can't. But as a rule of thumb, positioning is key to staying alive. If you're all the way in the back, no one can splat you. Which is why hydras, snipers and jet squelchers don't die often. But you can't always stay in the back. Sometimes you have to go up front.

So this leads me to my next positioning tip, what's the color around you? If it's the enemy's color you are very vulnerable. If it's your color, you have options if you are attacked. You can run and heal, or attempt to fight back with better mobility.

And lastly, be aware of where the enemies are. If a sniper is aiming their sights in the middle of the stage, stay away from there. If a roller is on the field, be wary of where they might be. Point is, try to be aware of where the enemy might be. You can do this by checking the map, or keeping track of where everyone is.

These three things won't always prevent you from getting splatted, but they'll help you not splatting in a dumb way.

thundasi

Senior Squid
This is SPLAToon not TURFtoon. I laid off turf war during christmas cause going into a turf lobby as an 89 and seeing a bunch 10 or lower. I turf war everyday with a new weapon cause past level 10 this is where you learn new weapon skills. Get a couple friends for a private battle. But people that go in and rip you up are trying to get SUPERFRESH weapons, learning how to use chargers, splatlings and really dont want to drag 3 other peoples rating down to learn something new.

squidsnafu

Inkling
I'm having a similar problem with turf. I've been using Turf War as aggression practice, but more often than not, I go against people who don't seem to want to fight all that often, so I end up feeling guilty after each round. I let one guy kill me because I felt guilty for splatting him too much, and the jerkface squidbagged me!

There's other times where I've had an awful day, so I go in turf just to relax, paint, and get some chunks. NOPE! Bloodbath time! I have to go full aggro or I won't be able to leave spawn for the rest of the match.

I've had that happen to me, too! Sometimes I go into Turf War to practice aiming and using new weapons, and then I end up with people who just enjoy walking around painting the floor. It makes me feel super bad. I tried to avoid splatting this one lowbie again out of guilt and he ended up splatting me and squidbagging me hah! love Turf War for relaxing sometimes though.

I'm not sure if this is true, but I have heard they try to match you into Turf War groups based on your playstyle. I've noticed every time I go into Turf War recently, it's gotten increasingly aggressive so now I can't even use it to relax anymore lol! Maybe it's true, or maybe it's coincidence. At least I'll get my weapon practice.

@InklingCaitlin Sorry you're having so much trouble. I would suggest leaving to find a more relaxed group if the current one is too aggressive. It helps to avoid rejoining if you're not having fun with the current squids. I think it's good to keep in mind people just have different reasons for joining Turf War and different methods to win. Splatting someone prevents them from painting the ground so it helps your team overall!

zzmorg82

Pro Squid
NNID
zzmorg82
Switch Friend Code
SW-2476-2506-3411
Honestly, I don’t even go for the objective in Turf War; I just go for splats, and I’m sure other people do the same thing.

I agree with @squidsnafu, find another lobby with slower playstyles and you should be gucci.

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
More like "if you want a game with reasonable matchmaking that can be trusted not to dump Kagu and ZackScott in one lobby then perhaps this game isn't for you"

No really, what probably happened to OP is that past the first few games the game decided to throw her in lvl90> lobbies,where she couldn't do much before getting spawncamped. And if that's the scenario that happened, then it's entirely not her fault but that of the matchmaking itself.

Last edited:

AllToonedUp

Inkling Cadet
You make good points, but you could stand to tone down the rudeness. Someone not being acclimated to combat is no excuse for the "git gud" nonsense in this thread. You're not going to change Caitlin's mind that way, especially when they were clearly just venting salt.

Anyway, yes Caitlin, combat is an integral part of the game in all modes and turf war has gotten bloody enough that fighting skill is required. If you falter at direct combat, learning to flank with allies and hiding to ambush foes can be a good step towards better combat skills. We'd need to hear more to give better advice than that.
More like "if you want a game with reasonable matchmaking that can be trusted not to dump Kagu and ZackScott in one lobby then perhaps this game isn't for you"

No really, what probably happened to OP is that past the first few games the game decided to throw her in lvl90> lobbies,where she couldn't do much before getting spawncamped. And if that's the scenario that happened, then it's entirely not her fault but that of the matchmaking itself.
I did not mean to sound rude and I forgot about the poor matchmaking system coming into play so I apologize in that regard.

In the meantime, I think OP should take things slow because I do understand how salt inducing this game can be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom