• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

"My team is crap!"

Zwei

Full Squid
NNID
ZweiMC
Sorry for the clickbaity title. I couldn't think of any non-clickbaity one, unless I were to post an objectively wrong title.

When I meet a splatoon player that just started, a significant portion of the time the first words I hear from them are along the lines of "My team is crap!". This includes my younger brother, who literally just started playing splatoon that day. I was also like this when I first started playing splatoon.

This statement is said because of the following line of reason: My team is worse, because we lost (no problem so far). I am better than most people in this rank (This is questionable). Therefore, the reason I lost is because my teammates were sub-par (Sometimes a valid conclusion, i.e. a disconnect).

The "I am better than most people in this rank" is sometimes valid, especially if you win more often than not. However, if you're blaming bad matchmaking for your inability to rank up, you're missing a very critical point: the enemy team isn't always perfect either.

By the law of large numbers, it makes sense that if you are average, the teammates you get over your journey will be roughly average over several games, and the same goes for your enemy teams. If you're above average as you claim, then you should make, on average, your team better than the enemy's, and maintain a >50% win rate.

If your win rate is under 50% over a large game session, then it follows that you're below average--otherwise you would have a >50% win rate or break even. In other words, if you lose more than you win, you're the problem and not your teammates.

If your winrate is <50% yet you believe your teammates are at fault, you are likely being affected by the Dunning-Kruger effect. Especially if you just started playing, you need to accept that you're probably not going to be better than people who have been playing for several days, or even weeks. If you blame your teammates, you'll leave less of an incentive for yourself to improve, and stunt your growth as a splatoon player. Accept that you may be the problem, and you'll have an easier time learning how to outperform. Keep a cool head, undetstand that you can't win every game, and practice, practice, practice.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Very well put. Although, everyone's guilty of team griping now and then, just kind of comes with salt. I agree with you and I still do this occasionally. The key is what you've said, learn from your mistakes and don't get TOO salty.

Nixon_Corral

Inkling
Another important thing to remember is that if someone is doing particularly badly on your team, it could just be a rough individual game for them. We all have our really bad rounds/games just like even the best pitchers give up the occasional home run. Just keep your head and move on.

mercenariez

Inkling Cadet
NNID
gamelo8018
I never understood this complaint because it doesn't matter if you're better than your teammates. The point is you need to be better than the enemy team. It's not a competition of you versus your team lol.

Superkootz

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Supermario182
If you're not good enough to carry your whole team then you do deserve to rank up lol

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
You'll deserve to rank up if you can carry for one below-average player, at least. Not much else to it, you only need to carry for your entire team if you have the rare misfortune to be stuck in an entirely bad team.

Zwei

Full Squid
NNID
ZweiMC
Statistically speaking, it's not even a necessity to carry. You just need to be more beneficial to the team as a whole than the average player, and this can include support roles.

ForteReborn

Inkling Commander
NNID
ForteReborn
Switch Friend Code
SW-5389-7346-0792
Lately I've been having a lot of bad matches. Most of the time I make the mistakes, or I need to change up my strategy. For anyone who believes losing is bad, it isn't. It teaches you skills, and use those skills in the next match.

Right now there is going to be a array of new players and the skilled players maybe playing a different time, which isn't their fault. Me, I play early morning till noon, which is kinda of an odd time for people who usually play late at night. So I might be stuck with a younger audience, so I have to keep in mind that I have to willingly teach them how to win the turf, even if it means we might lose the whole ordeal.

Does this mean I suck? Nah, just I am having a off day and of course, dealing with new players. They don't know, and it isn't their fault. Nintendo isn't known for shooters, so it is expected you are going to get more of a general audience who played different games. On top of that, this game is going to be vanilla just like the first Splatoon. There isn't a whole slew of weapons yet, and everyone doesn't have their nice gear sets on top of it to help them.

Plus Nintendo is observing what weapons are a bit over powering, or if there is camping problems in maps. So treat it as that, and take the lose like a solid pill.

Nero86

Inkling Cadet
NNID
nero86
Everyone makes mistakes, we're all human. To avoid that, build a squad with only people you trust, your heart and stomach will be happy.

Leedika42

Senior Squid
NNID
Leedika.TheGov
Let me share with you all my story of rank mode. I've got some pretty strong feelings about it but I'll skip all that for the sake of brevity

I am an S+ competitive player from splatoon 1, who mains splat roller and dynamo.
When I started playing splatoon 2, I had to climb the rank ladder again obviously. However this is nearly impossible without hard carrying my entire team. If I try to play with my normal roller strategies, then I get overwhelmed because all of my other teammates die and it's a 1v4 or 2v4. This resulted in way more losses than wins.

So I had to stop using my mains, equip a splattershot (which btw I hate using) so I could have enough range to solo the entire other team. Even at that point, I would only win if I killed 3-4 of the other team AND took the objective myself. If I failed to do this, I would lose, every single time

ForteReborn

Inkling Commander
NNID
ForteReborn
Switch Friend Code
SW-5389-7346-0792
I'm in B+ to A- depending how I play, but I'm seeing alot of people who play like c's.
I am too, so it isn't just you. With the luck of the draw, I either get a bad team or a good team, depending on the fleet of people getting in.

My friend suddenly went from -C minus in one round, and was given -B for just winning a lot. But that is with getting NO cracks in the bars. Again, luck of the draw, but annoying at the same time. I believe you should work gradually for your rank, not given it just because you got lucky for having a nice team finally.

Zwei

Full Squid
NNID
ZweiMC
"My team is crap!"

Literally, just see below.
Sample size of 1, this is just as likely to happen in the reverse if you're as good as you think you are. The enemy team had 2 really good players that took the center and carried, the bottom two of their team did about just as bad as the bottom two of your team. The only reason your team had much less inked was because the enemy team boxed you in incredibly quickly, preventing large-scale turfing, especailly compared to what they had done.

You may also think you were carrying because of the large turf inked, but you apparently did very little to prevent the enemy from reclaiming this turf. You grabbed it, but they grabbed it right back and continued the lockdown.

One is not a large number, this does not act as a counterexample to my main point that your team is not to blame if you get <50% win rate over a long session.

ForteReborn

Inkling Commander
NNID
ForteReborn
Switch Friend Code
SW-5389-7346-0792
And it is common sense. If you spot your team being flanked elsewhere, step up and support them than leaving them to rott. Things get hectic quickly if there isn't a solution.

Throw a bomb, or charge up a special to counter them so it relieves the team a bit so they can fight back. Of course, it is up to them whether or not they will comply, but it is the best option. The main objective is to change roles and act as a push to the other side.

This is why open gambit can be very good if you want to act as a major support unit during regular turf. You can get there fast and go at places where the team hasn't manage to take yet. I also try not to go within the same range as all the other members. Inking from behind hammers their tactics of recovering, and makes them eager to jump back to fix it.

sunaku

Hello again!
Community Ambassador
NNID
yuuisim
Switch Friend Code
SW-3702-6418-1999
Very well written, and very true!!

leowtyx

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
leowtyx
Sample size of 1, this is just as likely to happen in the reverse if you're as good as you think you are. The enemy team had 2 really good players that took the center and carried, the bottom two of their team did about just as bad as the bottom two of your team. The only reason your team had much less inked was because the enemy team boxed you in incredibly quickly, preventing large-scale turfing, especailly compared to what they had done.

You may also think you were carrying because of the large turf inked, but you apparently did very little to prevent the enemy from reclaiming this turf. You grabbed it, but they grabbed it right back and continued the lockdown.

One is not a large number, this does not act as a counterexample to my main point that your team is not to blame if you get <50% win rate over a long session.
I was just halfheartedly joking, but here's other 4 extreme samples out of the last 50 matches.

image2.PNG image3.PNG image5.PNG image6.PNG

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
I was just halfheartedly joking, but here's other 4 extreme samples out of the last 50 matches.

View attachment 5238 View attachment 5239 View attachment 5240 View attachment 5241
I'm not sure what to take away from that. First off, what mode is this, turf? Your allies died more than you, yes, but you also contributed the least splats/assists across every match despite your multiple special uses. It gives me the impression that you weren't engaging the enemy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom