• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

My Terrible Mission to reach 99 Freshness

Artsy Omni

Inkling
NNID
artsyomni
So I've been on this rather frustrating (and frankly idiotic) quest to reach 99 Freshness on my main weapon, which is the Inkbrush. I've managed to get to 85.5, but after that, I hit a losing streak that seemed impossible to overcome. Usually that sends me back down to around the 50s. And it happens pretty fast, given that the freshness penalty after 50 for losing is 3pts.

And let's not even get into the times where a teammate is idle for the majority of the match, essentially dooming you to lose.

I'm not sure what I can do to improve or help my odds, other than maybe knowing when to quit. But the most recent time, I did the climb in manageable, 10pt sessions between multiple days. Started the last session at 78.5, but couldn't for the life of me get past 85.5. It's like once you get to that point, the game actively gives you the worst possible teammates and puts you against monsters. Even when I lose, I'm getting 1200p or more (often as much as 1700p) and getting the most splats on my team. I even fairly frequently win 3v4s, which is basically essential to climbing

Wouldn't you know it, I'm back to 50.5 at the moment. I'm extremely close to giving up on this goal, because it feels like the game actively doesn't want me to accomplish it.

Any advice? (inb4 "give up")

Forma

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Forma1
Switch Friend Code
SW-3994-7331-0318
I've been struggling enough trying to get each weapon to 15 to get all the possible EXP bonuses, so I can only imagine how difficult trying to get to 99 will be. Since it's your main weapon I feel like you have better odds of success in an average match against players of your skill level.
This probably sounds cruel, but if you join up with a friend who isn't as good at the game, you'll be matched with worse players on average if you feel comfortable getting it done that way. I've admittedly done this a few times to level some troublesome weapons. Alternatively, if you're willing to take a risk in a lobby with multiple people cephalopartying (or otherwise wasting space) you could hope all the offenders end up on the opposite team. Other than that, though, it's gonna be a rough climb. Seriously, good luck on hitting 99 - I'm sure you'll need it.

Cephalobro

As someone who's trying to get at least one Freshness flag on all of the weapons in the game, it does seem like the game doesn't want you to reach your goals. This is the exact reason why I'm staying on S+ for the Ranked matches because the frustration simply isn't worth to get to the highest rank which you could very well lose the hard-earned rank due to some idiots throwing the game, this goes double for the Freshness meter, I only plan to have all the weapons reach the Raw status and just simply leave that be. If the matchmaking system were to be less random, then I would go for the highest ranks, but since it's completely random even in Ranked, I won't shoot for the highest anything except for levels.

But I hope you have the best of luck in reaching your goal, keep at it unless you don't want to do it anymore.

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
*raises eyebrow*
You the real Artsy Omni?!

Anyway, you obviously wouldn't be the first person to try it--and the ones that eventually succeeded partly through determination. But they've all gone/going through your same experiences nonetheless!

Other than cheesing wins by having a friend throw matches when on the opposite team, or joining a less skilled friend so you'll matchup with other lower skilled players, you may have to learn to be more aggressive. Not exactly yolo-reckless-Sploosh-o-matic aggressive, but aggressive enough to control, lockout, and penalize the other team to increase your odds of winning.

Whether you give up or not, best of luck all the same! Given the nature and pitfalls of turf war, max freshness is not an easy challenge...

Artsy Omni

Inkling
NNID
artsyomni
*raises eyebrow*
You the real Artsy Omni?!
Yep. =P

Do we still not have any concrete idea of how matchmaking is done in Splatoon? It's really frustrating to see these sudden changes in the tone of lobbies over time and not understanding why it's happening.

Also, words cannot possibly describe how stupid it is that winning a match where you had a man down for over half of the match doesn't net you 2 freshness instead of one, given how monumentally difficult it is to win a 3v4. Seriously, there is absolutely no excuse not to reward winning a severely disadvantaged match more than you would a fair match.

Reila

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I've been struggling enough trying to get each weapon to 15 to get all the possible EXP bonuses, so I can only imagine how difficult trying to get to 99 will be. Since it's your main weapon I feel like you have better odds of success in an average match against players of your skill level.
This probably sounds cruel, but if you join up with a friend who isn't as good at the game, you'll be matched with worse players on average if you feel comfortable getting it done that way. I've admittedly done this a few times to level some troublesome weapons. Alternatively, if you're willing to take a risk in a lobby with multiple people cephalopartying (or otherwise wasting space) you could hope all the offenders end up on the opposite team. Other than that, though, it's gonna be a rough climb. Seriously, good luck on hitting 99 - I'm sure you'll need it.
Excuse my ignorance, but what exp bonuses?

Forma

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Forma1
Switch Friend Code
SW-3994-7331-0318
Excuse my ignorance, but what exp bonuses?
When you hit 5, 10 and 15 consecutive wins with a weapon, you get a bonus of 3000, 4500 and 6000 EXP respectively. This is additive, so it doesn't stack with tickets, but it's a total of 1,876,500 EXP waiting for you if you're insane enough to get every weapon to 15.

Ansible

Community Ambassador
Ah yes, winning a 3v4: the glory of a normal victory without any added bonus... =/

Other than an interview or two vaguely hinting at some of their matchmaker's operations... nothing concrete. Just speculation and theory among the playerbase. Doesn't help either that since the final Splatfest and update has given the matchmaker quite the fluctuations to compensate for a thinning in our playerbase.

Artsy Omni

Inkling
NNID
artsyomni
The harder I play, the more hopeless this feels. I've been stuck between 50 and 66 all day. It's as if the longer I play, the worse my teammates are and the harder I have to carry to get a win. I feel like I've taken 50 screenshots where I had well over 1300p and several splats and lost. I don't know what more I can possibly be doing.

Yup. Back to 51. I give up. Turf War is garbage. At this point, I see no reason to even play this game anymore. 99 Freshness was the last goal I felt was worth pursuing. I've 1000% single player, beaten every level of Octo Expansion with every weapon and defeated Inner Agent 3, reached X Rank, gotten superfresh on a ton of weapons, gotten 4 gold flags and have no desire to try with any other weapons... what more is there to accomplish?

Last edited:

Ansible

Community Ambassador
What more is there to accomplish?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

That's up to you. You can make up your own goals, and just play to play.

After the Final Fest even I set the game aside until this past week. I started playing again because I just wanted to play again. Once I hop on, it's recess time!

I'm sorry for not getting the chance to play against or with you, but whatever you decide with the game, I'm glad you got the most out of the it and enjoyed yourself where you could! =)

Reila

Inkling Fleet Admiral
When you hit 5, 10 and 15 consecutive wins with a weapon, you get a bonus of 3000, 4500 and 6000 EXP respectively. This is additive, so it doesn't stack with tickets, but it's a total of 1,876,500 EXP waiting for you if you're insane enough to get every weapon to 15.
Oh, that is cool. Thank you. Now if only I could find matches to play in the game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom