• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

N-Zap '83 Analysis and Thoughts

Skoodge

Brella Aficionado
Switch Friend Code
SW-2149-6955-3787
N-Zap '83

Level Unlocked: 20
Cost: 7,000
Base Damage: 28
Range: 50/100
Attack: 27/100
Fire Rate: 75/100
Depletion: Medium

Sub Weapon: :pointsensor: Point Sensor
Special: :kraken: Kraken

Part of Sheldon's Picks Volume 2

Last edited:

Skoodge

Brella Aficionado
Switch Friend Code
SW-2149-6955-3787
Since no one made this thread, I made it!

Really loving this weapon, feels like a combination between a neo sploosh, and zimi, and it is a ton of fun. Really aggressive at times, but supportive at others. I play it a lot like a jr or zimi, cover turf, get kraken, go full offense, rinse and repeat. Really powerful on most modes, especially zones, but also does considerable damage to the rainmaker shield, and kraken to pop, or just assassinate the rainmaker. Least effective on TC, but not by much, still has kraken, and can help flank, and control turf for allies. I know some think it has a too low ttk, but I think that this is only true if you play it like a splattershot, just hit people from the side instead, and the kraken for bad situations.

I use this gear with it
:ability_runspeed: :ability_runspeed::ability_runspeed::ability_runspeed:
:ability_runspeed: :ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed:
:ability_inkresistance::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed:

Thinking about running cold blooded, but not sure if it truly worth it. Special saver is also a good choice, since it is medium depletion.

SupaTim

Prodigal Squid
NNID
SupaTim101
Do you think this weapon is usefull for agressive players/flankers?
Very useful. You can cover ink easily, have a good time-to-kill, and a kraken panic button if things go south. If you can't push in you have point sensors to tag enemies and prevent them from flanking or getting your longer range teammates to take them out.

I would definitely run a sonic build like what Skoodge posted as mobility is really important for flankers and slayers.

Magnus0

Pro Squid
Is defense up good with this weapon? Most of my swim speed up gear have defense up as sub, so I thought of making a set with a mix of defense up and swim speed for the kraken. This is what it looks like:

:head_cap001::ability_swimspeed:|:ability_defenseup::ability_defenseup::ability_specialcharge:
:clothes_msn::ability_swimspeed:|:ability_defenseup::ability_defenseup::ability_inksavermain:
:shoes_slp002::ability_defenseup:|:ability_swimspeed::ability_specialcharge::ability_swimspeed:

Is this actually a decent build, or do I really need some run speed?

SyMag

SOLDIER 1st Class
NNID
PKThunda
Naturally the N-Zaps are always a good fit for the wild old-school gunmen who prefer to splat their enemies like ducks. But which flavor of N-Zap to use depends on the current mode. Personally I've found that this gun excels in Tower Control. The Point Sensor makes it easy to paint enemies, more so if they're on the tower, giving you time to take them out before they become too much of a nuisance. And of course Kraken is a good tool on both offense and defense: picking enemies off, scaring them off the tower, and holding it down until friendly reinforcements arrive to continue moving it forward...all of which are absolutely crucial elements in any winning TC strategy.

Hitzel

Inkling Commander
NNID
Hitzel
The new nzap is very flexible and quite powerful, probably one of the best Sheldon's Picks weapons IMO.

The most important strength of the 83 is that it allows for the "tentatek role" of a team to use a Kraken, which allows for more flexibility in team comps and also allows for some weapons without Kraken or Bubbler to shine that would have otherwise put pressure on their teammates to make up for the lack of invincibility.

Generally, the 83 is best played by patiently and persistently painting and marking enemies, and stalking until it can act explosively and make plays with its CQC mobility and access to Krakens. The key is to know when to switch between painting and marking enemies, to assassinating or slaying. It's similar to tentatek in that regard, although its kit changes how it goes about map presence and playmaking.

In order to use the 83, you're going to have to get comfortable with the 4-shot kill. Contrary to popular opinion, I do not think that the nzap itself is bad in combat ─ it has not had a good slaying kit in the past but now it does. Once your aim is disciplined enough, the kill time is only 3 frames slower than tentatek, basically negligible. It allows you to be a tentatek with Kraken, and once you're at that level, you're going to be a terror.

You also need to understand how to use point sensors as a pressure tool, as both part of your explicit offense and a way to continue pressuring enemies when you need to stay back ─ marked enemies are going to take less risks than normal and allow you and your team opportunities to advance.

There are a lot of ways to build the 83, but I'll mention two example loadouts to think about:

Counter-Tank: It only takes 1 main and 1 sub of damage to be immune to defense up outside of fall-off damage. This is a big deal when approaching the whole "guess how much damage and defense are needed" game that tentateks and 52's play. The 83 can just win that game by running up to 1m1s damage, stacking a desired amount of defense, and filling in the rest with run speed. This allows the 83 to chew through all defense while simultaneously giving other weapons problems with its own defense. Low amounts of run speed can still be good on these builds because the nzap itself more or less gets one non-scaling main of run speed for free to begin with, resulting in an even more difficult-to-kill target. Alternatively, 1m1s damage can be added to pretty much any build to guarantee that the 83 is immune to defense up.

Example build: 1m1s damage, 1m6s defense, 1m2s run speed

Sanic Meter-Build: Comeback is great for the 83. Since it gives special charge and run speed, it allows the 83 to gain insane meter while returning to the map. Run speed means that more droplets land by themselves and paint maximum ground, and special charge means that all of that paint yields more meter. When combined with even more run speed and special charge, its allows the 83 to ferociously build and hold onto many Krakens per match. A bit of swim speed or damage can be used to top off the 83's combat effectiveness. Alternatively, Comeback can be added to many other builds to serve as a very effective means of getting meter back after death.

Example build: comeback, 1m3s run speed, 1m3s special charge, 3s swim speed

Hopefully that gets some ideas flowing. The 83 is quite flexible and can often be built to satisfy many needs on a team, so don't stop thinking about abilities I haven't listed here. Have fun!

Spectre13

Inkster Jr.
My personal n zap build focuses mainly on movement in ink and kraken usage, Although I'd appreciate your thoughts on it.
:ability_specialcharge::ability_inkrecovery::ability_inkrecovery::ability_inkrecovery:
:ability_specialduration::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed:
:ability_inkresistance::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed:
I know the headset isn't the best since it generally doesn't need ink management but I wanted the special charge and if I need I provide a support with constant locations on opponents. I use this weapon as the strong aggressive player in pushing teams back in tower primarily, it can clear the tower of people unprepared to deal with krakens. Personally on Rainmaker I'd be more inclined to stick with the .96 deco or something with a little more range such as the Pro or squelcher series of weapons or even the tentatek. As for zones the 89 suits my play better as the support or again tentatek.

Astro86

Inkling
NNID
KOAstr04
The N-ZAP '83 is an interesting weapon to use as it allows you to be both aggressive and supportive at the same time. The Point Sensors help you teammates track down enemies and the Kraken can take down people that aren't paying attention. I like to use Bomb Range Up to support the Point Sensors and Swim Speed Up to support the Kraken. And even though the weapon is ink efficient, I like to use Ink Recovery Up to refill quicker and harass my enemies with more Point Sensors:

Astral

Astral Finish!
NNID
AstralFinish
Tbh NZAP doesnt have the best damage in the world, im pretty sure its always a 4 shot unless you stack damage (but that is a waste of gear slots) Im sure a main of Duration and a Swim Speed or two is best this way your kraken is stupid fast.

Not gonna lie Kraken NZAP is probably the only viable one in competitive play, im sure all the kits are great on Turf

Phlox

Senior Squid
NNID
PhloxofBirds
The N-ZAP '83 is an interesting weapon to use as it allows you to be both aggressive and supportive at the same time. The Point Sensors help you teammates track down enemies and the Kraken can take down people that aren't paying attention. I like to use Bomb Range Up to support the Point Sensors and Swim Speed Up to support the Kraken. And even though the weapon is ink efficient, I like to use Ink Recovery Up to refill quicker and harass my enemies with more Point Sensors:

Your first build is very underwhelming. Point sensors are not a threat by themselves and already cost very little ink, so Ink Saver and Bomb Range aren't too good on the weapon. However, the Run Speed and Swim Speed are really good in general for the N-Zap '83 (I would actually recommend the set suggested at the top, with 2m3s RSU, 6s SSU, and Ink Resistance).

Your second build is much better. It personally isn't something I would play, however it is an effective set (as long as you don't use the Studio Headphones, as it doesn't need Ink Saver Main).

Your third ability is very underwhelming as well. Bomb Range isn't needed on this weapon, and neither is Ink Recovery Up (as I've said above). Special Duration is alright, but there isn't enough Swim Speed or Special Duration to abuse it.

Your fourth ability is slightly better than your third, but is still fairly underwhelming for the reasons I've listed.

The best bet for a build for you to run is either a lot of Special Duration Up and Swim Speed Up, or Run Speed Up and Swim Speed Up (along with Ink Resistance). Of course, Comeback, Quick Respawn, and Stealth Jump is another option since the gear is incredibly good in this current meta.

Tbh NZAP doesnt have the best damage in the world, im pretty sure its always a 4 shot unless you stack damage (but that is a waste of gear slots) Im sure a main of Duration and a Swim Speed or two is best this way your kraken is stupid fast.

Not gonna lie Kraken NZAP is probably the only viable one in competitive play, im sure all the kits are great on Turf
No weapons can increase their potential maximum number of hits required to splat at full health. A Custom Jet will never go above 33.3 per bullet (or a 4-hit kill). Same goes for N-Zap. Best builds are the ones I've listed. Your build is definitely a potent one.

Also, N-Zap '85 is somewhat viable, and so is '89 in certain Splat Zones maps (d'Alfonsino and Mahi-Mahi come to mind).

Last edited:

Astro86

Inkling
NNID
KOAstr04
Your first build is very underwhelming. Point sensors are not a threat by themselves and already cost very little ink, so Ink Saver and Bomb Range aren't too good on the weapon. However, the Run Speed and Swim Speed are really good in general for the N-Zap '83 (I would actually recommend the set suggested at the top, with 2m3s RSU, 6s SSU, and Ink Resistance).

Your second build is much better. It personally isn't something I would play, however it is an effective set (as long as you don't use the Studio Headphones, as it doesn't need Ink Saver Main).

Your third ability is very underwhelming as well. Bomb Range isn't needed on this weapon, and neither is Ink Recovery Up (as I've said above). Special Duration is alright, but there isn't enough Swim Speed or Special Duration to abuse it.

Your fourth ability is slightly better than your third, but is still fairly underwhelming for the reasons I've listed.

The best bet for a build for you to run is either a lot of Special Duration Up and Swim Speed Up, or Run Speed Up and Swim Speed Up (along with Ink Resistance). Of course, Comeback, Quick Respawn, and Stealth Jump is another option since the gear is incredibly good in this current meta.

No weapons can increase their potential maximum number of hits required to splat at full health. A Custom Jet will never go above 33.3 per bullet (or a 4-hit kill). Same goes for N-Zap. Best builds are the ones I've listed. Your build is definitely a potent one.

Also, N-Zap '85 is somewhat viable, and so is '89 in certain Splat Zones maps (d'Alfonsino and Mahi-Mahi come to mind).
Thanks for the feedback! My second build is the one I tend to use most often (with the Tentacles Helmet).

I also wanted to state my reasoning for the Point Sensor. Yes, I agree that they're not a threat by themselves. However, from my personal experience, I've noticed that most players I've encountered tend to play more reserved once they get tagged. So I like to keep them conditioned by throwing more sensors and as a result, run out of ink quicker which is why I use IRU. But as I stated before, the weapon is ink efficient so its just a matter of me learning to manage my ink better. I also like to keep a little bit of distance between myself and my opponents and try to fight at my effective range (i guess it's the fighting game player in me) which is why I use Bomb Range Up so I don't have to get too close.

You do bring up some good points and I will definitely take them into consideration! So thanks once again!

Astral

Astral Finish!
NNID
AstralFinish
Technically you can with Splattershot, 52, 96, and maybe 1 or 2 others. You are right however, i just stacked damage and its still a 4 shot, not sure why i thought it could be lowered to a 3

Phlox

Senior Squid
NNID
PhloxofBirds
Thanks for the feedback! My second build is the one I tend to use most often (with the Tentacles Helmet).

I also wanted to state my reasoning for the Point Sensor. Yes, I agree that they're not a threat by themselves. However, from my personal experience, I've noticed that most players I've encountered tend to play more reserved once they get tagged. So I like to keep them conditioned by throwing more sensors and as a result, run out of ink quicker which is why I use IRU. But as I stated before, the weapon is ink efficient so its just a matter of me learning to manage my ink better. I also like to keep a little bit of distance between myself and my opponents and try to fight at my effective range (i guess it's the fighting game player in me) which is why I use Bomb Range Up so I don't have to get too close.

You do bring up some good points and I will definitely take them into consideration! So thanks once again!
They do play more reserved. However, the main use of the Point Sensor is to keep track of people when you engage, not to make them play more reserved. In that aspect, other gear that helps you initiate better is more worthwhile, as Bomb Range doesn't increase your effective range (unlike other thrown projectiles like Disruptors or throw bombs).

Fighting at your effective range is useful, however the '83's effective range is much shorter than something like a Tentatek's. However, it makes up for that by having good up-close fighting power with Kraken and its consistent damage.

Technically you can with Splattershot, 52, 96, and maybe 1 or 2 others. You are right however, i just stacked damage and its still a 4 shot, not sure why i thought it could be lowered to a 3
No, you can't for those weapons. A Splattershot will not be reduced to two hits at full health, and neither will a .52 or .96 Deco kill in one hit. Weapons can only have their hits to kill increased past their lowest potential, not decreased. Which is why a Tentatek can be increased to four shots but never decreased to two.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom