• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

N-Zap 85 or 89?

Which weapon do you think is better?

• N-Zap '85

Votes: 14 87.5%
  • N-Zap '89

Votes: 2 12.5%

• Total voters

SacredWarrior

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
SacredWarrior88
Switch Friend Code
SW-5006-3355-6621
Although I will always love the Dark Tetra Dualies, lately I've been using the N-Zap 85 and 89 and I really like how the weapons feel and play. The N-Zap '89 was my main in Splatoon 1 so it was only natural that I reunite with my love again right? Although I wish its special was Splashdown instead of Tenta Missles :(

The N-Zap 85 is pretty decent but I don't care much for its sub or special sadly. But I definitely love that I can be more aggressive with it as opposed to its orange cousin.

Eventually one of these weapons will become my secondary but which one should I pick? I'm leaning more towards the N-Zap 89 :)

awedry

Full Squid
Hi SacredWarrior,

I too enjoy the N-ZAPs, they're my preferred shooter. Both the 85 and the 89 are workable support weapons, but the 85 is far superior in my view because of Ink Armor alone. It's such a helpful special in all modes, protecting you and your team for precious extra frames when making a push for the objective. You can get many Armors in a game because N-ZAP paints so well (210p is not difficult to reach), and the ink refill works well with the Suction Bomb sub. Tenta Missiles require you to disengage more, and to me they feel like they don't do anything half the time. That said, they are good for targeting Splatlings and Chargers outside your range and forcing them to reposition - something to consider if you need that in your team comp.

Now, if only there was an N-ZAP with Ink Storm...

~A.

Cephalobro

I prefer the N-Zap '85, as that's the only shooter that allows me to be aggressive enough on the battlefield while also providing Ink Armor for my teammates, that and the Ink Armor allows me to chase away or even splat enemy chargers who happen to make certain areas out of reach. Definitely a good weapon if you want to play the offensive play style all the time with that secondary support, the only thing I don't like is that it has Suction Bombs rather than Splat Bomb, making it extremely hard to get someone who hides behind a wall.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Generally speaking, the '85 is considered "better". Ink armor remains a powerful special, and suction bombs have more killing power and zoning ability than autobombs. I like tenta missiles and feel that they get a bad rap, but a weapon like the N-Zap needs to be able to use all aspects of it's kit in direct combat. The Kensa Splattershot makes better use of the same special, in my opinion.

Gameboy224

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Gameboy224
Hi SacredWarrior,

I too enjoy the N-ZAPs, they're my preferred shooter. Both the 85 and the 89 are workable support weapons, but the 85 is far superior in my view because of Ink Armor alone. It's such a helpful special in all modes, protecting you and your team for precious extra frames when making a push for the objective. You can get many Armors in a game because N-ZAP paints so well (210p is not difficult to reach), and the ink refill works well with the Suction Bomb sub. Tenta Missiles require you to disengage more, and to me they feel like they don't do anything half the time. That said, they are good for targeting Splatlings and Chargers outside your range and forcing them to reposition - something to consider if you need that in your team comp.

Now, if only there was an N-ZAP with Ink Storm...

~A.
If this were old Tenta Missiles, I would agree, but with how many speed buffs Tenta Missiles have gotten, there is very little commitment to using them other than aiming, and even then they thankfully added the ability to swim while aiming. They serve a pretty simple purpose, spreading some chaos and scrambling people. You don't use Tenta Missiles to kill, you use them to break defenses or size targets up for a kill.

Given, 85 is still probably better overall because Suction Bomb is generally more useful than Autobomb and Ink Armor is just a general plus.

SacredWarrior

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
SacredWarrior88
Switch Friend Code
SW-5006-3355-6621
Suction Bomb is generally more useful than Autobomb
It's the other way around for me. I find Autobombs easier for seeing where opponents are and I've even gotten kills with it as opposed to Suction Bombs.

RocketsTail

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-2874-2863-4789
I don’t use the N-Zaps a lot but if I play ranked, I’d go with the 85....turf or Private battles ,the 89. It is satisfying to get an autobomb kill....because people rarely expect to be killed by one. Whenever I use other weapons with autobomb, I just spam the hell out of them. They’re almost as annoying as torpedoes.

Lerno1

Inkling
I used to use the '85 extensively thanks to Ink Armor, but started trying out other weapons (and I hate suction bombs). Now if the new '83 had Splat Bombs and Ink Storm... well I guess just Splat Bomb itself would make it good enough

Squidilicious

Inkster Jr.
If you're trying to troll, the nzap 89. Otherwise the right answer is always the nzap 85. Obviously the 83 introduces another option but IMO the 85 better than the 83 too (unless you want to be in a pure support role). The 89 is dead last behind the other two.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom