• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

NA's November splatfest: Sci-Fi versus Fantasy! Fiction fight!

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215

It's that time again, in America at least! The action will happen next Friday, 11/17 from 9PM PT to 9PM PT the next day.

We can get some real discussion out of this one! What side are you thinking and why? Personally, Sci-fi interests me more, give me freaky aliens and lasers and space operas!

Berry

Senior Squid
NNID
BlazzBerry
Dragons, magic, most of anime.

I think we all know what's the right side.

J'Wiz

Inkling Cadet
NNID
JWiz
I've never been interested in Sci-fi, so sorry Pearl, but I'm going on Marina's side for this one.

If we're talking about media, some of my most played games are fantasy, and they've dominated a fair share of my life.

Childhood: Zelda
Teenage years: Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts, Fire Emblem, any JRPG I could get my grubby hands on
Current years: Elder Scrolls, Dark Souls

While you Sci-fi fans might be traveling the stars, I'll be down here praising the sun.

So for this Splatfest *I put on my robe and wizard hat*

Last edited:

swimmingknife

Semi-Pro Squid
Given that about 95%+ of the books I read are fantasy and I'm an aspiring fantasy author, the choice is pretty easy for me.

Not to mention that you can make a pretty compelling argument for most modern science-fiction being at least partly fantasy anyway. Any sci-fi which involves an element not explained by technology (The Force in Star Wars being the most obvious example) is technically fantasy. And any element explained by technology that isn't realistically possible (faster-than-light travel, for instance) is also technically fantasy. Once you start getting into the realm of really soft science fiction, at that point it's basically just pure fantasy in a futuristic setting.

I know that all this Splatfest is actually meant to boil down to is elves vs aliens, swords vs lasers, technology vs magic, etc. But looking at it in terms of what the fantasy and sci-fi genres are actually supposed to be, sci-fi gets the short end of the stick in a lot of ways.

Mr. Squiggly Squid

Inkling Commander
This one was really hard for me, I like both a ton. In the end, it pretty much came down to whether I liked Star Wars or Lord Of The Rings for me. I've always loved Star Wars, LOTR is cool, but Star Wars just interests me more. So I'm going with Sci-Fi. LET THE BATTLE COMMENCE!!!

Clawford

Full Squid
NNID
Clawford
Pearl got hit with the nerf bat. It was nice while it lasted.

Flopps

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-3195-9273-4326
Crud, this is Vampires vs. Werewolves for me all over again.

Laser guns! Space! Time travel! All in Sci-fi!

Dragons! Spells! Harry Potter! All in fantasy!

This maybe an unanswered question, but what genre does Steven Universe fall in? I might choose based on that.

Mr. Squiggly Squid

Inkling Commander
Crud, this is Vampires vs. Werewolves for me all over again.

Laser guns! Space! Time travel! All in Sci-fi!

Dragons! Spells! Harry Potter! All in fantasy!

This maybe an unanswered question, but what genre does Steven Universe fall in? I might choose based on that.
I' say Sci-fi, because from what I can remember, there's some spaceship themed stuff In it.

The Salamander King

NNID
sintiss0421
Switch Friend Code
SW-3785-4018-5310
Sci-fi because most of the best books and movies ever made have been sci-fi.

Jurassic Park
Star Wars
The Twilight Zone
War of the Worlds
Godzilla
Dinotopia
And my personal favorite
Whales on Stilts

BBGrenorange

Inkling Cadet
So glad I'm EU because Nintendo making me choose between the two of these would not have been fair.

Globin347

Inkling Cadet
NNID
ThePowerPigeon
This one's tricky, because a lot of "sci fi" stories could be described fantasy stories- Star wars and Dr Who both gloss over physics and introduce impossible elements with no attempt to explain how they might work, or give the impression that they might one day exist.

In addition, I'm at a point of indecision. I'm gonna have to think about this one.

On the bright side, I found this forum before splatfest this time.

Last edited by a moderator:

SilverBlue-Neko

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-0694-5266-9796
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!! FANTASY FOR LIFE! Also, Steven Universe is mainly fantasy with a bit of Sci-Fi. I mean a pink lion that can walk on water? Fantasy. :p

Hero of Lime

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Link643
Switch Friend Code
SW-5339-5185-8796.
Easy choice for me, being Fantasy, mainly due to my intense love of The Legend of Zelda and Fire Emblem, as well as the general fantasy theme. Sci Fi is cool too, and I love this Fest theme. Two pretty evenly matched categories, it should be pretty close.

Ember-Wisp

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
IceCrystalEmber
Switch Friend Code
SW-6109-1903-3315
Aaah I really like both! Fantasy and Sci-Fi are vague words and they can kinda become the same thing at times. oh well, I have a little time to pick one. ;w;

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom