• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

New Abilities on the Block

Energyblade7

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Energyblade
Hello Everybody,

Due to most recent Tumblr post by The Squid Research Lab, it appears that there WILL be new abilities (link here: https://splatoonus.tumblr.com)
But what you might not have noticed (if you haven't already read it) was that if you look very closely at this picture:
IMG_0711.JPG

You can see that in the bottom right corner, they cleverly hide one of those new abilities just out of view from us!

Due to what we see of the icon, it's a little squiddy that's covered in enemy ink. Which I theorize may act as new version of Defense Up, or will increase the amount of "hp" your inkling has.

But what do you guys think this ability could be.

ThatOneGuy

Inkling Commander
NNID
BattadaBeast
I think increased hp would be kinda OP, as it would make defense up unless compared to it, as with hp up, you'd be able to see the same benefits as defense up and live one shot kills from blasters, chargers and rollers. And since defense was a premier perk of splatoon one, I don't think they'd replace it or make it obsolete.

It could maybe be like a slight perk booster whenever you get caught in enemy ink. Like how when you get a perk boost from haunt whenever you're marked. Not a boost to mobilty as ink resistance is there. That's just my thought.

Energyblade7

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Energyblade
Or perhaps it's more of an assistive ability (like Recon), rather an a boosting one (like Comeback). Perhaps it's a wall hack, specifically for you, that allows you to see enemy Inklings if there in or covered in your teams ink.

Astral

Astral Finish!
NNID
AstralFinish
I understand why everyone is leaning towards it being a swim ink resistance up, but am I the only one that feels like that would make no sense?

Maave

Inkling Commander
Has Defense Up been confirmed in Splat2n? Maybe they're replacing defense up entirely.. "Health Up" instead of "Defense Up" would make it easier to track the numbers.

P-Kong

Full Squid
I understand why everyone is leaning towards it being a swim ink resistance up, but am I the only one that feels like that would make no sense?
Well, I'm inklined to believing it's something like "Health Regeneration Up", as the parameters for that already coexist in the same vein as other abilities in Splatoon's data, so it would be easy to implement and also quite unique.

Even when Ink Resistance's new color scheme resembles the new ability more and a Swim Ink Resistance sounds more possible, I also can't get behind that.
Maybe they recolored main-exclusive abilities and all shoe-abilities are orange and purple now, or they really separated Ink Resistance but also made it available as subs.

Mikaya

Certified Nerd
Premium
Pronouns
She/Her
Switch Friend Code
SW-4841-8448-2209
I doubt it would be double quick respawn, because it doesn't make sense. Maybe it allows a splatted ally to quick respawn as well as yourself? I don't know if that's a possibility since abilities can't affect others, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

D3RK

Semi-Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-6389-5985-3965 Username:「Derk」
Not sure what the ability is but there are a couple of options I would like to see it end up being.

Team Respawn [Main ability]:
Your team respawns faster as long as you are alive. Kinda a reverse Tenacity in a sense. This would be something for supportive players to consider.

Slow Respawn [Stackable]:
If you splat someone wearing quick respawn gear it cancels out a portion of their quick respawn. Think attack up vs defense up. This would offer an answer to quick respawn stacking.

Linked Respawn [Main ability]:
All teammates share your spawn timer while you are waiting to respawn. If you and 1 or more of you team gets splatted and you are stacking quick respawn then it would act like all of the people splatted were wearing the same amount of quick respawn.

I'm surprised nobody brought it up but those splat dualies have a different loadout from the test fire version but it doesn't have a sticker or any visual difference to show it's a different weapon. Now that specials are more balanced we may finally get custom loadouts?

Amarae

Splatoon subreddit & discord Mod
Community Ambassador
NNID
Amiithystine
Switch Friend Code
SW-5344-8655-6309
Honestly I'm jut hoping it's a placeholder (´ω`)

RespawningJesus

I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar.
Premium
NNID
RespawningJesus
My guess is that it lets you quick respawn when your team is already down a player or two.

Astra_

Inkster Jr.
My guess is that the ability allows your whole team to respawn quicker

So it's the same ability as before but now it is shared with your team

Green Waffles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I'm not so sure they would make an ability that directly buffs your whole team,
as stacking could easily get out of hand to the point of nerfing into oblivion

OR having only one take effect and becoming a wasted slot for anyone else on the team who has it, would discourage its use for soloqueqe(this actually sounds kinda balanced, but also unbalanced if the team assignments put one team with 2 or more people with overlapping team buffs and another with no overlapping team buff(s) )

Green Waffles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
duple post xP
But I wanted to share this video, he has a couple ideas for what the double respawn ability could be that I hadn't thought of.

Glimster

Inkster Jr.
NNID
HOPE_Glimmer
duple post xP
But I wanted to share this video, he has a couple ideas for what the double respawn ability could be that I hadn't thought of.
From this video Dude seems to think this ability will replace QR.However,with QR being in the Splatoon 2 beta,I highly doubt they'll get rid of it and that they'll be 2 different abilities. However,if this was the case,I feel like only the possibilities on life longevity and it being actual double QR are realistic.My problem though with life longevity is that I think it would make even less players use rollers or other close ranged weapons as they usually rush and flank for their kills. It would just make them adapt a campy playstyle.

Slow Respawn [Stackable]:
If you splat someone wearing quick respawn gear it cancels out a portion of their quick respawn. Think attack up vs defense up. This would offer an answer to quick respawn stacking.
I was hoping it'd be somewhat like this. I forget who said it on Twitter (Sendou I think?) but they were thinking that whoever you kill will respawn at the same speed you respawn at. So,say if you have no QR but have this ability and you kill someone stacking QR,well,then it negates their QR. While some would say that this would make QR useless,I think only more passive players would run this ability,so you would still get your QR when dying to 2-3 of your opponents. But who knows. I guess we just got to wait and see.

Something I read on the official Splatoon tumblr page is concerning me..

They said that the compatible splatoon amiibo will sometimes give you special gear, I emphasize the word "sometimes" because that might suggest that you won't always get the gear that you want.

So does this mean they're scrapping the concept of "amiibo challenges" and replacing it with some sort of luck based mechanic?

I hope that they don't scrap the "amiibo challenges" though, I liked doing those single player challenges, they are really fun.

I might be over thinking this a bit though..

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom