• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

New Changes to Maps During Ranked Matches

DonkaFjord

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
DonkaFjord
Has anyone tried out the new Arowana Mall, Kelp Dome, Saltspray Rig, and Moray Towers during ranked? I feel like they are vastly improved and offer a lot more options or simple fixes.

Arowana Mall: A new inkable lower pathway and a higher metal grate going around the center portion of the map letting you approach the in several new areas. They covered up some grating with an inkable surface to let you reach the new walkway as well. Also the most important thing: PALM TREES! Also might be some new shop signs at the side path that drops to the center acting as a blockade (Not sure- could have been there before but I don't think so.

Kelp Dome: A new shield is protecting the ramp to left of the spawn point.

Saltspray Rig: The path of the tower has been altered and new inkable blocks have been placed around the map to let you access the high ground several different ways.

Moray Towers: New walkways go around where the splatzones are and the bottom most ramp has a higher shield to protect from snipers. A new walkeway also goes along side the 2nd tier of ramps from the bottom that offer you another option to infiltrate the enemies lines. Seems to focus on making snipers a little less powerful and enlarging the center.

Also obviously urchin underpass is different- maybe just a little different.

So what do you guys think? You like the new changes? I love them-
any changes that you dislike or any more changes you want to see? Did I miss any changes?

I personally want there to be inkable blocks on Port Mackerel to let you get on top of the freight containers. Also add palm trees to blackbelly skatepark so the Callie & Marie conversation makes sense. I know the beta had them and they were probably cut because that stage can lag like crazy.

SkyBlue

Inkling Commander
Haven't played it, But I did do the recon map option and love where they moved the tower to on saltspray. Should be a lot better now.

Blue24

Inkling Commander
NNID
bluebomber2425
I played Aroma Mall and as a flanker and occasional Sniper Killer, I loved it. I went from being forced to use weapons I don't like and still losing alot to using what I like and winning more.

I only played the old Salt spray a little in tower. While I didn't struggle on it, I never had fun with it. After figuring out the stupid Tower route and getting silly losses, I love it.

Urchin is a total new map for me. Still have to learn it.

Ars Nova

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
creed32
Switch Friend Code
SW-5634-9921-9888
That sideway into the splatzone in Moray Towers surprised me because it wasn't until the second rank battle that I noticed it was there. I love it though because it gives me more room to guard the zone.

Pyritie

Full Squid
NNID
Pyritie
I noticed some more grating in the first big open area after your base in arowana mall.

sammich

Inkling Cadet
i can't comment on the towers because i honestly never did them in ranked battle before the change (took a break from ranked to level up all my gear), but i LOVE the changes in arowana and saltspray. i can't tell what they changed about urchin underpass; maybe they just nerfed greninja and called it a day.

some of these changes are in turf wars, too, like the palm trees in arowana mall that give precious cover and the lack of a cover block on the right-side sniper spot. the extended grate also seems to be present (i fell from the sniper spot in a firefight and because i didn't expect it to be there i squidded through it x_x) though i'm not 100% certain since i never really messed around with that grate before this.

are any of the other changes in turf wars as well as ranked?

Zoot

Inkling Commander
NNID
IveGotAMegaphone
The changes are great! I've had so many pointless Arowana Mall deaths when I slipped off the side platforms into the water, so the extra platforms there mean I can play properly without getting paranoid. It was already my favourite Splat Zones map, and now it's even better.

DonkaFjord

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
DonkaFjord
i can't comment on the towers because i honestly never did them in ranked battle before the change (took a break from ranked to level up all my gear), but i LOVE the changes in arowana and saltspray. i can't tell what they changed about urchin underpass; maybe they just nerfed greninja and called it a day.

some of these changes are in turf wars, too, like the palm trees in arowana mall that give precious cover and the lack of a cover block on the right-side sniper spot. the extended grate also seems to be present (i fell from the sniper spot in a firefight and because i didn't expect it to be there i squidded through it x_x) though i'm not 100% certain since i never really messed around with that grate before this.

are any of the other changes in turf wars as well as ranked?
Arowana keeps the palm trees in turf wars and obviously Urchin Underpass is new in turf wars as well. In tower control on Moray Towers the side paths where the splatzones would be aren't there but the other new path remains.

The changes are great! I've had so many pointless Arowana Mall deaths when I slipped off the side platforms into the water, so the extra platforms there mean I can play properly without getting paranoid. It was already my favourite Splat Zones map, and now it's even better.
I'm still getting used to the layouts and while jumping from the spawn on Moray Towers I got turned around so I thought I would take the new side path- I was one tier higher than where the path starts and it was a long, slow, embarrassing drop to my death.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom