• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

New Enemy Type Idea

Cephalobro

I have had this one in my mind for a while, it would be able to save the lore and give the developers a break from having to keep naming new -lings as subspecies: Mechaling

Mechalings act just like Inklings and Octolings, but unlike them, as the name states, are completely mechanical. This is an Inkling-like enemy that can be used by any antagonist without needing to introduce new Inkling-like species. In fact, I can see Commander Tartar using them if it ever came back.

Of course, they need to have a swimming form, I have thought about it and I think this part should be flexible enough for whichever antagonist uses it to have the swimming form resemble the animal in which the antagonist is based on. For example, if the Salmonids are the antagonist, the Mechaling would become a mechanical salmon to swim in ink.

crows

Inkster Jr.
Premium
Pronouns
they/them
Switch Friend Code
SW-6103-0887-9214
interesting idea, but it does raise a few problems. for one, ink weaponry isn't capable of destroying a metal robot without ridiculous amounts of force (based on various salmonid bosses and the bowling ball octarians). This would either open up some plot holes or limit the player to special weapons. Another problem would be that, due to them not being ink-based life forms, they'd have a limited amount of ink (assuming they could even use ink the same way inklings and octolings do).

Cephalobro

My idea is that they would need to have a power core on the outside to keep being operational because of its use of energy and thus, would use energy from the air, however, that power core also leaves them vulnerable to ink attacks. Considering they would also have a swimming form, they would, of course, be able to recharge ink.

And besides, all Octarians are able to infinitely use ink despite most of them not looking like they can do so. Their machines also get destroyed when they get splatted, even if it would leave the machine perfectly intact, this can be easily seen with the Octotroopers.

Saber

NNID
Saber
Switch Friend Code
SW-0369-4203-0233
The mechaling as it were should have an antena or a parascope kinda to give it a fusion between a species of cephalopod and a sub or boat

And while the inklings and octolings produce ink the mechalings would produce oil which would cause corrosive damage with certain enemies being able to ignite the oil into flames blocking paths

For the story simply the AI (commander tartar) was trying to make a worthy organism of humanity's knowlege in the octo expansion be this new subspecies be it's creation

Cephalobro

The mechaling as it were should have an antena or a parascope kinda to give it a fusion between a species of cephalopod and a sub or boat

And while the inklings and octolings produce ink the mechalings would produce oil which would cause corrosive damage with certain enemies being able to ignite the oil into flames blocking paths

For the story simply the AI (commander tartar) was trying to make a worthy organism of humanity's knowlege in the octo expansion be this new subspecies be it's creation
That's actually a great idea. I can see them like robots who go all Terminator and basically attacks anything organic if used by Commander Tartar.

HighColorSunset

Pro Squid
NNID
AmazingStrange9
Switch Friend Code
SW-0416-0878-7104
I thought of "Inktarians?" :P (In case you're curious, their faces are on the colored side. :P)

Cephalobro

I thought of "Inktarians?" :p (In case you're curious, their faces are on the colored side. :p)
I have seen some concepts of them, but I believe the reason why Inktarians don't exist is that Inkling tentacles can't be moved independently while Octoling tentacles can. (talking about the tentacles on their heads)

This is also kind of true with real squids and octopuses, squid tentacles will stop moving almost immediately if cut from the main body whereas octopus tentacles can actually move for as long as 1 hour after being separated from the main body. The octopus one is most likely referenced with the Octarians looking like single tentacles or mass of tentacles.

Last edited:

HighColorSunset

Pro Squid
NNID
AmazingStrange9
Switch Friend Code
SW-0416-0878-7104
I have seen some concepts of them, but I believe the reason why Inktarians don't exist is that Inkling tentacles can't be moved independently while Octoling tentacles can. (talking about the tentacles on their heads)

This is also kind of true with real squids and octopuses, squid tentacles will stop moving almost immediately if cut from the main body whereas octopus tentacles can actually move for as long as 1 hour after being separated from the main body. The octopus one is most likely referenced with the Octarians looking like single tentacles or mass of tentacles.
So an Octoling has a child when they get a haircut. :P

Cephalobro

So an Octoling has a child when they get a haircut. :p
Pretty much how I imagine that being the case (as well as the obvious "The Birds and The Bees" way), which one of my headcanons of Splatoon is that Octolings don't really cut their tentacles when they change hairstyles for looks, they use some other means of getting those kinds of hairstyle.

Last edited:

HighColorSunset

Pro Squid
NNID
AmazingStrange9
Switch Friend Code
SW-0416-0878-7104
Pretty much how I imagine that being the case (as well as the obvious "The Birds and The Bees" way), which one of my headcanons of Splatoon is that Octolings don't really cut their tentacles when they change hairstyles for looks, they use some other means of getting those kinds of hairstyle.
Yeah, wouldn't want baby Octotroopers everywhere. :P

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom