• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

New Game Mode: Salmon Run

Magic8Ball

Inkling Cadet
Community Ambassador
NNID
M4g1c8Ball
Thanks to the wonderful Nintendo Direct this evening, a new mode has been announced! The mode is called Salmon Run, a PvE (player vs environment) in which you kill radioactively angered Salmon and gather Power Eggs for a corporation. There are also bosses which grant Golden Eggs, which is the end goal for all these fish feeders. And of course, you'll earn fabulous prizes for your efforts!

Being a huge fan of the Zombies game mode from Call of Duty, I'm in heaven. The strategy and execution of these game modes is always so extravagant and precise, so to see Splatoon try their hand is going to be a whole new world of awesomeness. Not to mention that Zombies is always played best with friends, especially when goofing around. I also appreciate the Revival mechanic, and how they implemented key elements from past PvEs into this one with the Splatoon style, mirroring the success of other shooters in the process. Now it's all a matter of waiting!

What are all your thoughts on this? I'm excited to discuss and speculate thouroughly!

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
I'm gonna have a field day in that mode with my Jet Squelcher. Allies are revived by shooting them, and there was a tall enemy using the Sting Ray in the trailer too, playing chargers and long-range shooters looks like it's gonna be a blast!

Nester

Inkster Jr.
Content Team
Community Ambassador
So extremely excited for this mode. I could see it starting off with just the one map they showed and DLC map packs later on!

Gameboy224

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Gameboy224
I'm super hyped that there is a PvE oriented co-op mode.

I like the PvP aspect of Splatoon a lot, but sometimes a man just wants to rebel against the machine... uh I mean salmon.

But, yah, a co-op PvE mode has been sometime I've been hoping for, for a long time, so glad we're getting it. This raised my chances of getting Splatoon 2 when I get a Swtich from a 100% to a 160%.

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
Exactly what I wanted, a mode where you can have a group get together and just have fun regardless of skill level! Also cool that the Inklings have enemys other than just the Octarians.

Goont

Inkling Cadet
NNID
PrankingMaster
Reminds me of MVM in TF2. I wonder how tough some of the rewards will be to obtain. I have a feeling this is what Splatoon 2 will be mainly known for as it's main gamemode. This is looking pretty sweet.

spoxbox

Full Squid
NNID
Spoxbox
I think everyone is pretty excited for this mode lol. Who doesn't enjoy co-op survival in a shooter?

Gameboy224

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Gameboy224
Now what I'm wondering is just how difficult this mode can ramp up to?

Is it finite, endless? Hopefully there are at least a handful of maps. Looking at the reveal it seems the misty looking map might indicate at least multiple maps.

Trieste Sp

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
I've been hoping for a horde like mode ever since the first game. This is going to make this game seem like a worthy sequel to Splatoon.

Joasa

Depressed Squid
They mentioned something in the trailer about "going up the ranks"

Also, you're forced to wear certain gear, which removes gear abilities. Which makes me think that golden power eggs have maybe these uses-

Upgrade your Salmon Run gear or you use them to rank up. Or both, IDK.

John W

Inkster Jr.
Content Team
NNID
RetruateStudios
I'm interested if you can use specials like the enemies in this mode. I don't think anything like that was shown off. I'd love to run up in the midst of a bunch of enemies and splash down!

Goont

Inkling Cadet
NNID
PrankingMaster
With Online being paid and possibly iffy at launch, I imagine the LAN events for modes like this is really where the community can shine. I'd be up for co-op meet-ups similar to the frequent Monster Hunter ones that pop up.

TheOnlyStarz

Inkster Jr.
NNID
TheOnlyStarz
Switch Friend Code
SW-2730-2890-7517
Like everyone else, I'm quite hyped for the new game mode. I used to play Zombies on CoD and remember having lots of fun and meeting other cool players (of course, that was a long time ago). So hopefully Salmon Run will be a success like Zombies was for CoD.

I actually wasn't a great CoD player, so I never really got far with Zombie mode (mostly 'cause I loved using rocket launchers to blow everything up and never took the game seriously), but since I'm a pretty good Splatoon player I kinda wonder how much different of an experience I'll have with Salmon Run. Eh, who knows~ ^-^ I just can't wait to try it out!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom