• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

New Splat Charger video - is it still underpowered?

Zoot

Inkling Commander
NNID
IveGotAMegaphone

Here's a new video from Nintendo showing what a Splat Charger looks like in the hands of a skilled player. I know that this weapon received a lot of criticism after the Testfires for being too weak, so do you still think that's the case after seeing this?

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
I definitely never thought it was underpowered, people just didn't know how to use it correctly yet. This is definitely a nice video though, thank you for sharing. :)

Clayton-D

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Clayton-D
This video highlight something I think is important. The charger is NOT the best weapon for covering turf. However, is IS the best weapon for support. This weapon is great for helping out allies, eliminating threats, and creating paths into enemy territory.

Four of them on one team spell demise. One on a team of four is a blessing.

Cloudy

Shake Shake!
NNID
Cloud6483
Underpowered? It looks great for protecting your teammates when you have the high ground covered.

RespawningJesus

I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar.
Premium
NNID
RespawningJesus
It was never underpowered. It just has a greater learning curve, so you can't exactly pick up and play with the charger.

WispBae

Pro Squid
NNID
The-Wispy
It was never underpowered. It just has a greater learning curve, so you can't exactly pick up and play with the charger.
That, not to mention it's probably weaker in Turf War. I think it wil be a godsend in Splat Zones, contesting areas and defending from a safe distance. Now it would be interesting with an attack up buff, if it could splat peepz just by hitting them with the ink's run-off instead of directly...

Bottlecapn

Inkling Commander
NNID
Bottlecapn
I never thought it was underpowered, but I didn't ever think it was all that useful. This video definitely opened my eyes to the Charger's full potential.

Clayton-D

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Clayton-D
I feel like the charger will need a different set of stat boosts than other weapons. The standard ink up boost won't be super beneficial. Maybe a speed up and defense up would be best. We'll have to see once we get into the game and mess around a bit.

redadil4

Inkster Jr.
NNID
leatherbelt
I think it wil be a godsend in Splat Zones, contesting areas and defending from a safe distance.
Yeah, that definitely seems to be the case, I feel like one charged shot and you'll get the zone back.

Flakk

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Magolorthegreat
I always thought the the splat charger would be used a lot in splat zones (as it looks like you'll be defending some pretty small spots so killing is a lot more useful in that mode than covering paint) and probably some other modes too. Also the meta for any mode isn't really developed. People talk about higher ground now but during the testfires i rarely saw people take advantage of those areas and there were many games where tops of things/the tower in saltspray rig weren't even touched so I think as people learn to use high ground to take control of areas the charger will become more useful and the paint roller will become weaker in turf wars. I don't think balance changes should be done until people learn how to play the game and the strengths and weaknesses of weapons.

Also there have only been 2 maps publicly played outside of events such as e3. The whole 2 maps that change every 4 hours system is a pretty big hint that weapons are supposed to be weaker on some maps and stronger on others. And finally, Unless I'm missing something we haven't even seen all of the weapons yet, there's probably a charger designed to cover ground in the game anyway.

Gis4Gamer

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Gis4Gamer
This video highlight something I think is important. The charger is NOT the best weapon for covering turf. However, is IS the best weapon for support. This weapon is great for helping out allies, eliminating threats, and creating paths into enemy territory.

Four of them on one team spell demise. One on a team of four is a blessing.
I once had three splat chargers on one team and we won. Also the enemy team had one of each of the four weapons in the testfire.

Clayton-D

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Clayton-D
I once had three splat chargers on one team and we won. Also the enemy team had one of each of the four weapons in the testfire.
Awesome. Obviously a certain composition doesn't guarantee a win, but I think that it will certainly help after the meta has evolved a little more beyond the testfires.

Citanul

Senior Squid
NNID
outforprophets
The video did highlight some of the issues I was having with the splat charger, in that some shots that look like they should hit/kill end of not. It happened a lot, especially in the beginning of the video, but later it seemed fine except for a few instances. Maybe we'll get better with time because we aren't taking into account paint travel time, even though it's pretty fast.

Or it could just be lag

<π.

Inkling Cadet
NNID
LessThanPiArt
I think the chargers have GREAT ink coverage. they got a lot of distance covered instantly without the commitment or either of the other weapons. You don't need to be on the edge of your territory to have a meaningful effect on your ink coverage.

Bottlecapn

Inkling Commander
NNID
Bottlecapn
I feel like the charger will need a different set of stat boosts than other weapons. The standard ink up boost won't be super beneficial. Maybe a speed up and defense up would be best. We'll have to see once we get into the game and mess around a bit.
...I think you got that backwards. Ink Boost would be very helpful, as you can keep up the long-distance pressure for a longer time. Speed wouldn't matter because you're not going to be moving a lot as a sniper. Defense wouldn't help much either if your teammates are holding the front line.

Clayton-D

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Clayton-D
...I think you got that backwards. Ink Boost would be very helpful, as you can keep up the long-distance pressure for a longer time. Speed wouldn't matter because you're not going to be moving a lot as a sniper. Defense wouldn't help much either if your teammates are holding the front line.
Good points. It will largely depend on play style. I've noticed that chargers that get a lot of kills start to get targeted more, when is where I figured the defense would come in handy. However, if you can stay inconspicuous, then there's no reason to get the defense upgrade.

Endymion

Pro Squid
NNID
Endymion0
I will still try to master the charger over the other weapons first. I love the sniper role in any game.

WaifuRaccoonBL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I never thought it was underpowered, in fact, I practically wrote an essay on how good it was as a support weapon in one of the earlier threads regarding it.

I was even thinking of making a guide, but I'm going to hold off until after the next testfire to confirm some things.

Hi_C

Full Squid
It may not be the best weapon playing solo in Turf War, but in squads playing Turf War it could definitely have its uses. Especially to cover teammates and keep enemies out from a high vantage point.

Perfect Stealth

Inkster Jr.
Exactly the build I would use. Added speed in kid form for strafing and defense boosts to tank some hits.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom