• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

New Splatoon 2 News! 6/12/18 (Octo Expansion a Release Date, New Weapons+Stages)

What announcement did you like the most!

• Total voters

MotorGamer

Inkling Cadet
NNID
MotorGamer
At the end of the World Championship (BTW GGBoyz won if you were wondering) Nogami announced a few things...I will be going overall all of them here!

1.Octo Expansion Release Date
The first thing shown off was the Launch trailer for Octo Expansion, that’s right, the **Launch** trailer. Nothing new was really shown off, but at the end, there was a Release Date! It comes out tomorrow! (June 13th USA, June 14th everywhere else)

2.Octo Expansion Amiibo
Up next right after the trailer there was an announcement about 3 new Octo Expansion themed amiibo. Agent 8 Girl/Boy, and Agent 8 Squid Form. It is unknown yet what these will do, and there is no release date planned except for a prediction of them coming out in 2018. Recent leaks show that it is most likely more clothing items.

3.Continued Support For Splatoon
After that they announced that they will continue support for Splatoon 2, until December 2018. They said new weapons, stages, and other things will be added! No further details on when updates are coming, just they are coming (4.0?)

4.New Weapons+Stages
Ironically, right after they announced that. They showed several screenshots and a video of two new weapons and a cool new Night Culb like stage. The two weapons looked like a new Slosher and Spatling (we were in bad need for some new ones), nothing is known yet about what they do, although it can be assumed that it might have something to do with those weapon leaks with the Slosher code named “Bathtub”. The night club was actually during the night time, it isn’t a possibility that this stage will permanently be a night time stage(although what would happen during a Splatfest?)

Cephalobro

Interesting, but the off course I'm going to vote Octo Expansion Release date as the thing I'm most excited for. When I saw the "Tomorrow" text, I thought I was dreaming for a second. I certainly didn't expect them to release it a month early.

Mar$el

Inkling Commander
Actually, the new map is set in the daytime and is reminiscent of Mahi Mahi Resort. Funny, it was leaked a day before it was announced...
As for my vote: Continued Support.

Enperry

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
ssjplt
Switch Friend Code
SW-0405-1788-8108
Actually, the new map is set in the daytime and is reminiscent of Mahi Mahi Resort. Funny, it was leaked a day before it was announced...
As for my vote: Continued Support.

Links please ;n;

MotorGamer

Inkling Cadet
NNID
MotorGamer
You know, Nintendo always shows off stages with cool trailers and then they turn out to be middle of the road. Like Wahoo World, it looked really fun from the footage, but then we got a copy + Paste of every other stage just with slightly different mechanics. I still love Wahoo, just think their is missed potential.

Flopps

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-3195-9273-4326
I can't wait! I rewatched it, and they specifically said "new" weapons. New variants? If we get 4 weapons per month now, and I assume that's going to continue, that's like 12 new variants with their alternate sets (including Explosher and Ballpoint and the missing variants we still need)!

However, I feel as if Nintendo needs some more creativity with their stages. It feels like most of them are just rip-offs of old stages (Albacore = Mahi, Snapper = Bluefin, Humpback is like Blackbelly, etc.) Some interesting mechanics that I would like to see from these stages would be grind rails instead of ink rails so people can't just back out of an ink rail when they see danger. Also, Rolonium generators would be fun, but maybe a little complicated as people would just camp there.

A different approach would be to refurbish old maps to get new things like how they did with Urchin Underpass in Splatoon 1. They could take some of the hated maps (Moray, Starfish, Humpback, Shellendorf[?]), and add new things to them. I would like to see more movement options for Starfish and Moray, and maybe someways to easily get back into the action without getitng spotted for Humpback and Shellendorf.

Furthermore, when they mean maps, I also hope they give some love for Salmon Run! Having Saltspray Rig return for it would be phenomenal, but I don't know how they would turn it into an interesting map. Adding on, if they were going to update Salmon Run, maybe add some more events and bosses? I would really love to see more events like the Mothership or Griller. New bosses based off of specials like bomb launcher and bubble blower would also add more challenge and variety to the game mode.

Another thing to highlight is the possibility of new gear. Tentacles Helmet is still unreleased, and there seems to be a large lack in styles that Nintendo can use, but we alreayd have so many differnt pieces of gear, and with Murch and SplatNet, abilities don't really matter anymore, so it might not be as likely.

Finally, they said that Octo Expansion would be the first DLC of Splatoon, which implies that there might be more. I don't want to spoil anything, but the ending of Octo Expansion left a few strings hanging that totally could be used for another DLC. But what would be the reward? Playable Octolings were already major enough, so how would Nintendo persuade us to spend probably another $20 on DLC?

Overall, I'm excited on what Nintendo has in store for us, so I hope I didn't set my expectations too high. Feel free to bash me with all my grammar errors as I didn't reread this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom