• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

New Squiffer: Analysis and Thoughts Thread

WaifuRaccoonBL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
New Squiffer

Lv Unlocked:
Lv. 11 + Boss 4

Cost:

Shop Description:
"Sheldon has used the blueprints to adjust the sub and special setup. Trap your opponents in a sticky situation with the sub, or deliver a long-range strike with the special."

Type:
Charger

Stats:
Range: Mid
Charge Speed: High - Mid
Mobility: Mid

Sub:
Ink Mine

Special:
Inkzooka

Genreal Strategies:
-WIP-

Team Strategies:
-WIP-

Success/Tournaments won:
-WIP-

Update: We are now accepting general strategies about this weapon. Please note I'll only add the strategy if I see video evidence or it is generally agreed upon in the thread.

So, with all that out of the way, please discuss your thoughts on the New Squiffer.

Last edited:

TheReflexWonder

Inkster Jr.
NNID
TheReflexWonder
I've only been playing with this fairly recently but I've seen good success with it. In theory, I see Squiffers in general becoming better as the overall level of play gets higher; enough range/power to reasonably threaten the vast majority of weapons in the vast majority of situations, noncommittal in both movement speed and charge time, decent ground coverage, decent ink economy.

It doesn't appear to be necessary to run any specific skills on it, so you can focus where you like. I've been using Run Speed Up to improve maneuverability while charging and Special Charge Up to help that to come into play more often (especially after the Inkzooka nerf). Swim Speed Up is good on basically everything, but I'm trying to get a feel for reliable movement in firefights, and so far the Run+ seems more beneficial when you're trying to pressure and outspace someone at a distance. For all it's worth, it also makes you move faster when dropping an Ink Mine as the New Squiffer, either while moving away or in a strategically advantageous location when you're not being fired upon.

Speaking of Ink Mines, my opinion of them as a sub has increased somewhat with this weapon; I can't say they're versatile, and I can't say that they'll commonly get you kills, but what I can say is that it appears to have good synergy with the Squiffer specifically. The reason this works well with the Ink Mines is that there are many situations where an opponent's flanking can become actively disadvantageous for them without having to expend significant effort (at least, for ~10 seconds at a time, which should be a good while if you're actually looking for people to threaten). If you hear the Ink Mine, you know someone is trying to bother you, so you can switch your focus without getting slammed, otherwise leaving you to do your normal charger thing.

Good placement is key; if they're being efficient with their inking, they'll often shoot beyond just the edge of the opposite color, so placing it somewhere between one-half and two-thirds of the Splattershot's effective range appears to be a sweetspot where they have to respect it instead of swimming past it. Not only can it reliably hold them back from specific positions, but it also does you the favor of inking over the spot again, giving them a need to ink again and absolutely helping you ready and pull off a clean shot. All other weapons with Ink Mines released to date have significant ranges where it's very difficult to do much of anything (Aerospray RG, Luna Blaster, Rapid Blaster, Inkbrush Nouveau), but the New Squiffer can play it like a shotgun or a sniper; it's gonna be a one-shot splat if you land the hit, and it doesn't require your opponent to be in specific spots as the Blasters often do.

HappyBear801

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
HappyBear801
I've only been playing with this fairly recently but I've seen good success with it. In theory, I see Squiffers in general becoming better as the overall level of play gets higher; enough range/power to reasonably threaten the vast majority of weapons in the vast majority of situations, noncommittal in both movement speed and charge time, decent ground coverage, decent ink economy.

It doesn't appear to be necessary to run any specific skills on it, so you can focus where you like. I've been using Run Speed Up to improve maneuverability while charging and Special Charge Up to help that to come into play more often (especially after the Inkzooka nerf). Swim Speed Up is good on basically everything, but I'm trying to get a feel for reliable movement in firefights, and so far the Run+ seems more beneficial when you're trying to pressure and outspace someone at a distance. For all it's worth, it also makes you move faster when dropping an Ink Mine as the New Squiffer, either while moving away or in a strategically advantageous location when you're not being fired upon.

Speaking of Ink Mines, my opinion of them as a sub has increased somewhat with this weapon; I can't say they're versatile, and I can't say that they'll commonly get you kills, but what I can say is that it appears to have good synergy with the Squiffer specifically. The reason this works well with the Ink Mines is that there are many situations where an opponent's flanking can become actively disadvantageous for them without having to expend significant effort (at least, for ~10 seconds at a time, which should be a good while if you're actually looking for people to threaten). If you hear the Ink Mine, you know someone is trying to bother you, so you can switch your focus without getting slammed, otherwise leaving you to do your normal charger thing.

Good placement is key; if they're being efficient with their inking, they'll often shoot beyond just the edge of the opposite color, so placing it somewhere between one-half and two-thirds of the Splattershot's effective range appears to be a sweetspot where they have to respect it instead of swimming past it. Not only can it reliably hold them back from specific positions, but it also does you the favor of inking over the spot again, giving them a need to ink again and absolutely helping you ready and pull off a clean shot. All other weapons with Ink Mines released to date have significant ranges where it's very difficult to do much of anything (Aerospray RG, Luna Blaster, Rapid Blaster, Inkbrush Nouveau), but the New Squiffer can play it like a shotgun or a sniper; it's gonna be a one-shot splat if you land the hit, and it doesn't require your opponent to be in specific spots as the Blasters often do.
Well, since this has Inkzooka, Special Charge Up is pretty necessary.

PK21

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
PuffleKirby21
This thread was created in June and today got its first reply. .-.

HappyBear801

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
HappyBear801
This thread was created in June and today got its first reply. .-.
When this thread was created, there were many more weapon threads to pay attention to. Now, with the new warp thread by @Smoothshake317, we can access these threads at last (including making some threads that were missed by @WaifuRaccoonBL here, which I will do this week).

Inu

Inkling
New Squiffer is definitely superior to Classic for Rain maker. The ability to long range splat a Rainmaker carrier and all 3 of his buddies in one shot is kind of amazing. But this isn't an easy button like Kraken, it requires practice.

Mines specifically good against Rainmaker carriers also since they move slower.

HappyBear801

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
HappyBear801
New Squiffer is definitely superior to Classic for Rain maker. The ability to long range splat a Rainmaker carrier and all 3 of his buddies in one shot is kind of amazing. But this isn't an easy button like Kraken, it requires practice.

Mines specifically good against Rainmaker carriers also since they move slower.
Mines are also really good for Tower defending in TC, and Inkzooka is good for taking the Tower. This is actually a really good balancce TC weapon.

Inu

Inkling
I find this weapon to be particularly inconsistent on splat zones. I switched to the classic and found myself having much better success. But i believe this is heavily dependent on the map in play.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom