• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Splatoon 2 New Tech: Pierce Bursting

Saber

NNID
Saber
Switch Friend Code
SW-0369-4203-0233
So the new Explosher was just released yesterday and in that time we discover a unique trick that can be preformed by this weapon

Due to the weapons ability to pierce through objects and it latent aoe burst the explosher can land 2 hits at the same time dealing 90 damage per swing

This isn't the easiest to land consistently at times but is easier to land when aiming at the enemies feet

Anyways hope you enjoy this

Last edited:

BBGrenorange

Inkling Cadet
I'm confused that just looks like a direct hit from the slosher to me.

And does it really make a difference if it doesn't make the weapon a OHKO?

IHaveAToaster

Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-4526-2274-0616
Due to the weapons ability to pierce through objects and it latent aoe burst the explosher can land 2 hits at the same time dealing 90 damage per swing
I'm not so sure about how useful this would be - as you mentioned, it looks pretty difficult to pull off.

But this is interesting to make note of nonetheless.
Does it really make a difference if it doesn't make the weapon a OHKO?
It makes a 3HKO into a 2HKO: That could be the difference between dying and living/trading kills. It's nothing to scoff at imo.

ThatOneGuy

Inkling Commander
NNID
BattadaBeast
Yeah, I saw this yesterday, and I think it's a really cool thing you can do with it. It looks really scary for any tower rider who gets directed into a splash damage shot.

It's 2 separate damages, the first damage calculation is made when the slosh directs someone, dealing 55 damage. Then, the slosh still goes through the target and bursts on the ground, causing the target to take 35 additional damage. This can also happen at longer ranges / up close.

I think it's going to be the technique that separates good and bad explosher players. Since it can 1 shot enemies that have taken slight damage from your teammates. (could you imagine this thing with damage up in splatoon 1)

And yeah, this is going to be a pretty big thing to pay attention to, just because the explosher player doesn't need 2 directs for every kill. They can afford to get an indirect if they get this "Pierce Slosh" off.

Saber

NNID
Saber
Switch Friend Code
SW-0369-4203-0233

I been testing it and it is actually pretty easy to land on bubblers, this plus object shredder makes it a useful at popping bubbles.
Still trying to figure out how to make it easier to hit consistently in game... I thinking that by leading shot slightly ahead of a player they might land into both hit I let you know how it works

Edit
So after testing it leading your shot has a werid mechanic
While aimin
g from a perch you can lead shots quite effectively and consistently by aiming sightly behind the enemy
Whereas when on even ground if you can be more consistent by leading your shot slightly in front of the enemy (around their knees)
From my trials
it seem to work pretty effectively now

***Use secondary marker to aim it makes it alot easier

Last edited:

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
Example of a big downside to the pierce mechanic is that if you're getting rushdowned your directs won't ever slow anyone down because it's going right through them. Yet you can either aim lower, towards their feet to slow them down and maybe get 90 damage, or perform the melee blaster tech of jumping and aiming down. Which often guarantees 90 damage.

Meanwhile, in tower control, much like how you avoid bomb damage by putting the pole between you and the explosion, the same principle seems to work with the Explosher (and Sloshing Machine). So you either hit them when they're not behind the poll or land your volleys on the other side of the pole.

And unlike in the training room, I'm picking up on visual and audio cues confirming when I landed 90 damage combo.

Saber

NNID
Saber
Switch Friend Code
SW-0369-4203-0233

superlativeb

Inkster Jr.
i only see one taking damage , pierce shot would imply it goes through into other players.

the

Inkling Commander
i only see one taking damage , pierce shot would imply it goes through into other players.
At the end of this video in saber’s last post...

you can see two dummies taking direct-hit damage from one shot! The thing is that this strategy/technique/whatever is taking advantage of the fact that shots travel through opponents AND deal splash damage when they hit the ground.
Attacking multiple enemies with a single slosh is possible with the explosher, but the weapon is so slow that lining them up twice in a row is tricky.
The point of this technique is to do a ton of damage on one target with a single slosh, by lining up a shot to direct-hit someone and then explode right next to them for splash damage. The 55 direct hit damage plus 35 splash damage adds up to 90, which is almost a KO (and possibly is a KO if they are already a bit damaged). This means even splash damage from the next attack will finish them!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom