• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Splatoon 2 New to Splatoon 2... What's the meta like?

lilac_okel

Inkling
Hey there!
I played the original Splatoon a lot a couple years ago, I was S+, using mainly the .52, VERY into the competitive scene and considered myself rather good at the game. I just got a Switch and Splatoon 2 (Splatwoon? Splat2n?) and I want to know what the metagame is like.

What sort of team structure exists in tournament play?
What classes of weapon are currently best (for tournament play and soloQ)?
What weapons in those classes are best (for tournament play and soloQ)?
What abilities are bread and butter/best?

If you could answer any of my questions, then that would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Mar$el

Inkling Commander
While I do think you should explore the game yourself a bit more, I'll give you a better time seeing as you were competitive in S1. I mean really the best way to describe what the top tier meta is is to watch Kiver on twitch he streams scrims pretty often with other top players. There are plenty of other people to watch on twitch as well. The best way to keep up with the scene is through watching streams (of tournaments too like BNS on inkTV at 5PM PST. Super good weekly to follow that gets some top tier NA teams to participate) and keeping up through twitter.

This said, the best way to describe the meta as of now is it's very inkjet-heavy. The meta in this game revolves a lot more around specials than the first game. Also, no team will succeed without a solid backline player these days. Most commonly, a splat charger, or firefin (map/mode dependent), a custom hydra, a heavy or heavy deco, explosher, maybe a rapid pro but eehh. Those are the top tier backlines right now. The flex role is becoming less and less prominent but top tier flex weapons are the custom dualie squelchers, h3d if you can get good at it, rapids, and that's about it. Now the meta for frontliners, and you definitely need strong frontliners or you fail, are mostly inkjet weapons or dualies or both. Top tier slayers include tentatek splattershot (vanilla variant is only viable on like moray bc splashdown is so garbage but the kit fits better there), enperry splat dualies, custom blaster, Tetra dualies, some can use range blaster well enough to be a good slayer with it.

If you really want to be good at solo (a worthless goal seeing as matchmaking is pretty bad), the "soloQ meta" if you will, requires you to be able to hard carry, and this is easiest with slaying weapons like ttek, enperries, custom blaster, etc. You can carry on other weapons obviously but the more backline you are the harder it can be to carry yourself to high X powers.

As for abilities, it really depends on your weapon and role, but most would recommend you run 1-2 subs of special saver and quick super jump and a sub of bomb defense (the sub of bomb defense is really most viable for ink armor comps) regardless. Quick respawn is good for frontliners, not close to viable on other weapons. Really just for frontliners, but mostly for high level play, not soloQ. Stealth jump is highly recommended on most weapons even though it's weaker in S2 (as is QR). Swim speed can be very powerful on just about every weapon (though if you're using a splatling, invest heavily in run speed).

That's about it as far as I'm concerned, but I would highly encourage you to watch streams on twitch and pay attention to everything from weapon comps to playstyles to abilities.

lilac_okel

Inkling
While I do think you should explore the game yourself a bit more, I'll give you a better time seeing as you were competitive in S1. I mean really the best way to describe what the top tier meta is is to watch Kiver on twitch he streams scrims pretty often with other top players. There are plenty of other people to watch on twitch as well. The best way to keep up with the scene is through watching streams (of tournaments too like BNS on inkTV at 5PM PST. Super good weekly to follow that gets some top tier NA teams to participate) and keeping up through twitter.

This said, the best way to describe the meta as of now is it's very inkjet-heavy. The meta in this game revolves a lot more around specials than the first game. Also, no team will succeed without a solid backline player these days. Most commonly, a splat charger, or firefin (map/mode dependent), a custom hydra, a heavy or heavy deco, explosher, maybe a rapid pro but eehh. Those are the top tier backlines right now. The flex role is becoming less and less prominent but top tier flex weapons are the custom dualie squelchers, h3d if you can get good at it, rapids, and that's about it. Now the meta for frontliners, and you definitely need strong frontliners or you fail, are mostly inkjet weapons or dualies or both. Top tier slayers include tentatek splattershot (vanilla variant is only viable on like moray bc splashdown is so garbage but the kit fits better there), enperry splat dualies, custom blaster, Tetra dualies, some can use range blaster well enough to be a good slayer with it.

If you really want to be good at solo (a worthless goal seeing as matchmaking is pretty bad), the "soloQ meta" if you will, requires you to be able to hard carry, and this is easiest with slaying weapons like ttek, enperries, custom blaster, etc. You can carry on other weapons obviously but the more backline you are the harder it can be to carry yourself to high X powers.

As for abilities, it really depends on your weapon and role, but most would recommend you run 1-2 subs of special saver and quick super jump and a sub of bomb defense (the sub of bomb defense is really most viable for ink armor comps) regardless. Quick respawn is good for frontliners, not close to viable on other weapons. Really just for frontliners, but mostly for high level play, not soloQ. Stealth jump is highly recommended on most weapons even though it's weaker in S2 (as is QR). Swim speed can be very powerful on just about every weapon (though if you're using a splatling, invest heavily in run speed).

That's about it as far as I'm concerned, but I would highly encourage you to watch streams on twitch and pay attention to everything from weapon comps to playstyles to abilities.
Thanks very much for this, it's incredibly helpful. Especially thank you for sending links to places where I can find gameplay, those will be invaluable.

BBGrenorange

Inkling Cadet
Ok so the first guy got most of it but I have a few things to add:

1. Quick Respawn + Stealth Jump + Luna blaster is no longer a thing (thank goodness).

2. Damage up and defense up are also gone - this hit chargers pretty hard so they’re not seeing as much play as they did in S1. They seem to be making some kind of a comeback at the moment though :)

3. The Dynamo is now trash

4. The soloQ metas are dominated by the ‘hold ZR to win’ weapons, such as the Rapid and Clash blasters (which are ok to deal with) and the NZap (not ok to deal with)

5. Sloshers are seeing a bit more play now mostly due to some of the wacky map designs (you missed the part where the tri slosher was OP though)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom