• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

New weapon class idea

McSquid82

Semi-Pro Squid
Pronouns
He/him
NNID
Ewel
Switch Friend Code
SW-7398-4915-8969
I've been thinking about this for a while now, and I don't know if it's been brought up yet, but I've thought of a new weapon class like the title says. I know we have brushes, but how about a smaller brush and artist's pallet, like a shield and sword type? Oh and by the way, I'm sure the mods have already noticed, but we have a spammer clogging up the boards with Chinese ads. I think all their topics need to be deleted and the users need to be banned.

The Salamander King

NNID
sintiss0421
Switch Friend Code
SW-3785-4018-5310
I was thinking of "Roller Blades" that were literally small rollers strapped to your feet. Pressing ZR once makes you spin around and holding the button makes you skate forward as if you had ice skates.

McSquid82

Semi-Pro Squid
Pronouns
He/him
NNID
Ewel
Switch Friend Code
SW-7398-4915-8969
I know, but this game has lots of weapon classes that shoot stuff, and considerably less stuff that rolls or brushes. I know this because so far I've bought all the available brushes at the moment and unlocked the Hero Brush replica, and that's it. There are no more. That's why I think the roller and brush family could use another sub-category. And I'm no game designer, but the way I'd make this hypothetical new class different from Brellas is that you can't shoot the pallet like you can with a Brella. Also, it wouldn't shield as big of an area. Another thing is I'd make it like Dualies are up close. Not as strong as a regular brush or roller, but give the brush plenty of ink coverage. But unlike the Dualies, you'd have a defensive option of using the pallet up close, just as long as you don't overuse it, like the Brella. Edit: I was replying to Marfie, but your idea sounds awesome too, Salamander King.

Gameboy224

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Gameboy224
I mean if we're just gonna start a new thread of coming up with weapon ideas...

Cannons (or Mortars)
Generally long ranged charger type weapon that fires high power arc'd projectiles. Similar to Splatlings, they'll have a 2 phase charge, unlike the Splatling, the first Charge is fast the second is slower. First charge determines the power of the shot, second determines the range. The attack functions similar to the Rainmaker, shots will lob and travel at a similar speed, a direct hit will instantly splat. Main difference is instead of the delay explosion, it will explode similar to the Blaster upon hitting a surface doing non-lethal damage.

General weapons in this class.
Splat Cannon - The middle road. First charge speed similar to secondary of Heavy Splatling. Secondary charge similar to Rainmaker.
Leviathan Cannon - The slow charging and higher ranged variant. Explosions have a larger radius.
Party Cannon - The faster but shorter ranged version. Range comparable to the Rapid Blaster Pro. Theme'd after a decorated firework mortar.

Reactions: the

the

Inkling Commander

Cannons (or Mortars)
Generally long ranged charger type weapon that fires high power arc'd projectiles. Similar to Splatlings, they'll have a 2 phase charge, unlike the Splatling, the first Charge is fast the second is slower. First charge determines the power of the shot, second determines the range. The attack functions similar to the Rainmaker, shots will lob and travel at a similar speed, a direct hit will instantly splat. Main difference is instead of the delay explosion, it will explode similar to the Blaster upon hitting a surface doing non-lethal damage.

Splat Cannon - The middle road. First charge speed similar to secondary of Heavy Splatling. Secondary charge similar to Rainmaker.
Leviathan Cannon - The slow charging and higher ranged variant. Explosions have a larger radius.
Party Cannon - The faster but shorter ranged version. Range comparable to the Rapid Blaster Pro. Theme'd after a decorated firework mortar.
Ive actually been thinking of a weapon kinda like this recently! Except mine was based on a T-shirt cannon, haha

Gameboy224

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Gameboy224
I know, but this game has lots of weapon classes that shoot stuff, and considerably less stuff that rolls or brushes. I know this because so far I've bought all the available brushes at the moment and unlocked the Hero Brush replica, and that's it. There are no more. That's why I think the roller and brush family could use another sub-category. And I'm no game designer, but the way I'd make this hypothetical new class different from Brellas is that you can't shoot the pallet like you can with a Brella. Also, it wouldn't shield as big of an area. Another thing is I'd make it like Dualies are up close. Not as strong as a regular brush or roller, but give the brush plenty of ink coverage. But unlike the Dualies, you'd have a defensive option of using the pallet up close, just as long as you don't overuse it, like the Brella. Edit: I was replying to Marfie, but your idea sounds awesome too, Salamander King.
I mean most of the weapons in this game are shooting weapons... because this game is classified and was designed as a "shooter". Given it is a very alternative shooter, but still a shooter. Even melee weapons in this game have ranged elements at play.

I will agree that I feel the Brush category is underutilized. I'm surprised they haven't made a brush with a focus on slow splatting but longer range yet. Or even a short range but fast splatting. As it stands, Octo Brush is the all around weapon and Ink Brush is the mobility driven one.

I don't think they need another sub-category. I just think that the current ones, especially Brushes, could be utilized more. Plus, I don't think we should have two categories of weapons designed with extremely similar defensive aspects, Brella already fill that niche, we don't need it again. That and I think the Pallet & Brush concept wouldn't be too great given practically everything would outrange it significantly.

McSquid82

Semi-Pro Squid
Pronouns
He/him
NNID
Ewel
Switch Friend Code
SW-7398-4915-8969
I mean most of the weapons in this game are shooting weapons... because this game is classified and was designed as a "shooter". Given it is a very alternative shooter, but still a shooter. Even melee weapons in this game have ranged elements at play.

I will agree that I feel the Brush category is underutilized. I'm surprised they haven't made a brush with a focus on slow splatting but longer range yet. Or even a short range but fast splatting. As it stands, Octo Brush is the all around weapon and Ink Brush is the mobility driven one.

I don't think they need another sub-category. I just think that the current ones, especially Brushes, could be utilized more. Plus, I don't think we should have two categories of weapons designed with extremely similar defensive aspects, Brella already fill that niche, we don't need it again. That and I think the Pallet & Brush concept wouldn't be too great given practically everything would outrange it significantly.
I disagree. This series may have started out as a shooter, but it's evolved beyond that. Case in point: rollers, brushes, are in no way, shape are form, any type of shooter weapon. New classes won't hurt anybody, and you can always stick to the existing classes if you don't like it. That's how series evolve and don't start getting stale is by going outside of their comfort zone every once in a while. And also, we have a ton of offensive options. A third defensive class isn't the end of the world. And lastly, if we're being totally honest, you not only disagree with my idea, but you're also coming across as actively hostile to it, too.

Last edited:

Superpudds

Inkling
NNID
Superpudds
For what the game is, I can't imagine another weapon type that would be balanced in the game. If they were to add additional weapon types, I think that it would have to be for a new game mode that sets itself apart from the rest of the game.

The Salamander King

NNID
sintiss0421
Switch Friend Code
SW-3785-4018-5310
I disagree. This series may have started out as a shooter, but it's evolved beyond that. Case in point: rollers, brushes, are in no way, shape are form, any type of shooter weapon. New classes won't hurt anybody, and you can always stick to the existing classes if you don't like it. That's how series evolve and don't start getting stale is by going outside of their comfort zone every once in a while. And also, we have a ton of offensive options. A third defensive class isn't the end of the world. And lastly, if we're being totally honest, you not only disagree with my idea, but you're also coming across as actively hostile to it, too.
You are the only one being hostile.

EDIT: The Brellas aren't defensive. Having a shield is actually a lot more offensive because you can make safer and easier pushes. Defensive weapons are like Heavy or Jet that stay back and paint the map, supporting their teammates with their long range capabilities.

McSquid82

Semi-Pro Squid
Pronouns
He/him
NNID
Ewel
Switch Friend Code
SW-7398-4915-8969
For what the game is, I can't imagine another weapon type that would be balanced in the game. If they were to add additional weapon types, I think that it would have to be for a new game mode that sets itself apart from the rest of the game.
Thank you for responding nicely, and with logic.

Last edited:

Gameboy224

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Gameboy224
I'd argue about Rollers not acting like a shooter, because to a degree they do. Splat Roller being the most basic roller has an attack range similar to most mid tier shooters with their horizontal flick and slightly longer with their vertical flick. This is accentuated with Dynamo Roller which is basically playing an all range game. They play in a sense like slow but wide spreading shotguns.

I bear you no actual hostility. But mind that I am quite a critical person when it comes to evaluating ideas.

I commend the idea, but i just have concerns to the logistical viability of them if they were to come to fruition. Basically, I'm wondering if the idea would be fun or contribute enough.

Last edited:

McSquid82

Semi-Pro Squid
Pronouns
He/him
NNID
Ewel
Switch Friend Code
SW-7398-4915-8969
I'd argue about Rollers not acting like shooter, because to a degree they do. Splat Roller being the most basic roller has an attack range similar to most mid tier shooters with their horizontal flick and slightly longer with their vertical flick. This is accentuated with Dynamo Roller which is basically playing an all range game. They play in a sense like slow but wide spreading shotguns.

I bear you no actual hostility. But mind that I am quite a critical person when it comes.

I commend the idea, but i just have concerns to the logistical viability of them if they were to come to fruition. Basically, I'm wondering if the idea would be fun or contribute enough.
All right, so I could have worded that a little differently. Sorry about that. But I also signed up for Squidboards to talk about my favorite new game and series. And maybe this post would work better in a Splatoon 3 subforum. But seeing as how that game doesn't exist yet, I posted it here. My whole point is, I want more than just getting content ported over from past games. I want new designs, stages and concepts. Whenever Nintendo ends support for this game, it's at least a suggestion.

Last edited:

Superpudds

Inkling
NNID
Superpudds
Thank you for responding nicely, and with logic.
No worries, it is an interesting topic for sure. Especially since there are weapons that I never conceived being in the game originally. The buckets and brushes shocked me when they first came out, so who knows maybe we'll end up with another one that gives us a "why didn't I think of that" moment.

SP3CT3R

Full Squid

Cannons (or Mortars)

You should call it an inkzooka as a homage to the first game

Anyways... I was thinking about a sort of crossbow that fires bolts that ink a path below them as they travel, and stick themselves in the ground and inksplode a second later if they don't hit something. Probably can be charged to do more damage so that it isn't another shooter subclass.
I also like the concept of a vaguely magical trident weapon class or equippable Salmonid frying pans, but I can't think of ideas for either.

The Salamander King

NNID
sintiss0421
Switch Friend Code
SW-3785-4018-5310
What about a weapon that shoots little bubbles that bounce against walls and explode into tiny explosions a few seconds later?
Bubblegun.
Range of Splattershot.
Accuracy of Sploosh
Kills in 20 frames with indirect bubble explosions. 16 for direct hits (requires 3 to kill)
fire rate of .52
Curling Bomb and Bubble Blower.

Flammie

Inkling Cadet
NNID
FlammieLL
I honestly believed the Squisher was gonna be a giant sponge you go around with and Squeeze to turf...
I wish i was right though.

Prince Blake

Inkling
I’ve been having this idea about a weapon that’s called Spladio (splat radio) that sends 2 Hit Kill shockwaves that ink in a way simalar to Splashdown

Prince Blake

Inkling
I’ve been having this idea about a weapon that’s called Spladio (splat radio) that sends 2 Hit Kill shockwaves that ink in a way simalar to Splashdown
I’ve changed it to be a version of a slosher, has a 3 hit kill, fastest slosher in fire rate, renamed Song Slosher, and it now has a loud out- Sub: Toxic Mist Special:Ink Armour

Enperry

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
ssjplt
Switch Friend Code
SW-0405-1788-8108

Cannons (or Mortars)

I had this idea, but for the Super Scope.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom