• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

new weapon conundrum

G

girigiriHERO

I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this.

I've been playing Splatoon since day one, my favourite weapons are the Octobrush, Brush, Tri-Slosher, Splattershot, and Splattershot Pro, as I learned these for the most part early in the games life (with exception to the SSP). I feel now it's nearly impossible to learn a new weapon in Turf Wars, and most people are too afraid to do so in Ranked, mainly because Turf Wars is HARDER than Ranked, and I'm an S rank player myself.

So while I wanted to learn Chargers, my only choice was to make an alt. account after hitting level 10, sticking solely to Ranked and nothing else. I'm doing very well and I can see myself improving already even though I'm only level 12 C+.

TLDR, do you feel the only way to really learn a weapon (in a casual slow paced environment) is through an alt. account via Ranked? If I tried to pick up a Charger on my primary account and went in to Turf Wars or Ranked I guarantee I'd be obliterated and it'd slowly kill my confidence and drive to learn a new weapon.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
You're S rank, I think you'd be able to adjust even with an unfamiliar weapon. Learning the in-and-outs of something new doesn't negate your previous skill and knowledge. Use an alt, sure, but I recommend throwing yourself into the trial-by-fire playing against people of your own skill level at least now and then.

Green Waffles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I will share a video I watched back from my days of when I smacked my face against my keyboard whenever I tried to play a certain game in ranked mode

Somewhat trite advice, I know, but it is trite for a reason.

Moving on to more practical advice.

You can try to duo squad with a C ranked person =P
Sure the game might pair you against S+ opponents for 30% of the time, but the rest of the time you get paired with B ranks, other S-C duos, or C-B smurfs, most of whom, I'm willing to bet based on my experiences, are playing it pretty dang casual. The 3 times I've attempted squib pwaughty in these duos were all massive successes after all =] (one was Hawaiian themed!)

G

girigiriHERO

You're S rank, I think you'd be able to adjust even with an unfamiliar weapon. Learning the in-and-outs of something new doesn't negate your previous skill and knowledge. Use an alt, sure, but I recommend throwing yourself into the trial-by-fire playing against people of your own skill level at least now and then.
I'd say that true with nearly every weapon except Chargers, I've tried before on my main and never even got a kill some rounds. I'd far prefer to level up in Ranked from the bottom until I get on a level playing field with other players.

Captain Woomy

Woomy Enthusiast
I feel now it's nearly impossible to learn a new weapon in Turf Wars, and most people are too afraid to do so in Ranked, mainly because Turf Wars is HARDER than Ranked, and I'm an S rank player myself.
You think turf wars are harder than ranked? Interesting. I've always loved and preferred turf wars for learning new weapons since there's no consequences for losing, but in the end I guess it's best to start practicing in whatever mode you're most comfortable with. As for using an alt to learn new weapons, I don't think you should. If you're using a new weapon against a bunch of less experienced players, there's really no telling how much progress you're actually making with it.

G

girigiriHERO

You think turf wars are harder than ranked? Interesting. I've always loved and preferred turf wars for learning new weapons since there's no consequences for losing, but in the end I guess it's best to start practicing in whatever mode you're most comfortable with. As for using an alt to learn new weapons, I don't think you should. If you're using a new weapon against a bunch of less experienced players, there's really no telling how much progress you're actually making with it.
Turf War players nowdays are all S+ players that are bored with Ranked, at least from what I can tell.

It's pretty clear to see if you're getting used to snapping with a Charger, and slower (new players) are easier to start with. I'm currently B-, so I'm sure once I get to A I'll probably start to get a lot more challenge on only then can I hone my skills.

As for my main, I'd feel guilty for all the S rank players I'm letting down and killing their rank by losing because I want to use a new weapon.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Why feel guilty? You're still trying your hardest, you're not squid partying or anything :P

Captain Woomy

Woomy Enthusiast
As for my main, I'd feel guilty for all the S rank players I'm letting down and killing their rank by losing because I want to use a new weapon.
That's understandable. But if you're S rank on your main, then why not find another S or S+ player to squad with? Or get three other S or S+ players to ensure that you don't get paired up with anyone below S? That way you don't have to feel like you're letting anyone on your team down and you can practice with others around your skill level without ranking anyone down.

G

girigiriHERO

That's understandable. But if you're S rank on your main, then why not find another S or S+ player to squad with? Or get three other S or S+ players to ensure that you don't get paired up with anyone below S? That way you don't have to feel like you're letting anyone on your team down and you can practice with others around your skill level without ranking anyone down.
I only play with my big bro and he's A rank, I've never been big in to online gaming aside from this, MK8, and Soul Calibur V, so I have no S ranks to squad with.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
I only play with my big bro and he's A rank, I've never been big in to online gaming aside from this, MK8, and Soul Calibur V, so I have no S ranks to squad with.
You could always ask :P

G

girigiriHERO

You could always ask :p
I know people here are more than willing, but if I'm not playing with my bro it's usually like midnight PST and for squads I need to be in contact with the other person to be able to join each other :/ So I feel like a bit of a burden

Maave

Inkling Commander
My technique for learning chargers was to power through it. Can't say I recommend it ... I went though A+/S hell all over again and dropped to A- at one point, but it worked.

Now I know the general groups of shooters, rollers, and chargers. So learning new ones is less frustrating. Whenever I rank down I'll goof around with new weapons. One rank down is forgiving enough to learning new weapons. Biggest thing is to learn the levels with that weapon, recon will get me 50% and the first few games will get me the other 50%. Prepare to lose and focus on learning. Doesn't matter if I've played it a thousand times, a new weapon almost always requires a new strategy.
And If I'm getting salty from a losing streak I'll switch to a weapon I like for a while.

G

girigiriHERO

My technique for learning chargers was to power through it. Can't say I recommend it ... I went though A+/S hell all over again and dropped to A- at one point, but it worked.

Now I know the general groups of shooters, rollers, and chargers. So learning new ones is less frustrating. Whenever I rank down I'll goof around with new weapons. One rank down is forgiving enough to learning new weapons. Biggest thing is to learn the levels with that weapon, recon will get me 50% and the first few games will get me the other 50%. Prepare to lose and focus on learning. Doesn't matter if I've played it a thousand times, a new weapon almost always requires a new strategy.
And If I'm getting salty from a losing streak I'll switch to a weapon I like for a while.
While I'm definitely no DUDE, it was inspired by his "Charge to S+99" YouTube series he was doing. I'll admit, watching some C players in general is amusing itself. One time while playing Port in SZ I swear my team was completely unaware there are 2 SZ they need to cover as I was the only one in the other teams area.

Aori

Don't get Cooked!
> turf wars is harder than ranked

Confusing considering Ranked is the more "Hardcore" play to win mode. Turf wars is for fun and just covering ground, So I mess around and just learn new weapons over time or use the ones I get a good feel for.

G

girigiriHERO

> turf wars is harder than ranked

Confusing considering Ranked is the more "Hardcore" play to win mode. Turf wars is for fun and just covering ground, So I mess around and just learn new weapons over time or use the ones I get a good feel for.
Turf War is much different now from what it was

Aori

Don't get Cooked!
Turf War is much different now from what it was
It's still equally laid back and fun. The time I spent playing I saw nobody that was hardcore or focusing on killing as much as I did in the past. If anything, it seems people are calming down and not treating turf like ranked.

I'm just speaking from my experience. It's probably different from everyone, but I don't really see a difference in difficulty either other than if you do good you get sea snails now. I avoid ranked because it's stressful for me, and I guarantee you it always will be. There is no way that Turf Wars will ever be "harder than ranked" in my eyes.

ThatOneGuy

Inkling Commander
NNID
BattadaBeast
Personally, I hate turf wars. I hate it. It's just too forgiving for mistakes, and it rewards the same amount of points for a random un-occupied corner, as it does for a highly-contested area of the same amount of space. Another thing turf war does is that it rewards players for running away and just covering the map, as opposed to actually fighting off some squids that need to be taught a lesson.

On a personal scale, I hate turf wars today because of a problem you have @girigiriHERO, I always face up with sweaty S+ players, (but to be fair I am a sweaty S+ player.) But the thing that drives me insane in turf wars is that I only meet chargers on my team, and with me also using a charger it sucks to have two weapons that are bad at inking, I've had matches with 4 chargers on the same team, while the other had a variety of weapons.

I recently have started an alt for using the custom hydra, and I found a lot more success than I did learning it in turf wars. I made it all the way up to S rank in less than 18 hours of gameplay easily, (mostly because I somewhat understand the game), but a key contributor to my success was me learning how to use the weapon gradually throughout the ranks, and learning how to use the weapon correctly was a test from rank to rank, and not just sheer luck on my end. Therefore I think playing and using an alt is a great way to learn how to use a new weapon, especially one you're unfamiliar with. And you shouldn't feel ashamed of wrecking scrubs, because you're just testing your skill level in that weapon, and if you're destroying lobbies at that rank, that means you are qualified for a better rank with that weapon.

Hope this helped your decision, I just based it off of my personal experience, and I hope you receive a similar experience. ;)

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Personally, I hate turf wars. I hate it. It's just too forgiving for mistakes, and it rewards the same amount of points for a random un-occupied corner, as it does for a highly-contested area of the same amount of space. Another thing turf war does is that it rewards players for running away and just covering the map, as opposed to actually fighting off some squids that need to be taught a lesson.

On a personal scale, I hate turf wars today because of a problem you have @girigiriHERO, I always face up with sweaty S+ players, (but to be fair I am a sweaty S+ player.) But the thing that drives me insane in turf wars is that I only meet chargers on my team, and with me also using a charger it sucks to have two weapons that are bad at inking, I've had matches with 4 chargers on the same team, while the other had a variety of weapons.

I recently have started an alt for using the custom hydra, and I found a lot more success than I did learning it in turf wars. I made it all the way up to S rank in less than 18 hours of gameplay easily, (mostly because I somewhat understand the game), but a key contributor to my success was me learning how to use the weapon gradually throughout the ranks, and learning how to use the weapon correctly was a test from rank to rank, and not just sheer luck on my end. Therefore I think playing and using an alt is a great way to learn how to use a new weapon, especially one you're unfamiliar with. And you shouldn't feel ashamed of wrecking scrubs, because you're just testing your skill level in that weapon, and if you're destroying lobbies at that rank, that means you are qualified for a better rank with that weapon.

Hope this helped your decision, I just based it off of my personal experience, and I hope you receive a similar experience. ;)
Forgiving of mistakes? Rewards for not fighting? Unironic use of the word "scrub"? You are some kind of serious glory hound, huh? :P

On another note, all charger teams aren't exclusive to turf. I've encountered that misery plenty of times in ranked. You can, you know, use a weapon that's less damaging to team balance if it becomes an issue.

G

girigiriHERO

in case anyone is wondering I'm working my way through B- and surprisingly no B hell. My teams are doing fairly well, my kill count has dropped of course but I'm still managing over 5 per match.

ThatOneGuy

Inkling Commander
NNID
BattadaBeast
On another note, all charger teams aren't exclusive to turf. I've encountered that misery plenty of times in ranked. You can, you know, use a weapon that's less damaging to team balance if it becomes an issue.
Yeah, there is a chance that you will have a 4 charger team in ranked. It's unlikely though, because weapons are being held into account when matchmaking in ranked these days. Meanwhile turf wars has the same old matchmaking that can make a game terrible if it's against your favor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom