• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

New Weapons v. Old Playstyles!

OmegaDivider

Squid Sisters Fanboy
NNID
OmegaDivider
Howdy folks,

Now, I don't know much at all about the new weapons and what not, but the duelies caught my attention. Mainly used the Inkbrush back in vanilla and I can only imagine how many people will be jumping on them.

I'm going to push and theorize here that these things are going to hard counter anything that likes to get up close and personal; Inkbrushes and Rollers specifically though. Perhaps things like the Jr. to a lesser extent.
I missed my chance to use them (they were in the first testfire, correct?) so I'm not certain as to how powerful the rolling mechanic is, but I've just been thinking on that in my spare time.

How about the rest of ya'll? Do you think any of the new, flashy stuff is going to really push your old playstyle to change/adapt?

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Using the dodge rolls offensively is going to be a high-risk, high-reward scenario in my eyes. You can use them to zip past enemy fire, sure, but you're unable to move for a moment after rolling (longer if you use both) and if you whiff your own shots this will be easily punished. It might become a scenario like Ninjara's air-dash teleport in ARMS, where the tool is legitimately useful but newbies spam it to the point of predictability. Also, inkbrushes have a wider range than dualies, and rollers need only slam down, so in those scenarios it'll be like other short range shooters vs. rollers/brushes in that it comes down to who gets the jump on who.

I'm a mid to long-range gunman, so I doubt my playstyle's gonna change much :P

OmegaDivider

Squid Sisters Fanboy
NNID
OmegaDivider
Interesting!
Is the dodge roll just a straight dodge roll, or does it give invincibility frames at some point? If the latter, I wonder if it'd be possible to just roll through the other player and recover, then punish them before they can turn.

Or we have collision. I never directly ran into someone at any point ever so I have no clue lol.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Interesting!
Is the dodge roll just a straight dodge roll, or does it give invincibility frames at some point? If the latter, I wonder if it'd be possible to just roll through the other player and recover, then punish them before they can turn.

Or we have collision. I never directly ran into someone at any point ever so I have no clue lol.
I don't THINK it has invincibility frames, if just because pretty much nothing else does anymore. Feel free to correct me on that. And yeah, collision is a thing in this game, hasn't come up too often but it could be a minor issue for dualie players.

OmegaDivider

Squid Sisters Fanboy
NNID
OmegaDivider
Sounds like some testing will need to be done, just in case! Thanks for the info though. I can at least prep accordingly.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
No problem! I figure if Splashdown users can be shot out of their big kaboom, dodge rollers are likely to be vulnerable as well :P

Fluddinator

Pro Squid
I don't THINK it has invincibility frames, if just because pretty much nothing else does anymore. Feel free to correct me on that. And yeah, collision is a thing in this game, hasn't come up too often but it could be a minor issue for dualie players.
If the Dualie player is stuck in a narrow path, where the only rolls would be forward and backwards... I don't think such player would get far, if put against a long-ranged weapon in such situation!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom