• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

Splatoon 2 Newbie Inkcoming. Any tips?

CluelessCat

Inkling
NNID
Ducky1230
Switch Friend Code
SW-7628-1835-9291
Hey! I'm new to the competitive Splatoon scene, so I was wondering if anyone had any tips? Like how to get started and all that! :3

MotorGamer

Inkling Cadet
NNID
MotorGamer
Hey! I'm new to the competitive Splatoon scene, so I was wondering if anyone had any tips? Like how to get started and all that! :3
I am not officially competitive. But I still have clocked in a time in this game well over triple digits, so I think I am at least partially allowed to share "competitive" tips. Although if you want better tips go to people who are actually in teams and play in Squads 24/7.
Tips:
1.Find a team that meshes well with tour playstyle. You don't want everyone to be on offense, or everone on support. Try to find a team who needs your sort of players.
2.Find some mains. Once you dwell comfortable with a weapon try to find a play style for that weapon. Then just practice with it a lot.
3.Just play! Just play more and more and get better and better!

AC1

Inkster Jr.
Some weapons are more suitable than other weapons depending on the rank mode and map.

Mar$el

Inkling Commander
Just curious, exactly how new to the game are you? Did you recently purchase the game or have you been playing, and now you're looking into getting more serious? What weapons do you play? What ranks are you? What king of playstyle do you have (as best you can guess)? If you could delve a bit into the specifics of your gameplay then the people here can give all sorts of advice (as seen in the surplus of other threads you should check out) on how to improve your game. If you're totally new to the game I wouldn't recommend searching for a team, rather just keeping on playing to improve. If you're already at or above A rank that's a fine time to look for some folks to play with. But I can't really offer any worthwhile advice until I know more about your gameplay other than use the firing range and practice your aim. It's not a waste of time.

CluelessCat

Inkling
NNID
Ducky1230
Switch Friend Code
SW-7628-1835-9291
@Mar$el Heya! I've had the game ever since Christmas and have been playing every day since then! I just started taking Ranked more seriously a couple months ago but haven't really dived in fully. I'm A and B in all my ranks though! I like to play aggressively but I can also defend. Hope I got everything >_>

Mar$el

Inkling Commander
@Mar$el Heya! I've had the game ever since Christmas and have been playing every day since then! I just started taking Ranked more seriously a couple months ago but haven't really dived in fully. I'm A and B in all my ranks though! I like to play aggressively but I can also defend. Hope I got everything >_>
Okay awesome! Do you have any weapons that you prefer to use a lot of the time? What abilities do you use for those weapons if you've thought about it? As for aggressive play, you really have to be able to snap onto targets pretty fast with good reaction time, so a drill I like to do in the firing range is just going into the midst of the moving dummies and just taking X weapon (maybe a splattershot or blaster or a squiffer, etc.) and just shooting those targets for quite a while. At first I start of at a good pace and then pick up speed snapping onto targets and when I'm consistently fast/accurate I know I'm gonna have a good time in ranked knowing I will have good aim. Another important thing about aggressive play is that your movement can't be too predictable in that you shouldn't charge at people in a straight line (keeping in mind the line doesn't just have to be directly at them. If you're moving in a straight line in a different direction you're still an easy target). This one's a little tougher to work on, and I'm trying to master it myself. Honestly I don't know how to work on this other than just remembering to focus extra hard when taking on a 1v1. One last thing, assuming you use a shooter (still applies to other slaying weapons like roller, slosher and blaster), is to never just hold ZR and walk forward. I mean it's fine to do it for a short while on a shooter, but it makes you super vulnerable and slow. With blaster holding ZR is forbidden. Never do it. Shoot, swim to re-position, shoot, swim, etc. With a roller you're better off flicking than trying to roll over people. With a slosher it's sort of the same as a shooter. Just spamming ZR gives you less control over your character when you need to move. You move super slow and it's hard to adjust to do what's needed to win a 1v1 (which differs in every encounter). But if you use a specific weapon(s) then you should share (along with abilities) so that people can help you out further towards your specific needs.

CluelessCat

Inkling
NNID
Ducky1230
Switch Friend Code
SW-7628-1835-9291
@Mar$el Oh wow thanks for all the tips already! It's a big help! If you're still interested I use (in order of most used) the Lunar Blaster, Octobrush, and I'm starting to learn how to use the Custom Jet Squelcher. As for abilities right now I'm trying to make my first Lunar Blaster build(Here it is if you're interested https://loadout.ink/en-us/#0000000842100a0c6300294a5 )! As for the other weapons I'm not really sure. Abilities are the main thing I'm trying to understand right now and it's a bit hard to figure out what goes with what. >_>

Enperry

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
ssjplt
Switch Friend Code
SW-0405-1788-8108
As for aggressive play, you really have to be able to snap onto targets pretty fast with good reaction time, so a drill I like to do in the firing range is just going into the midst of the moving dummies and just taking X weapon (maybe a splattershot or blaster or a squiffer, etc.) and just shooting those targets for quite a while. At first I start of at a good pace and then pick up speed snapping onto targets and when I'm consistently fast/accurate I know I'm gonna have a good time in ranked knowing I will have good aim. Another important thing about aggressive play is that your movement can't be too predictable in that you shouldn't charge at people in a straight line (keeping in mind the line doesn't just have to be directly at them. If you're moving in a straight line in a different direction you're still an easy target). This one's a little tougher to work on, and I'm trying to master it myself. Honestly I don't know how to work on this other than just remembering to focus extra hard when taking on a 1v1. One last thing, assuming you use a shooter (still applies to other slaying weapons like roller, slosher and blaster), is to never just hold ZR and walk forward. I mean it's fine to do it for a short while on a shooter, but it makes you super vulnerable and slow. With blaster holding ZR is forbidden. Never do it. Shoot, swim to re-position, shoot, swim, etc. With a roller you're better off flicking than trying to roll over people. With a slosher it's sort of the same as a shooter. Just spamming ZR gives you less control over your character when you need to move. You move super slow and it's hard to adjust to do what's needed to win a 1v1 (which differs in every encounter). But if you use a specific weapon(s) then you should share (along with abilities) so that people can help you out further towards your specific needs.
Expanding on what Mar$el said, jumping and moving while shooting, and standing on higher ground will give a better chance at beating a mirror (same weapon as yours) player.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom