• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

Ninjala

SacredWarrior

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
SacredWarrior88
Switch Friend Code
SW-5006-3355-6621
Since a lot of people are comparing this game to Splatoon, I figured I might as well post a thread about it here :) It's free to play and it came out not too long ago actually! It's a battle royale kind of game and it's quite a lot of fun although it does take a while to get used to the controls and mechanics :( Definitely download it when you get a chance!

banyochan

Semi-Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-6259-3813-8693
I've just played the game for a bit, and I have to say that the parrying mechanic kind of ruins the game, as it's basically random chance (unless the other person doesn't understand it and sides always win over them). Right now, with the way most people are playing, it feels like a button mashing game rather than something more involved. Also, the fact that seemingly the only way to get clothes is with microtransactions (and even gacha mechanics if you are feeling like it) kind of ruins the game for me. Give everyone a free trial period and then charge full price for this game instead. I might buy the single player campaign, as it's somewhat cheap right now.

SacredWarrior

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
SacredWarrior88
Switch Friend Code
SW-5006-3355-6621
I've just played the game for a bit, and I have to say that the parrying mechanic kind of ruins the game, as it's basically random chance (unless the other person doesn't understand it and sides always win over them). Right now, with the way most people are playing, it feels like a button mashing game rather than something more involved. Also, the fact that seemingly the only way to get clothes is with microtransactions (and even gacha mechanics if you are feeling like it) kind of ruins the game for me. Give everyone a free trial period and then charge full price for this game instead. I might buy the single player campaign, as it's somewhat cheap right now.
The parrying system has a Rock, Paper, Scissors kind of mechanic that most players don't know about. And you're right about the game feeling like a button masher. Plus the controls aren't explained properly in a way that most players would understand nor is there a proper tutorial mode -_- As for the microtransactions, clothes don't affect gameplay in any way so they're not really that important

banyochan

Semi-Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-6259-3813-8693
The parrying system has a Rock, Paper, Scissors kind of mechanic that most players don't know about. And you're right about the game feeling like a button masher. Plus the controls aren't explained properly in a way that most players would understand nor is there a proper tutorial mode -_- As for the microtransactions, clothes don't affect gameplay in any way so they're not really that important
I know that parrying is a RPS mechanic, but it's ruined by people not understanding it, and even at a high level it boils down to random chance.

As for clothing, it's one of these things I really enjoy in games and it sucks that I either have to buy into their game (possibly even with gacha mechanics) to do something I don't need to pay for in games from Nintendo.

banyochan

Semi-Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-6259-3813-8693
It's also mentioning that the camera in this game is one of the worst I've ever dealt with. Whenever you lock onto something or do anything else that shifts the camera, it will stick there and not return to the position that makes sense. This makes playing the game extremely confusing, and you need to constantly reset the camera if you play with gyro controls like I do. This reaches the level of actually giving you a disadvantage. If someone knocks you away and you fall, resetting the camera will point it away from the opponent, meaning you have to take your sweet time turning around, giving the enemy time to gain even more advantage over you.

The announcer is extremely annoying (both in the way he sounds and what he's saying), I don't care how great the next track is, or whether something popped up on the monitor in WMA, none of these are relevant to the game.

The lock on system is pretty bad too, as it doesn't give you much in the way of selecting a target, and sometimes it can select something at a seemingly random angle rather than what you're looking at, causing you to take a sharp turn to approach something you weren't interested in at all. This means that picking the right target in a crowd of enemies to have a chance to win a fight is down to luck.

It also seems that the game handles latency in a pretty nasty way, making things extremely confusing when someone is lagging, animations end and you're stuck there unable to do anything, and then you randomly teleport and perform the action you were supposed to do a couple of seconds ago. I guess this is what I get for living in Europe, far away from people I probably end up playing with.

Having 2 maps, one of which has no design to speak of (WNA Academy) isn't fun either, especially if you look for a match on the other map, and you get sent to WNA again, which removes any strategy from the game.

I think this game needed more time spent in QA, and more time put into designing the mechanics of it. A proper tutorial to explain how the game works to players would improve the game a lot as well, as most haven't bothered to read how parrying works. Right now playing the game means putting up with camera that actively gets in the way (and I'm battle hardened with early 3D games with really bad cameras, this one takes things to a new level), mechanics that despite intended depth are actually just random button mashing and luck. The interface is pretty janky too (you have to wait for the battle rewards to pop up and dismiss them before being able to continue, and it feels like they wait for you to press some button to reveal itself, and then they make you wait for a couple of seconds before you can dismiss the dialog). The main menu is basically guessing before you figure out what all icons mean. Relying on the web browser for the whole tutorial funnel and showing youtube videos that require a couple repeated button presses to close doesn't feel professional too.

Frame drops in the dojo (when waiting for a match) and during the opening of a match don't feel too good either, and the game seems to be quite fond of dropping frames at random, even looking around can cause the game to stutter a bit, something I thought wouldn't happen in an online game that targets 60FPS. If there's any DRS, it's extremely light (I've seen things that look like extremely brief resolution drops in seemingly random spots). Proper DRS could help this game run much better.

Also, the fact that this game is punishing you for viewing the home button for any period of time isn't fun either, the only purpose it serves is a quick way to leave a lobby or something, with an annoying dialog that pops up every time.

Right now, the best way to go about this game is to ignore it for a while so developers can iron some of these problems out (UX stuff, bad tutorial, performance issues, and maybe a better way to handle latency). Even though the game came out, it feels like a rough prototype in action, even if everything else seems to be polished up to a state where it's presentable.

Agent:2200

Inkling
NNID
Leo-kun
Switch Friend Code
SW-7329-7696-8580
This is a rip off, what the vemo were Nintendo thinking, publishing this vemo. Exited my language. And they even added humans to tease is

banyochan

Semi-Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-6259-3813-8693
It's also worth noting that this game suffers from the ARMS syndrome, the combat system makes no sense once more than 2 people are fighting together, and once you couple it with broken lock-on system, you have a disaster on a level that doesn't occur often.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom