• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

Nintendo Dream Interviews Splatoon Developers

Hey squids and kids! Need the freshest information on Splatoon? Japanese magazine Nintendo Dream managed to snag an interview with Splatoon directors Yusuke Amano and Tsubasa Sakaguchi and producer Hisashi Nogami to chat on their recent game.

One of the first things discussed was matchmaking in Splatoon which is done in a very unique way. According to Amano it actually pairs up players with similar play-styles where levels are more of “an indicator for how long the person has played the game.” He noted that those who tend to splat enemies are likely to play together, while those who focus more on painting are more likely to be paired up. He also commented on why there were only two maps rotated every four hours:

"I think if maps were selected at random from all the possibilities, everyone would only use weapons that have “the greatest common divisor” and that work the same way in every map. But when maps are limited to two, you can have alternative weapon choices like “I’ll go with a charger for these two maps”. If there are more than three stages, all-rounder weapons become popular." - Yusuke Amano

One of the most exciting parts about Splatoon has been its constant stream of fresh content. Nogami said "There is still more to be done to maintain customers’ interest and to prevent them from getting tired [of the game]."

Even though the game is launched development for the title is not yet over either. "We wanted to pile up content with updates from the start." Nogami said. "We prepared some amount [of content] according to our expectations, but as we saw actual reactions [from players], we’re going to make some revisions." Amano also commented "We’re thankful that everyone has leveled up faster than we expected and played the game immensely. If we’re going to pile up [content], we’re going to do it with an aggressive approach."

Hopefully this information has that curiosity peaked! Be sure to leave us some comments on this interview below, and be sure to keep staying fresh!

Comments

Great call on the map rotations. All-rounder weapons are already popular. Imagine what it would be like if maps were completely random.

The matchmaking tidbit is interesting. Still doesn't explain why there's no regional matchmaking though.

And while the idea behind the map rotation is noble, it seems like people still only play one or two weapons and don't change based on the map rotation (obviously this is just anectodal evidence based on my how my friends and I treat weapon switching and that over-all weapon usage does not seem to change based on what maps are on, I don't have actual data to back this up). I don't know if it is worthwhile to trade the possibility of players maybe changing weapons being able to play more than 2 maps for four hours

lol but personally I like that people have to back out of those lobbies, then there is a higher chance of people to leave. If you didn't have to leave and you have a friend in a lobby, you might have to wait for more matches to pass since no one has to leave.
edit: But I also do like their reasoning.
And did anyone else notice that the developer said "more than 3"? Yep we are eventually going to have 3 in the rotation when more maps are released. Plus when you go to "lobby" and check the maps, there is an empty space that would fit a third map

edit: But I also do like their reasoning.
And did anyone else notice that the developer said "more than 3"? Yep we are eventually going to have 3 in the rotation when more maps are released. Plus when you go to "lobby" and check the maps, there is an empty space that would fit a third map
I was thinking something like this was going to happen. It's like 8 player Smash. There was room for multiple characters in the stage selection on the top left corner of the screen.

This pairing up system and rotation system still seems a bit fishy to me.

I haven't starting splatting as of late due to the paintbrush but people still want to splat me.

BTW, this is totally unrelevant to this topic, but something DISTURBING has being found in Splatoon after you beat the final boss a second time! It sounds like trains crashing and children screaming for help. Here's the link for anyone who is interested.

Contains SPOILERS and Nightmare Fuel.

That's totally unrelevant. I think it's a lot better is you made your own thread or post this in an existing relevant one.

"We’re thankful that everyone has leveled up faster than we expected and played the game immensely. If we’re going to pile up [content], we’re going to do it with an aggressive approach."​

That's what I like to hear! More content!! 8D
Can't wait to see everything that this game offers, and hopefully the community continues to expand. Cheers!​

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom