• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

Nintendo online membership is ruining splatoon 2 multiplayer

Coolkid

Inkling Cadet
yeah it's the truth! these disconnects thast happen in almost each match now..come on! these paid online is supposed to improve things or at least let things stay as they are..but all i am seeing disconnects disconnects and disconnects and ironic mostly in my team..if this is not improving i will be 1 of those people really losing interest in playing this game online until it's fixed cause i had it with these damned disconnect..nintendo time to fix your ****,you already get extra money so do something with it like maybe fixing those damn servers of yours? cause it used not to be this bad -.- sorry for me ranting/venting or whatever you wanna call it,if i pay to play online i want to actually enjoy it and have FOUR vs FOUR matches

i saw some of you guys have this problem as well..how can you guys stay so calm about it? nintendo has made a mess and they do NOTHING about it.

Last edited:

DJ Particle

Senior Squid
NNID
DJParticle
Switch Friend Code
SW-0728-9987-8856
Such is the nature of the P2P system. If a player's internet connection is weak, they will disconnect. It's not Nintendo dropping it, it's the player's ISP. It would happen if there were dedicated servers, too. There's nothing Nintendo can do about it.

MINKUKEL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
There's no 'servers'. It's P2P.

All that has changed is that people now have to pay. I see no reason to believe people's recent issues (which I have had NONE of, mind you), have anything to do with NSO. It's probably just a temporary hiccup for whatever reason. If it's even that, because I feel people are just seeing things.

Coolkid

Inkling Cadet
There's no 'servers'. It's P2P.

All that has changed is that people now have to pay. I see no reason to believe people's recent issues (which I have had NONE of, mind you), have anything to do with NSO. It's probably just a temporary hiccup for whatever reason. If it's even that, because I feel people are just seeing things.
there are really alot more disconnects then before,it used to just be 1 disconnect in one team in some matches but yesterday it was even worse! often there were 2 disconnects in a team and this used to be a veeeery rare thing to happen ..i think 3 matches that i won were due to the enemy having 2 disconnects,while other matches were just 1 or none,but what i also notice all of a sudden is japanese players..i never ever seen them in my lobby but now i see 1 to 3 in some matches i had..i get the feeling since the game can't find enough players sometimes,that they will even look in japan for them now o.o

ThatSquidYouKnow

Inkling Commander
NNID
link12014
Switch Friend Code
SW-0194-3194-0146
there are really alot more disconnects then before,it used to just be 1 disconnect in one team in some matches but yesterday it was even worse! often there were 2 disconnects in a team and this used to be a veeeery rare thing to happen ..i think 3 matches that i won were due to the enemy having 2 disconnects,while other matches were just 1 or none,but what i also notice all of a sudden is japanese players..i never ever seen them in my lobby but now i see 1 to 3 in some matches i had..i get the feeling since the game can't find enough players sometimes,that they will even look in japan for them now o.o
connection didnt get worse now we’re just paying for the same garbage

Chaos_Knight

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Cha0sKnight
If there was an offline vs CPU mode, this wouldn't be much of a problem.

MINKUKEL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
There have always been players with Japanese names. Ever since day one.
That doesn't even mean anything, as anyone can use any characters in their name. It's not like 90% of people suddenly stopped playing the game. Again, Splatoon 1 is still being played and that sold way less, is 3 years old by now and is on the Wii U of all systems.

SmokyWreck

A captain of the darkness.
Paying to play only assure that the servers will stay online even when the switch die off. This is why many old PlayStation and Xbox online communauty still exist and can play their favourite game despite the console being outdated and the game being outdated. This is simply a way to ensure that we'll be able to keep playing online once the console stop being relevant and nintendo move on. Plus, I don't get disconnect as much as I used to now that the online is paid. I used to have wonky connection with nintendo, but now it's not a problem anymore and I love the advantage it gives. I wish that online game data could be saved however, it'd suck to start over. But I also understand why they'd want to prevent possible cheats, like splatoon1 had. It'd be cool of the cloud system could recognise a new switch against the old so it can transfer data to your nex switch, but doesn't allow you to delete and reinstall the data on your old. Like a one time thing for new consoles. That'd be really nice. I'd spend my $$$ on that.

Reila

Inkling Fleet Admiral
these paid online is supposed to improve things
Did they ever said they would improve anything? And even if they did, you have to be really naive to believe that. It is Nintendo.

RocketsTail

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-2874-2863-4789
I'm salty as hell too. I was hoping that the paid service was gonna weed out certain players too. Still got game throwers too, which really irks me. I don't care if it's ranked, Turf, or SR. People are paying now.....and it makes no sense to pay, only to have teammates that still deliberately throw games. I know Nintendo can't control those players but they can improve their reporting system to deal with them. Lopsided matchmaking is still bad too. It wasn't as big of a deal before , but now that we're paying, they are little things that Nintendo can improve. I know it's not always solely a player's wi-Fi because before I got a LAN adapter at my old place, my Switch was right beside my router and I STILL got disconnected sometimes. Every other device was flawless on wi-Fi except for the Switch. So the Switch does have a weak wi-Fi chip. It's almost required to run an Ethernet cable on it. Now for the players who know for a fact that their internet is trash and still choose to play.....Nintendo should start issuing bans much longer than 5 minutes for those that dc repeatedly.

Sir Ngyes

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Simple234
Please believe me when I say that it was much worse earlier on. When I first got the game, I was given the boot nearly every single match. That may have been a problem with my own internet, but no matter what the problem was, it hasn’t been that severe for a long time.

shudder

Senior Squid
Nintendo should be called out here. Has a game ever been free for a period of time for online play and then given a paywall later? It's just so backwards. I'd understand it more if the game was getting some improvements of some kind like more stable and improved online to cut down on dc's but that clearly isn't happening. It's just a bad gesture towards the playerbase really.

Coolkid

Inkling Cadet
Nintendo should be called out here. Has a game ever been free for a period of time for online play and then given a paywall later? It's just so backwards. I'd understand it more if the game was getting some improvements of some kind like more stable and improved online to cut down on dc's but that clearly isn't happening. It's just a bad gesture towards the playerbase really.
i still think us splatoon 2 players got screwed here,they don't improve they even refuse to let us save our progress to the cloud,i don't know what's wrong with nintendo but they are really being ***** to the splatoon 2 players -.-

Flammie

Inkling Cadet
NNID
FlammieLL
Paying for 20$ a year gives you 1.66$ per month.
By logic, if you can afford 3 games a year which costs 3 - 4 times more than the online service (And you save 125$ by having the family set of 8 people), and by doing so you should have enough money to pay for this service.

The Paid service was announced around when the console was released in the first place, so everyone had their chance of trying out many of the online games when released, there are plenty of single player games to try too, if the online service is too expensive.

Also i don't see how the online connection for Splatoon 2 is going to be even better, by abolishing the Paid Service and have even more players clog up the online (those who didn't pay for it)?

Lotus-Bun

Inkling
NNID
Thefuri
Switch Friend Code
SW-2071-9315-6533
Agreed. Ever since online happened, I've seen much more disconnects in my matches than before paid online launched. People thought this was gonna rule out the people that ruined matches on purpose, but it still happens. Nintendo doesn't have control of that, but they already got the dough from us, they should use it to get actual servers, not the P2P connection garbage. Even then, sadly the switch can turn good wifi into garbage. (hopefully the new model of the switch coming out in 2019 fixes that) Of course, it would take time after getting the dough to get good servers, but knowing Nintendo at this point, they probably won't. Nice job donating to Nintendo. You aren't getting anything good in return.

ϛ(°³°)/`

Inkling Commander
These a lot of things to unbox here, so let’s get started:
  • I’m pretty sure that Nintendo never said that their paid online service would improve connectivity, so getting salty that it’s the same is just arrogant.
  • As far as I know, Splatoon 2 is person-to-person connectivity and doesn’t rely on servers to the same degree that most PVP games do. I’ll leave it to other people to explain why dedicated servers are better, because I’m technology-stupid.
  • With paid online, most of us were hoping that the game throwers would be weeded out. In hindsight it seems more likely that casual players would be weeded out, and the more highly competitive players, the ones that tend to bring more toxicity to their games, would remain. This is why you see more game throwers and squidbaggers these days - because there’s less regular players to thin things out.
  • If somebody disconnects, it’s because of their own internet connectivity and not something on Nintendo’s end. If it’s on Nintendo’s end, we’re likely to see mass disconnects and not one or two people in a game. THOSE kinds of DCs are just people quitting for one reason or another (see above).
connection didnt get worse now we’re just paying for the same garbage

Last edited:

shudder

Senior Squid
These a lot of things to unbox here, so let’s get started:
  • I’m pretty sure that Nintendo never said that their paid online service would improve connectivity, so getting salty that it’s the same is just arrogant.
  • As far as I know, Splatoon 2 is person-to-person connectivity and doesn’t rely on servers to the same degree that most PVP games do. I’ll leave it to other people to explain why dedicated servers are better, because I’m technology-stupid.
  • With paid online, most of us were hoping that the game throwers would be weeded out. In hindsight it seems more likely that casual players would be weeded out, and the more highly competitive players, the ones that tend to bring more toxicity to their games, would remain. This is why you see more game throwers and squidbaggers these days - because there’s less regular players to thin things out.
  • If somebody disconnects, it’s because of their own internet connectivity and not something on Nintendo’s end. If it’s on Nintendo’s end, we’re likely to see mass disconnects and not one or two people in a game. THOSE kinds of DCs are just people quitting for one reason or another (see above).
Why is it being arrogant to expect an improvement and a more stable online game if we are paying a fee now to play the game that we already bought? I can't disagree more there, that doesn't really make sense to me.

I think one of my biggest gripes with this is what exactly is Nintendo investing in with this? A select number of NES games and cloud saves is hardly an investment. The company hasn't announced that they are investing in anything either, just seems like a greedy money grab right now.

ϛ(°³°)/`

Inkling Commander
Why is it being arrogant to expect an improvement and a more stable online game if we are paying a fee now to play the game that we already bought? I can't disagree more there, that doesn't really make sense to me.
It's not arrogant to expect to receive better performance once you start paying for it - it's arrogant to be disgruntled when people don't deliver on a promise they never made. Should they have upped the performance on online multiplayer? Yeah totally, if that's something they can do then they should have allocated some of this extra income to that (and they may still in the future). They didn't though, because as a business they want money and made us pay for a service that they provide.

I don't see how this is any different from providing a free trial for 7 days before requiring payment to continue, and that's something any number of games already have implemented.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom