• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Nintendo's presence at Electronic Entertainment Expo

Your opinions on the Digital Event?

• Total voters

Nico Nico Sleep

Pro Squid
So I think most were quite disappointed with this year's Nintendo Digital Event, including myself.
After spiraling into an immense amount of depression and realizing that there were only 2 Wii U games announced for this year, a friend of mine boasted about the "victory of E3" belonging to Square Enix because of this statement I took into consideration Nintendo's presence at E3 and came to understand the situation a bit more.

The World Championships took place of the Smash Brothers Invitational, the Smash Brothers direct took hold of the Smash Brothers related news (which was quite entertaining) so that Nintendo didn't have to squeeze it into the digital event which left the DE to hold the most underwhelming pieces of news.

With only 2 new Wii U games announced (yet a plethora of 3DS shovelware) I think it's obvious that Nintendo is coasting along until their latest plan, the NX, comes into fruition. This E3's digital even may have been disappointing, but I still find myself enjoying the Treehouse stream and the games I still own. As bad as the Digital Event was, I still think that Nintendo's E3 presence is still incredibly enjoyable. Nintendo may have disappointed fans, but at this point I'm sure they realize their wrong doing. What their next move is, is what piques my interest. Where are they to go after this less-than-stellar event?

Zero Revolution

Pro Squid
NNID
Zeedief123
Switch Friend Code
SW-8519-0178-2889
Of course I was disappointed, but Nintendo is releasing tons of games I'm interested in this year and even 1 or 2 next, so I didn't mind the lack of new Wii U announcements. Although the Animal Crossing tease bothered me, they should've shown the game itself first instead of making me (and I'm assuming others) believe it was the next big Animal Crossing game.

Star Fox looks great!

<π.

Inkling Cadet
NNID
LessThanPiArt
I really looking forward to starfox I always been a huge fan of the series even though I can't push buttons fast enough to use fox in melee. I have a lot of faith that they will handle this one well and give the hardcore starfox fans the game they've been waiting for.

I was hoping to see a new WiiU game but I can't say I'm upset with what is already avaible with the system.

Every metroid fan I feel you pain trust me.... I feel your pain.

NicoNico

Inkling
NNID
MseaCreasy
There are a handful of Wii U games releasing this year. I'm glad Nintendo focused the e3 direct on near releases. Fatal Frame, Xenoblade X, Rodea the Sky Soldier(Famistsu gave this game 8-7-8-7), and Yoshi's Wooly World are guaranteed to release in 2015.

I don't know about Star Fox, but Platinum is helping out. Expect another hit with Star Fox.

I'm still wondering about Devil's Third.

But just like last year, they really need some critical third-party support, even if it's from Japanese companies.

YesI'mTaco34

Inkling Cadet
NNID
YesImTaco
as a Zelda fan

Kinda sad that Xenoblade X doesn't come out till 4 of December. Also i feel bad for the Metroid fans but all and all i thought it was ok

Terabyte

Inkling Commander
NNID
PokeBoy99
The Digital Event was underwhelming. If you could describe it in three words, I would say "Is that it?"

But, Triforce Heroes looks really fun! Me and my sister love playing co-op games together so I assume we're going to have a blast. I'm hyped for it and Yoshi's Woolly World most. Maybe Star Fox Zero if it has a co-op mode.

Sure, Nintendo's E3 event this year was disappointing, but I have a feeling next year's will be amazing with NX news and maybe even some games that are in development for it.

Phobos

Inkling Commander
I'd foolishly raised my hopes, and of course they were dashed. No big games for the WiiU that we weren't already aware of, and the things that were revealed - the tennis game and AC game - looked weak.
The forced gamepad integration in the new Star Fox seems like a serious misstep - switching attention between two screens like that really does not work for me at all. It's fine in Splatoon, since the relevant info can be gleaned in a quick glance, but switching back and forth between the TV and the gamepad for playing the game is a whole different deal. Moreover, the gamepad screen is great for little info displays, and off TV play is awesome, but it can't compete with an HDTV; forcing players to use it for gaming when they'd rather be watching their TVs results in a sub par experience - the recent Kirby game suffered here.
Still, I own the WiiU for Kart and Smash, and Splatoon has now joined their rank, and I have plenty to keep me busy with these games for the rest of the year. It's just sad to see Nintendo drop the ball like this, since things were looking up after Splatoon came out :(

Last edited:

V-kun

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
V-kunGX
I enjoyed their showcase of Mari- *Ahem* Super Mario Maker. I also thought Starfox and the Mario RPG X Paper mario games were interesting, but overall i feel that it was underwhelming as well. I don't know, i guess i expected them to bring a little more to the table. Ya know?
I was also hoping to hear a little more about this NX thing that they have in the works, but Reggie says they are putting off the information til 2016.

Maybe i just hyped myself up to much for it haha!

toadster101

Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-0022-0027-5937
It was an embarrassing presentation that summed up everything wrong with the company. They basically admitted that the Wii U is dead in front of thousands of spectators. I was having flashbacks to E3 2008, but I don't think anything will ever be able to top that monstrosity. Only 363 days to go until the NX reveal!

Nintendo may have disappointed fans, but at this point I'm sure they realize their wrong doing.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1065877

NicoNico

Inkling
NNID
MseaCreasy
The Wii U may be my last Nintendo home console. Teasing the NX was a slap to the face of the 10 million Wii U owners. If Ninty doesn't have faith in the Wii U, I won't have faith in the NX. I might still buy their next handheld.

TimpaniGamer

Full Squid
NNID
TimpaniGamer
They had some great games to show (M&L: Paper Jam, Star Fox, FE Fates, Wooly World, Mario Maker), and the Treehouse shows throughout the week made me pretty excited about them, but their initial showing in the Digital Event was pretty underdone. The trailers and announcements could have been more flashy and bold (Star Fox did it well with the Muppet thing, but that was about it). The Treehouse shows made up for it, though, since they showed the games off really well. Still, though, people aren't as easily swayed by later impressions like I was. The initial impression is very important...

(I hate Animal Crossing: Amiibo Party, though. That really feels like a cash grab (although I might try to buy some of the amiibo separately).)

RespawningJesus

I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar.
Premium
NNID
RespawningJesus
I feel like I am the only person who actually is excited for the new Metroid game. Yeaj, it isn't the Metroid game we all wanted, but it looks fun.

Really wish Nintendo had some New 3ds exclusives in their sleeve somewhere, so right now, I just bought a bigger 3ds that can load faster.

Nico Nico Sleep

Pro Squid
I feel like I am the only person who actually is excited for the new Metroid game. Yeaj, it isn't the Metroid game we all wanted, but it looks fun.

Really wish Nintendo had some New 3ds exclusives in their sleeve somewhere, so right now, I just bought a bigger 3ds that can load faster.
Fun can't be an excuse for incompetency. It looks like a Nintendo 64 game with Metroid Prime slapped to the title to increase interest. Gameplay looks far slower than even Metroid Prime Hunters, and knowing Nintendo, it'll be a $40 to $60 game.

RespawningJesus

I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar.
Premium
NNID
RespawningJesus
Fun can't be an excuse for incompetency. It looks like a Nintendo 64 game with Metroid Prime slapped to the title to increase interest. Gameplay looks far slower than even Metroid Prime Hunters, and knowing Nintendo, it'll be a $40 to $60 game.
The game is on the regular 3DS, and not the New 3DS. It will never look pretty. If I want pretty, portable games, I have my Vita or my phone. Game speed doesn't tell you how good the game will be. Since the title is going to be a 3DS title, it will be $30-40 max. Nothing new there.

Anyways, right now, we barely have any information on this title, besides a very small trailer, and about 25 minutes of gameplay footage. People are overreacting because Metroid has never really done anything without Samus. People don't like change at all. Nothing new there.

I pick up games if they look like I will enjoy them, if they look fun to play. After all, that is exactly why we play games, no?

Nico Nico Sleep

Pro Squid
The game is on the regular 3DS, and not the New 3DS. It will never look pretty. If I want pretty, portable games, I have my Vita or my phone. Game speed doesn't tell you how good the game will be. Since the title is going to be a 3DS title, it will be $30-40 max. Nothing new there.

Anyways, right now, we barely have any information on this title, besides a very small trailer, and about 25 minutes of gameplay footage. People are overreacting because Metroid has never really done anything without Samus. People don't like change at all. Nothing new there.

I pick up games if they look like I will enjoy them, if they look fun to play. After all, that is exactly why we play games, no?
Exactly why Resident Evil Revelations looked like garbage, right? I'm not going to say that 3DS games are visual beauties, but we've definitely seen some really nice if not great visuals on the 3DS. Animal Crossing, Mario 3D Land, and Smash all look fantastic despite being on the 3DS. Also, please tell me why it looks worse than Metroid Prime Hunters, a game released on the original DS.

Saying that the only reason people are upset because Samus isn't in it is ****ing ridiculous. It looks bad. 25 minutes of GAME is enough to give impressions on any title. Compare the speed and dashes between Federation Force and Hunters.

I play games to have fun and to keep playing them. Not to spend $40 on shovelware that Nintendo is NOT known for. More and more Nintendo's been pulling these cheap cash-ins on its fanboys just like you who are apologists for even the biggest mistakes.

Last edited:

Twinkie

Full Squid
NNID
Twinkiman
Honestly I thought that Nintendo's E3 was not all that bad. I just think people get their expectations too high. Though the real disappointment for me was new Animal Crossing for the Wii U.

As of Federation Force, its really not the gameplay that turns me away from it. Its the chibi art style that they went with. And I am probably one of the last people who will complain about graphics and art styles.

EDIT: Grammar

itisRag

friendly neighborhood rag
NNID
itisrag
I'm fine with all of it. I watched most of it from the NWC through the majority of Treehouse Live every day. I agree that nothing announced is awe-inspiring, but that's why it's a good idea to avoid holding high expectations. That way, disappointment is much less likely to happen.

SGM

Inkster Jr.
NNID
UltimateBlast
I think that the main day the presentation took place was so disappointing was because we knew about most of the games shown off, but also because everything in the Smash Direct was leaked. It made everyone less hyped for the main event. It was definitely a stopgap year for Nintendo, with all the transition they were talking about taking place this year. If they need to hide the NX so competitors won't steal their ideas, the NX better be the best console that has ever released.

The new Mario & Luigi game looks great, as do Federation Force and Triforce Heroes. At least the Treehouse was as good as last year, but it did get a little bit boring after a while.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom