• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Nintendo's View on the possibility of Ultra-competitive Splatoon

Madame Coleen

Inkster Jr.
Glad to hear they're at least trying to focus the game on a competitive level at the start so we don't get the weird "party game" identity crisis that Smash has struggled with.

Now will they succeed, time will tell, but I'm excited to at least try and make it competitive.

Flying_Tortoise

Sushi Chef
I suppose. I just don't think it's going to be as big a priority for them as everyone else is, and that's the lens through which I'm saying all this.

Also, I should disclaim: I am actually indifferent as to whether it gets a competitive community or not (leaning towards impressed more than anything), I'm just stating what I think the situation is likely to be.
I guess it doesn't even matter too much if Nintendo sponsors it and tries to make it as competitive as Call of Duty or what not. The good thing is that it CAN be on that kind of competitive level. The base of Nintendo has shown that if a game is good, we will support it and keep it up. And also this is the only shooting game for the wii u, and its a unique one. So anyone that likes shooting games will give it a try

FunkyLobster

Inkling Commander
NNID
FunkyLobster
I guess it doesn't even matter too much if Nintendo sponsors it and tries to make it as competitive as Call of Duty or what not. The good thing is that it CAN be on that kind of competitive level. The base of Nintendo has shown that if a game is good, we will support it and keep it up. And also this is the only shooting game for the wii u, and its a unique one. So anyone that likes shooting games will give it a try
well, cod is on the wii u, as well as zombiu if you count that, but this is the only shooter game made by NINTENDO on the wii u and it looks very creative and fun

regardless if nintendo supports splatoon, it will garner a competitive following. it'd be nice if they did, though

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
I really like the phrasing "Ultra-Competitive Splatoon", it's so serious that it's cheesy. :P

Nin☆Jun

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Dantel
No voice chat just adds up to the challenge, I'd love to see players make use of the in-game markers.

LunarDistortion

Inkster Jr.
Nintendo has been becoming more and more accepting of competitive play than in previous years. Yeah, we still have Sakurai with his views, but on the other hand we got a Smash Bros Invitational and Nintendo sponsoring Apex in the past year, this article is only adding onto that.

Flying_Tortoise

Sushi Chef

Teeples

Full Squid
NNID
Flow_Teeples
Would be extremely stoked if this game got large enough for LAN tournies with money involved. If the game lives up to the hype I think this game has the biggest chance from Nintendo as there is minimal (or no) luck factor it seems.

Green inker

Full Squid
NNID
sonimario2000
Lets not forget how Melee turned into the MASSIVE Fighting game it is now. The same thing can happen here, you know instead of being a fighting game, it'll be a shooter.

Flying_Tortoise

Sushi Chef
Lets not forget how Melee turned into the MASSIVE Fighting game it is now. The same thing can happen here, you know instead of being a fighting game, it'll be a shooter.
I agree, will we get the amount of money as CS:GO? i can't knock the idea cuz I cant predict the future, but we should get close to melee in the future eventually. It is nintendo's only 1st party shooter, and is so unique from all the other shooters. Also depends on how strong our community supports the game

Kris

Senior Squid
NNID
Kristofuror
It'd be cool for this to become an esport.
If I like the game at launch I will back it all the way.

Other than the game itself (development wise) The community should be first and foremost I think.

Any game can be ultra competitive. There are plenty of amazing games that probably will never become an eSport mainly because their community isn't strong enough. The game could be flawless but it doesn't matter if it doesn't have a strong enough group backing it.

We should really focus on building the foundations of a strong community if you want eSports to be a possibility. A positive and engaging community is what is required. Positive is a pretty obvious thing. No one wants to be somewhere that makes them feel lousy :\. We see this in many games. I really dislike how ranking systems bring a long elitist attitudes. Enough negativity easily will drive away a large number of people away from the competitive scene.

As for engaging. You want to get as many possible people on one site or one location as possible. You have to give them incentives to do so/let them know where this spot even is. Stuff like AMAs with the developers, Art contests, Tournaments, In Game Events, Real life Events, Cool stuff like funny videos, official artwork like comics, animated stuff, montages etc. Be engaging with the community, really listen to them. Stuff like that. League of Legends does a pretty good job at stuff like this, look how fast its community has grown. All this cool stuff, you probably will tell your friends about it, and they will do it , and so on.

Honestly I think investing in the community can't do harm. After all it's the community that invests in the arena for you to play in.

Flying_Tortoise

Sushi Chef
I completely agree.
Melee wouldn't have had a chance without its amazing community, which came to be because of people who have a love for the game and love to compete. Idk if rankings are a bad thing but building a strong community is definately the most important

SuperMii3D

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
PizzaDeliveryKid
I completely agree.
Melee wouldn't have had a chance without its amazing community, which came to be because of people who have a love for the game and love to compete. Idk if rankings are a bad thing but building a strong community is definately the most important
This is true, but you forgot that the mechanics of the game are also what made the fans go wild for it. Its fast paced and exploited tricks make it a fan favorite since it has so much potential to create an intense fight that people like to both watch and play.

Flying_Tortoise

Sushi Chef
This is true, but you forgot that the mechanics of the game are also what made the fans go wild for it. Its fast paced and exploited tricks make it a fan favorite since it has so much potential to create an intense fight that people like to both watch and play.
yep, that is definately how you get passionate members who will keep the game going and running strong

Trieste Sp

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
I'm glad they are trying to make this game competitive. Hopefully, a scene will emerge from this game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom