• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

No Octling Armor In Splatoon 2?

Captain Woomy

Woomy Enthusiast
So... I just beat Octo Canyon. It awarded me the hero suit but no octoling armor... :,( It looked pretty sweet, too. Do you just unlock it differently in Splatoon 2 than you do in the first one?

just wait i feel like there planing a big update on the hero mode/story mode

edit thingy: iv done all i can in the hero mode/story mode so its unobtainable for now

Green Waffles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
It would be weird if they didn't release octo gear this time around, at least for me.
Its probably planned to come in a second big patch.

Maybe they plan on releasing playable octolings with the release of octo gear
Maybe Nintendo will cancel paid subscriptions and send me a golden splatoon 2 case with a 1-to-2 man airplane for me to travel in for vacations.

SAHSWAMPY

Semi-Pro Squid
If I was gonna take a random guess it'd be either released along with playable Octolings (possibly... if it happens!) or in a big patch, maybe not as big as the one we just had but...yee :'3... I'd really like the gear though it looks really cool!

Goont

Inkling Cadet
NNID
PrankingMaster
I bet it'll be thrown in a patch. I assume it'll ship with wear-able octoshades instead of the goggles, and given the importance those have in story-mode, they're holding out due to spoilers and secrecy. With the game now out for several months, and the last major batch of players coming in from Christmas, spoilers should be thrown out the window with new patches.

Windstar

Pro Squid
I think they’ll be available as some sort of amiibo reward, maybe for an Octoling or Marina amiibo.

Last edited:

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
I think they’ll be available as some sort of amiibo reward, maybe for an Octoling of Marina amiibo.
That'd be possible, I don't want to believe it, yet it's possible. But it'd be hideously terrible given that it was never an amiibo exclusive in the first game.

Windstar

Pro Squid
That'd be possible, I don't want to believe it, yet it's possible. But it'd be hideously terrible given that it was never an amiibo exclusive in the first game.
Then again, only two Octoling gear were found in the files. Amiibo usually give three items, not two.

Edit : wait what about the octoshot Replica .-. i remember the fact it was in the first game and obtainable

Windstar

Pro Squid
exactly what i thought... but wouldnt they need a pearl one too .-.
Well, obviously. I just didn't mention it because it had nothing to do with Octoling Gear. But having individual amiibo would be nice. Also, double posting, which is posting twice in a row, is a big no-no.

Dark Sage Walker

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-8295-5505-1414
So, not to sound like I am bragging, but I did call the contents of one of the big patches not too long ago. If I am correct about another big patch, here's what I think will be in store for us. Even if I am wrong, a man can dream, can't he?

-More gear, like with the winter items patch in the first game.
-The return of the old battle songs to play alongside the music currently in the game along with a toggle to turn each of the songs on and off for your personal listening pleasure.
-More weapons, a lot like the remix weapons from the first game.
-Announcement of Pearl and Marina Amiibos.
-Playable Octolings along with Octoling gear (likely just reskins of previous weapons already in the game much like the Octoshot Replica).

My thought is this: Splatoon 1 was a huge, breakout hit. Especially seeing as it was on a basically failed console. They have stated that they want this game to be bigger and better than its predecessor, a point made more poignant by the idea that the Switch itself is a huge success. So what better way to cement the game in the minds of the fans than by giving them something that they have been asking for since the first game? Whether the idea is to have equality for our favorite cephalopods or to live the dream of being the bad guy, we all would like to have Octolings as playable in the game. I can even say that opening this option would deepen the lore of the game. What if the Octolings living in Inkopolis are spying for the Octarian nation, hence how they seem to be able to abscond with the Great Zapfish on multiple occasions? Perhaps other Octolings, potentially like Marina, have defected from the Octarian nation and now live in Inkopolis like any other Inkling? Is there a reason why we only seem to see female Octolings? Have they developed their own line of ink weaponry and not just reskins of things they found from Inkopolis? These are all questions I would like to have answered, or at least have on hand as something to think about. Personally, I think this is inevitable. This is something that the fans have been clamoring for since the first game. I have no reason to think that this will be ignored.

Goont

Inkling Cadet
NNID
PrankingMaster
Then again, only two Octoling gear were found in the files. Amiibo usually give three items, not two.
When were these datamined? I've never heard of Octoling armour being found in the files, but hey, now I'm looking forward to it!
Also, the amiibo in this game give out the special gear from Splatoon 1, like the Agent 3 gear, so it's highly, highly, likely that the original Octoling armour will be given as an Amiibo reward. The Octolings in Splatoon 1 and 2 wear different outfits, so the classic gear is going to be exclusive for sure.

My guess? Pearl/Marina Amiibo will come with music videos and Classic Octo Goggles/Top respectively. As for the Splatoon 2 Octo Gear, they are a bit different. The new top and boots might be added as Salmon Run items, I could totally see them being stuck there with a new Salmon Run update as a way of getting more players to try it. With more and more maps planned for Turf/Ranked, Salmon Run is going to be in need of some love down the line, and adding the Octo gear would be a great update for it. The Octo shades however, are a special case as they are plot relevant. Even though they aren't exactly Callie's shades, they are technically Octo Shades and those have some narrative importance. Notice that the original Octo Shades, from Splatoon 1, didn't show up in the sequel.

I'd love to see the Octo Shades get in from some special event or Spatfest, or even from a Octoling or Evil Callie Amiibo. Or hey, maybe I'm dreaming a pipe dream and we'll just get the octo gear randomly in the store. Or maybe they won't get added at all. But that'd suck as much an octopus sucker.

Windstar

Pro Squid

Dark Sage Walker

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-8295-5505-1414
I wouldn't place my bets on that being Salmon Run gear. I would say that Amiibo items are more likely. But I could also imagine some kind of special event giving out octo gear as well! Not necessarily a Splatfest, but I'm sure they could do something like an expansion or extra DLC missions for Octoling related things, including being able to play as an Octoling! I'm pretty sure Marina can't be the only Octoling in Inkopolis, right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom