• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

Non- Meta Nomad

Saber

NNID
Saber
Switch Friend Code
SW-0369-4203-0233
So... that the name, if I hear anything better I will change it.... anyways this is demo so any advice an recommendation for future weapon will be apperciated

Episode 1: Goldenparasol (Undercover brella)

Hello everyone Saber here, today I wanted to bring you a new series I am starting up.

Here I will discuss the shunned weapons of splatoon 2
explaining

- why people view it as bad.
- what common error people make while using such weapons
- and how to effectively use these weapons some unique tricks you can do with some of these weapons.
-Where it works best
-as well as what buff might be need to make these weapon more effective overall

The first weapon I am going to be considering is the undercover brella due to it's recent popularity (*cough @ThatSrb2DUDE)

So why do people view it as bad?

Many people feel it is inconaisitent in damage especially at max range, and it's shield can be easily broken by bombs and charger shots leaving you open and easy to kill due the freeze frames

What common mistakes do people make with this tool?
So if you do this, don't go aggro. (......no, no nope, stop, don't do this.)
Players will immedietly go into a battle open firing at any enemies nearby, this is good for painting turf but just puts a bullseye on you and as mentioned earlier it is easy to take you out without dealing damage.

Make use your mines, people reisist using these, but placing them near an objective can give your team vision and a good idea on how to attack...just make sure there aren't people nearby or you will be splatted

Lastly do not panic! Splashdown is a great special but due to the UC Brella's range panic specialing with a uncover brella will only give and enemy the space they need to pick you off from a distance.

So then how do you play the Uncover brella?

Get this....you play it undercover.:D
Okay yeah I am a smart alec , but the brella is effective in burst attacks, not head on.
Be patient sneak up and rush 1 enemy at a time or force them to come to you and get melted like a S1 carbon. However unlike the carbon you should rarely initiate a fight unless you are spotted

Another thing I recommned is to use your shield to deal damage, if you can manage the shield deals 30 damage allowing you to 60 damage in a single hit.
It also allows for the most beautiful read when combined with an inkmine.

When your shield is down make use of tapshots, by taping instead of holding you increase your mobility slightly allowing you to strafe and splatterdash thus increasing your overall mobility

Where it works best.
In my opinion, this weapon works best in modes like clam blitz, and in rainmaker, since both can make good use of coverage, and can sneak around easily due to many people focusing on a constantly moving objective rather than a single player?
It can also be good in splat zones but this is map dependant from my experience with it (which I won't be going into)

Lastly, what needs to be buffed.
Yeah as I much as I do enjpy this weapon, it isn't a optimal pick by any means though I may tease a certain DUDE about it.

This weapon needs a buff to it consistentcy, at mid to max range it can be a 3 to 5 shot to kill.
Also I feel it need to have more mobility when the shield breaks, or give the parasol more health cause once the shield is down then you no way to pull back

Overall despite my teasing this weapon can be used but it isn't without some serious flaws. But if you want to be the James Bond of the Inklings there is no weapon better.

zzmorg82

Pro Squid
NNID
zzmorg82
Switch Friend Code
SW-2476-2506-3411
Meh; I still think it's not a strong weapon for competetive purposes. You make a point about using it from a passive standpoint and combining it with the bombs, but most of the time, good players know how to play around it.

The original Brella is much more consistent in my opinion.

Saber

NNID
Saber
Switch Friend Code
SW-0369-4203-0233
Yeah it isn't a great weapon for comp. especially due tot he exisitence of the much better splat brella,
This thread though is more about giving an analysis and advice of weapons that are rarely played (like the UC Brella, tentabrella, eliter 4k, goo tuber, etc) due to being considered bad or just simply looked over for other weapons (like the emperry splat dulies, jet squechler, 96 gal, etc.) and explaining how you can use them either now or in the future once they do receive the buffs they need.

Also this is hopefully a kick starter for a series of videos I'll be making in the future

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
Got no problems with colored text, but the shade you pick can clash with the forum's colour schemes.

So sme personal notes I have on the Undercover Brella:

Unlike the Splat Brella and Tenta Brella, aiming is a requirement!

Unlike the widespread shots of the other brellas, the spread is more condensed and leaves a thin ink trail. A clean shot, and all your ink gets on your target. Anything less than s and the remaining ink travels past them. This leaves hardly any chance of inking your opponent's feet unless you're directly aiming at their feet. But even then, the thinness of each shot makes it difficult to throw a lot of ink at someone's feet. Also the thinness makes shooting upwards to rain down chip damage wholly ineffective.

Much like the other brellas, scoring max damage on your target requires that you be close to your target. Around no further than one line, per the test range. Max base damage is -40hp. Slightly off and you'll barely reach that amount. If you wing them you can get up to -30hp. If you're off it's -20hp and below. And it's furthest range, a direct hit scores you -10hp.

Canopy/shield strength I'm guessing is 100~200hp, but I'm personally leaning towards less than 150hp as it feels like it has the of a sheet of 1-ply toilet paper in a diarrhea storm, especially when chargers and blasters get a damage multiplier against brella shields. (And I'm thinking that any leftover damage from breaking the shield is then applied unto the user, much like leftover damage being applied after breaking ink armor. But I have yet, a ways or means, to confirm this.) However when the shield is broken there seems to be less stun lag for the user than when the other brellas are broken.

Meanwhile "shield bashing" does only -15hp as opposed to -30hp like the Splat Brella and Tenta Brella. This along with its low damage output renders the tactic of shot damage into shield bash nigh nonexistent.

As for successful ways to use this, that's still a work in progress. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

J'Wiz

Inkling Cadet
NNID
JWiz
We all mention a video about someone not doing Undercover Brella justice, but Yami Silver made quite a nice video about it. It also answered a couple of questions asked in this thread.

I thought of a few things that might be beneficial for the Undercover Brella. Sadly it's just things I thought of and not really tried, so what I'm about to say could be a bunch of nonsense.

For Gear, how about: Sub Power Up, Special Power Up, and Special Charge Up/Special Saver (depending on how fast the special gauge naturally fills and how often you die).

I would like to use Sub Power Up to help expand the mines. I want to use the mines not to really track or damage the enemies, but to trap them in ink. After the enemy is trapped, just go after the enemy normally. If the enemy fights back more than he/she should, use Splashdown immediately after the shield is broken.

I was thinking as you're shielding against an enemy, close in on them, then use Splashdown when they break your brella. I'm just not sure how well this works. With Special Power Up, the enemy should have little chance surviving if you hit them a time or two.

Last edited:

MINKUKEL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I think the 'key' to this weapon is simply being able to aim well with burst-type weapons. I had a ton of Splat Brella and Range Blaster experience under my belt when this hit, so it didn't take me too long to get good with it. In fact, I'd consider it one of my best 5 or so weapons atm!

When it comes to the shield's HP...sure, it's not a lot, but considering the weapon isn't *that* weak, it works out to be pretty balanced. Unlike the normal Brella, you can't really depend on your shield to help you when you have 2 or more opponents, so it's more that it gives you an advantage in 1-on-1 battles. But it's easy to help spread chaos with the Ink Mines, if you use them well, so it's not like you're hopeless either.

And don't forget you can get more Splashdowns than you'll know what to do with. You'll barely get in a pickle without having that panic button handy, this weapon spreads ink so quickly.

My strategy with this weapon is basically to stay away from the middle a little (in most stages, depends a bit of course), place the mines in a good spot where enemies try to break through and just try and kill everything that breaks through, either where you placed your mines, or otherwise. As long as you're not in a very chaotic situation, you'll most likely win every duel. So, I don't play at the front of the lines, but I do play somewhat aggressive, as I never shy away from a battle. In fact, you could very well play very aggressively, despite what the OP says, but I prefer making good use of the Ink Mines since it's just more fun, and they really complement this weapon.

As for gear, I think I used 2x Sub Power Up, 2x Special Charge Up, 1x ISM, 1x IRU. Or something to that effect.

So to summarize:
-Practice aiming
-Use your mines
-Win every one-on-one battle
-Don't think that because you have a shield, you mustn't ever play aggressively

The Salamander King

NNID
sintiss0421
Switch Friend Code
SW-3785-4018-5310
I think Undercover just needs a little bit of a better kit. Tentamissles would have fit better in my opinion.

Saber

NNID
Saber
Switch Friend Code
SW-0369-4203-0233
I think Undercover just needs a little bit of a better kit. Tentamissles would have fit better in my opinion.
Actually you do got a point, most time they pair a close range weapon with a mid range sub and a long range special.

However for some reason they made the uncover brella have a close range sub and special, giving it no real good coverage option for dealing with ranged opponenets.
Tentamissles, inkjet splat bombs or burst bombs and it's kit would be considerably better, but until it's variant comes out we will likely have to work with what we've got

Also @MINKUKEL
Here is my set l use with it
:ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_runspeed::ability_runspeed:
:ability_inkrecovery::ability_inksavermain::ability_swimspeed::ability_inksavermain:
:ability_specialcharge::ability_specialcharge::ability_swimspeed::ability_specialcharge:

The swim speed help when the shield break to get as far away as quickly as possible especially from chargers, I do not recommend sub up, mainly cause other ability have much more value in comparison, but if you have a set that works plz share it with me

MINKUKEL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
The reason I use Sub up is because I tend to rely on the Mines a lot, and I tend to use them at places away from where I am. That makes the extra ~3 seconds of tracking time quite useful (and I'll get lots of those extra 3 seconds so I think it absolutely has value).
You tend to always have your special ready with this weapon, which is why I don't really use Swim Speed Up, as I don't ever have to run away. Plus I don't really think you need Swim Speed up to make your escape generally anyway. I also don't really have any good Swim Speed Up gear since I don't grind for that, so even if I would want to use it I wouldn't. Of course that's also where the Special Charge Up comes into play (extra panic-button security), but also just because it's fun to spam Splashdown.
The remains are 1 part ISM and 1 part IRU, simply because most weapons are just a smoother affair if you use some ink-tank abilities. Since I tend to drop both mines quickly after one another but I don't have to use them all the time, IRU is just as useful in sub-related ink-usage, and it works pretty well on burst-type weapons as well (I tend to swim a bit more on average with those than with shooters). And I never leave the house without at least one part ISM.

Flopps

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-3195-9273-4326
Actually you do got a point, most time they pair a close range weapon with a mid range sub and a long range special.

However for some reason they made the uncover brella have a close range sub and special, giving it no real good coverage option for dealing with ranged opponenets.
Tentamissles, inkjet splat bombs or burst bombs and it's kit would be considerably better, but until it's variant comes out we will likely have to work with what we've got

Also @MINKUKEL
Here is my set l use with it
:ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_runspeed::ability_runspeed:
:ability_inkrecovery::ability_inksavermain::ability_swimspeed::ability_inksavermain:
:ability_specialcharge::ability_specialcharge::ability_swimspeed::ability_specialcharge:

The swim speed help when the shield break to get as far away as quickly as possible especially from chargers, I do not recommend sub up, mainly cause other ability have much more value in comparison, but if you have a set that works plz share it with me
Avid Brella User here.
does need a buff, and I think it's the shield. Currently it's sitting at 200 hp, which seems amazing, but then you realize that Nintendo put
's damage modifiers on
. This means that weapons like chargers would do 2 times more damage that they're supposed to and so forth.

Also, I use this with
:

:head_eye003: :ability_runspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed:
:clothes_amb000: :ability_inkrecovery::ability_specialcharge::ability_inkrecovery::ability_inkrecovery:
:shoes_amb000: :ability_inksaversub::ability_inkrecovery::ability_inksaversub::ability_inksaversub:

The :ability_specialcharge: and one :ability_inkrecovery: is there I don't have enough chunks yet lol. Not only do I look amazing in this gera, but it's acutally really good.

:ability_runspeed: and :ability_swimspeed: are obvious. If you're going to have a lightweight weapon, then you've gotta have some speed on it.
:ability_inkrecovery: is for
[they take around 1/2 tank], and after you're done splatting someone. The
has 25 shots per tank, and it can take around 10 to splat one person.

:ability_inksaversub: is for
too; it makes you able to place two at the same time. This combined with the :ability_inkrecovery: makes it so that you'd never run out of ink and can protect from ambushes really fast.

When I play with this weapon, I feel like cancer.

And I mean the disease.

I generally stay in one area [unless it's like TC or something] and place ink mines why wreaking havoc. If someone tries to ambush me, I can quickly place
thanks to my :ability_inksaversub: and quickly splat them. Once I get a feel on how the enemy plays, I mimic their playstyle. In addition, depending on how good the enemy player is, I get more or less aggressive.

The secondary set for this weapon is
and
as the data mine shows, but thi could change. Now that we know how the
plays, I can say that this set might be okay for this weapon. The
would be amazing for getting good splats because throw a bomb and shoot one shot and they're pretty much dead. I can't really say much about baller though because I haven't really used it, but it could be good for sneaking into enemy territory.

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
While not amazing, I wouldn't say the weapon is bad, I get good results with it atleast. Can't wait for the alt kit, as mentioned that'll give it much appreciated range options.

MINKUKEL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I don't see how you need Run Speed Up for this weapon. It's not gonna help you with spreading ink quicker like it does with short-range shooters, and I don't see how it'll help in duels for this particular weapon, seeing as it is a burst-type weapon. Also, compared to most burst-type weapons, the run speed you get by default is already such a luxury already. Try playing the Range Blaster and then the Undercover Brella right after it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom