• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Obscure Games

Aori

Don't get Cooked!
Are there any obscure / not really well known games that you enjoy?
For me, it would be LSD Dream Emulator (A japanese dream simulator based off a real person's dream diary) and Timesplitters!

Maave

Inkling Commander
Stretch Panic (aka Freak Out aka Hippa Linda). It's a very early PS2 game. You play a girl with a magic scarf that can stretch and deform the environment. You have to defeat your possessed sisters. It's really unique gameplay, they really played with the extra power and the controls available on the PS2. I love when games "break the meta"

Slurmp

Pro Squid
NNID
HedgehogOverlord
Invizimals for the PSP. It's an augmented reality game in which you use the PSP camera to find different creatures and battle them. I know it sounds a lot like Pokemon, but I got it together with Pokemon emerald as some of my first video games (with the gba mariokart.) and they seemed different enough.

It also had some of my favorite dragon designs in games together with dark souls. To battle/catch the invizimals a black square is used to focus the camera on a specific place and it was a lot of fun making Lego squares to see the invizimals at about 10 times their normal size.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
You enjoy Timesplitters, Magolor? You get a cookie! I loved that series back in the day. I really hope Timesplitters Rewind is completed eventually.

As for me, I am an obnoxious hipster and most of the games I love are obscure. Monster Party, Okage Shadow King, Xexyz, B-Daman, Klax... I could go on for quite a while!

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
First thing that comes to mind: Ghost Trick

It's one of those games I'm extremely happy I bought. Plus I currently have the album on my phone and use some of the tracks as ring tones.

It was originally for the DS but they also have it for iOS now. Don't know about Android.

Aristeia

Pro Squid
NNID
Sifo33
Not sure if the community considers this obscure or not, but I absolutely ADORED Psychonauts for PS2, and I really want a sequel eventually...just a stellar platforming/action game that had a lot of deep thematic content.

Ansible

Community Ambassador
Not sure if the community considers this obscure or not, but I absolutely ADORED Psychonauts for PS2, and I really want a sequel eventually...just a stellar platforming/action game that had a lot of deep thematic content.
Might have counted as obscure until it got a re-release on Steam and God Ol Games? Supposedly a sequel is definitely in the works.

Aristeia

Pro Squid
NNID
Sifo33
Whoa, I did not know about the re-release OR the sequel...color me excited, for sure! I will definitely have to replay the game before the next one drops. Thanks for the info!

Slushious

Token Party Squid
NNID
Setsu-P
Switch Friend Code
SW-3439-5127-4993
Arcanum: of Steamworks and Magick Obscura. One of the very few PC games I've played all the way through. I'm also a huge fan of Dungeon Keeper :'D

Ansible

Community Ambassador
Rattling around in my skull for a bit. It was a game a friend and I played for quite some time on the PS2. And its sequel: Mr. Mosquito

Swiss_Squid

Full Squid
Tbh i really really loved the Klonoa remake for the wii. that's the only klonoa game i've been able to play and i absolutely loved it. story was actually pretty good and made me cry towards the end. perfect 2.5 platformer that is quite difficult later in the game. i highly reccomend getting any of the games. unfortunately klonoa wii only sold a couple hundred thousand copies. ;_; amazing soundtrack as well.

Ansible

Community Ambassador
Tbh i really really loved the Klonoa remake for the wii. that's the only klonoa game i've been able to play and i absolutely loved it. story was actually pretty good and made me cry towards the end. perfect 2.5 platformer that is quite difficult later in the game. i highly reccomend getting any of the games. unfortunately klonoa wii only sold a couple hundred thousand copies. ;_; amazing soundtrack as well.
I've played one of these games, the second one. Back on Playstation 1/2. Rented it back when there was a Blockbusters, got stuck somewhere near the end of the game, never finished it. It's not a difficult game yet it's really really pleasant to play. Pleasantly awesome game with an awesome soundtrack.

Thanks for reminding me!

Magnus0

Pro Squid
Pokemon conquest.

It's basically fire emblem gameplay with a pokemon skin, but it still feels very distinct and polished. It has excellent spritework, an amazing soundtrack, simple but effective and sometimes surprisingly deep turn based gameplay and a unique way of telling the story. Pretty much all of the characters are likeble and interesting, each having a unique design and believable personalities.

If I had to say anything bad about the game is that it's too easy. The AI is exploitable sometimes and enemy armies generally take way to long to increase in strenght and evolve their pokemon. But then again, it's a ds game.

I hope this game will get a remaster for the 3ds, with some extra characters, a fairy type castle and more pokemon with better AI.

Ansible

Community Ambassador
Pokemon conquest.

It's basically fire emblem gameplay with a pokemon skin, but it still feels very distinct and polished. It has excellent spritework, an amazing soundtrack, simple but effective and sometimes surprisingly deep turn based gameplay and a unique way of telling the story. Pretty much all of the characters are likeble and interesting, each having a unique design and believable personalities.

If I had to say anything bad about the game is that it's too easy. The AI is exploitable sometimes and enemy armies generally take way to long to increase in strenght and evolve their pokemon. But then again, it's a ds game.

I hope this game will get a remaster for the 3ds, with some extra characters, a fairy type castle and more pokemon with better AI.
I've wanted to play this game for so long! But can't find a (reasonably priced) copy available. I still no nothing about Pokemon but it looks like a fun, casual-seeming tactical RPG worth playing to whittle away some free time on.

Slushious

Token Party Squid
NNID
Setsu-P
Switch Friend Code
SW-3439-5127-4993
Almost forgot about Legend of Legaia. That one had a really interesting combat system, the way I remember it. I should dig up a copy someday =p

Pilzkopf777

Inkling
NNID
Pilzkopf777
What about "Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: My Life as a King" (what a name)?
A spinoff game from the Final Fantasy series in which you build and manage a city and it's adventurers.
Seems rather bland at first but has a lot of interesting mechanics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom