1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Squidboards now has its own Discord server!

Join us on Discord!

3. Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 15,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 150,000 posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Splatoon community!

4. Hi Guest,

As of June 3rd you will no longer be able to log in to Squidboards using your Smashboards account. Please take a look at the announcement for additional details

Octo Expansion/Future DLC Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Regular Discussion' started by seaWEED, Mar 9, 2018.

1. seaWEED

seaWEED Senior Squid

Switch Friend Code:
    SW-3569-5511-7797
    Post your thoughts on the new DLC! I am very excited about it. I could care less about the new octoling hairstyles, though.

2. ChelseaSmile

ChelseaSmile Inkling

NNID:
    Warriorofworlds
    The new Agent has some intense hip bones

seaWEED and Ansible like this.
  3. Globin347

Globin347 Inkling Cadet

NNID:
    ThePowerPigeon
    All the octolings do.

seaWEED likes this.
  4. Reila

Reila Inkling Fleet Admiral

It is almost comical how large the hips are in comparison to that tiny body.

ChelseaSmile, seaWEED and Ansible like this.
  5. Goont

Goont Inkling Cadet

NNID:
    PrankingMaster
    well the characters of splatoon are all pretty trendy. You could say they strive to be pretty hip.

Forma, Nerdbird, ϛ(°³°)/` and 8 others like this.
  6. aceofscarabs

aceofscarabs Inkling Fleet Admiral

CPT Cuttlefish seems to be wearing his old uniform, or at least green fatigues that look like his old uniform.

7. Reila

Reila Inkling Fleet Admiral

By the way, there is some really creepy water roach (?) new character in the trailer. Would be fun if that thing was the new villain... Or anyone really, just not freaking DJ Octavio again, please.

seaWEED likes this.
  8. aceofscarabs

Nah, that's just Otaku Isopod, if you look at his luggage he's collecting moeblobfish plushies.

Goont likes this.
  9. Gameboy224

Gameboy224 Inkling Commander

NNID:
    Gameboy224
    I find the new look of all the Octarians very intriguing. It isn't even that they had a simple ink color change, they all have black scleras and a very abnormal skin pigment.

I mean this simple details HAS to be explained to some capacity. The announcer mentions the area is a sketchy test chamber, seems somebody has either experimenting on Octarians to make them into these demonic atrocities, or they've been doing something like cloning or producing artificial Octarians.

Needless to say the scene with what we presume to be Agent 8 in the green fluid leads me to believe your Octoling has some key role in all of this or is a result of it.

Then we have our new Octoling being Agent 8, other than the obvious joke about him/her being an Octoling and 8, I wonder if they will elaborate if there are Agents 5-7. Just based on speculation, Capt Cuttlefish could've recruited Pearl and Marina as 5 and 6, so that would still leave 7 and I don't think Sheldon or our new Sea Cucumber friend count.

Needless to say, I'm interested in this both for the gameplay as well for the potential story it has in store for us.

seaWEED and Ansible like this.
  10. Chaos_Knight

Chaos_Knight Inkling Fleet Admiral

NNID:
    Cha0sKnight

Octolings are just Inklings in disguise. You've all been lied to. [​IMG]

11. aceofscarabs

[​IMG]
    Nah man, She merely ate an Octo's hair and copied her genetic makeup.

Dessgeega, Yin_, Saber and 4 others like this.
  12. Inkling kirby

Inkling kirby Semi-Pro Squid

I think the Mohoct looks badass. (yes I came up with that myself)

seaWEED and Green Waffles like this.
  13. zzmorg82

zzmorg82 Pro Squid

NNID:
    zzmorg82
    Switch Friend Code:
    SW-2476-2506-3411
    Where is this from?

14. Drew Sebastino

Drew Sebastino Inkling Cadet

NNID:
    Espozo
    Switch Friend Code:
    SW-3924-6316-9401
    @zzmorg82 Yuta Agc; the same person who brought you this lovely picture:

[​IMG]

#14 Drew Sebastino, Mar 10, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2018
    Ansible and zzmorg82 like this.
  15. Spraylan

Spraylan Pro Squid

NNID:
    JonasOrtega
    Does anyone have screen grabs of all the stages shown in the trailer?

16. aceofscarabs

I love how Deep Sea Isopod has a suitcase stuffed to bursting with moeblobflsh plushies.

seaWEED likes this.
  17. Leronne

Leronne Inkling Fleet Admiral

NNID:
    Leronne
    Switch Friend Code:
    SW-2169-0003-5242
    Splatoon's JP twitter has been hinting at what to expect for the upcoming DLC in a series of tweets.
    Now disclaimer, i can't read or speak japanese at all, so what i'm about to say is based purely on google translate and other such means. as such some of the info may not be 100% correct. If you have a better translation, feel free to mention it and i'll edit my post as such.

Anyways on to the tweets.

This first one mentions that the name of the hero you play as is "No. 10008" also known as just "No. 8 or agent 8". The hero has lost his memory (who am i, what is this place etc) and is fighting his way through 80 stages to escape this strange underground facility being moved by the groove of the squid sisters in his soul.
    This last part is more poetic than anything. potentially hints at a bunch of stuff.

"the story takes place in a huge underground experimentation facility. It's still a mystery as to who and for what purpose it was made. It seems to be a space separated from the outside world, as if time has stopped."

"your adventure will be guided by pearl aka "MC Princess" and Marina aka "DJ E-da". Two new songs by Off the Hook will be revealed (assuming the first one was the trailer music which was banging), and also the backstory of how they (Pearl and Marina) met."
    This one has me the most intrigued.

basically you can skip levels and advance the story if they're too hard. You can still play as an octoling online after going through all the levels even if you skipped a few. Tweet doesn't mention this, but there seems to also be a price for skipping a level. i'm not sure.

last one

"Octolings play the same as inkings. Once you clear the octo expansion, you can choose them as a customization option online."
    And a bunch of photos showing them in different outfits and weapons. There was no mention of hairstyles, but hopefully that's also an option 'cause i'm not a fan of the octo boy's one.

Welp, that's basically it. Some more screenshots and story hints.

#17 Leronne, Mar 12, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
  18. Ansible

Ansible Squid Savior From the Future
    Community Ambassador

NNID:
    RocketRobin
    Switch Friend Code:
    SW-8134-5728-9110
    Wonder what it'll mean that the octotarians were are blue-skinned. But I'm more curious what they octolings will sound like. Maybe it'll be a mix of the current octoling sound files and some new stuff?

Yet we don't know what an octoboy. And I wanna know the octoling equivalent of "woomy!"

Or maybe... "woomy" is universal. @_@

#18 Ansible, Mar 12, 2018
  19. Goont

Goont Inkling Cadet

NNID:
    PrankingMaster
    "As of Time had stopped." intrigues me. That could explain all the vintage game consoles and media thrown throughout the maps. Now I'm REALLY excited to see where the map design goes.

All believe in the great Woomy.

20. J'Wiz

J'Wiz Inkling Cadet

NNID:
    JWiz
    Indeed! I hope they're about as cute as Inkling noises. Afterall, we're probably going to get a bunch of "Booyah!" happy Octolings. Can whatever they say match up with an Inkling randomly saying "Sweaty!"?

The fact that we actually get some lore on the things they didn't explain in the game is something I was always hoping for. When the Zapfish disappeared, me, and a bunch of other people were wishing it was another single player event.

I can see people getting angry that you have to pay an extra $20 to get the complete story, and I understand why they'd be frustrated, but I personally don't mind.

I probably won't be an Octoling myself since I like Inklings too much, but if I can, I'll switch to one on my alt.

When I saw all of the stuff in the Direct, I was actually pretty happy. Not fully for the content itself, but because they put so much emphasis on Splatoon in the Direct. It made me think that maybe Splatoon won't just be kind of an afterthought in Nintendo's minds.

EDIT: I totally forgot to mention another sort of concern with Octolings. WIN/LOSS ANIMATIONS! It would be awesome if they had different win/loss animations than Inklings. I mean, I would still love to see a female Octoling with that goofy grin when winning with Dualies, but a new one would be even better!

#20 J'Wiz, Mar 12, 2018