• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

Octoling Character Mod Hacked Into Splatoon

Do you want to see the Octolings as a playable character?

• Total voters

Shirma Akayaku

Pro Squid
NNID
Toadette75
So the leaker of the game managed to make the octolings playable:
Could this be a hint at a the August DLC update coming? Might the Octolings be playable in the major August update? I'm assuming it could happen since the files to play as the octoling are already within the game, but they are missing their eye blinking textures. They are labeled as player models by the way.

I could be entirely wrong though since having an Octoling playable would interfere with the story line.

Oddly enough though, the modder has removed the head gear from the enemy octoling and this is what it looked like:

Last edited:

mario123007

Pro Squid
So the leaker of the game managed to make the octolings playable:
Could this be a hint at a the August DLC update coming? Might the Octolings be playable in the major August update? I'm assuming it could happen since the files to play as the octoling are already within the game, but they are missing their eye blinking textures. They are labeled as player models by the way.

I could be entirely wrong though since having an Octoling playable would interfere with the story line.

Oddly enough though, the modder has removed the head gear from the enemy octoling and this is what it looked like:
Whoa! I didn't see he made Inkling's hair into Octoling... where the the bottom pic come from?
You sure it's not just a model swap? That's what people on the Splatoon subreddit are saying.
Can I see the link?

Chocoling

Pro Squid
NNID
Mystical-Tabby
It's strange that in the gender select, the Octoling face is alright and in fact, pretty - but when the model enters the game, it becomes broken (no eyes, black mask).

Id love to see the Octolings playable, this model swap would need a bit more work though if nothing officially happened (changing the voice, fixing the model, head accessories).

Edit: now the picture has loaded, odd that the playable Octolings and enemy octolings have different faces

missingno

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
he/him
NNID
missingno
Switch Friend Code
SW-6539-1393-3018
According to the video description, the Octoling model lacks the blinking animation Inklings have, which is why the eyes black out in the plaza. Octopus form is screwy too. And we also see a lot of hats clip straight through that large hairdo.

As much as I really wish playable Octolings could be a thing, I don't know what they can do about the hat issue. I think this means it's not ever going to happen. :(

doop

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Elias56
the octolings hairdo is so ugly, like really ugly

Tigurr

Inkster Jr.
NNID
disasterbreak
I don't see why the octolings having a different head/hair shape means they can never be playable characters ever. Obviously work would have to be done to them to make them into playable characters anyway, no reason the devs can't make a different hair model for when they're wearing hats and stuff (for example) right?
And I mean, presumably if they were going to make playable octolings they'd have to make male ones as well if they wanted to match the inklings (I don't mind either way, though...)

I think it'd be neat for them to be playable, maybe as some kind of story tie-in in the future (don't ask me how) but I'd rather see other content first.

Snivy

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Sonicxpika
Interesting. I always wondered what the octolings boy would look like.

Shadowcat

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Shadowcat96
As much i would love the octolings to be playable, i want them to be in a certain game mode! For example, horde/over run mode from gears of war would be exciting by summoning octarians.

Shirma Akayaku

Pro Squid
NNID
Toadette75
You sure it's not just a model swap? That's what people on the Splatoon subreddit are saying.
Well it is a model swap, but the model he used was a player model. That's pretty key. Since it's a player model, this is what hints it at Ocotlings being playable in the August update. The only problem so far is the gear passing through the hair (it might not matter that much), and the unfinished eye blinking textures (but it's easy to make).

There are parts of the game that might contradict the notion that they might be playable. Like the story line.

Superjustinbros

Pro Squid
NNID
AozoraJustin
I assume if we did get Octolings as playable characters, then they'd have to alter the appearance of the hair for every possible piece of headgear that's in the game.

I'd be impressed if they had a male Octoling, like the one with the large single tentacle from The Regressor's "Splatoon 64" project.

mario123007

Pro Squid

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
Man, that's awesome. I hope someday we'll be able to play as the Octolings.

Chocoling

Pro Squid
NNID
Mystical-Tabby
There's a black spot on the Octolings trainer top, I don't know if that's a graphic error or her body clipping though the clothes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom