• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

Octoling Hype Thread 2: Electric Googaloo

Switch Friend Code
SW-7067-7083-1429
The Original Thread

Well here we are. The sequel that nobody expected to come so soon has been out for two weeks, and it's nearly been two years since the Octo-ber in which playable Octoling speculation skyrocketed. So has any new evidence surfaced to revive the hype? Well yeah otherwise I probably wouldn't have made this thread Yes!

For our first piece of hype, we have these lovely ladies. Well, mainly the one on the right, not trying to start a squaifu war, Pearl just isn't very important in this case and I couldn't find official art of Marina without her please no fite Marina!

It doesn't really take a genius to figure out that she's an Octoling. So an Octoling is a member of the current most popular pop duo in Inkopolis? And not only that, but her partner is an Inkling? She's basically walking evidence that Octolings and Inklings can get along just fine!

For our second piece of hype, we have the recently revealed Shifty Station stage! Not only does this stage take place in Octo Canyon, but Marina herself helped work on it! Perhaps she was consulted to make sure it was consistent with Octarian architecture.

Whether the Octarians celebrate Splatfest too, or the Inklings just invade their territory to party for a night, this is another example of the Octarian and Inkling worlds colliding.

The third piece of hype is where we get into datamining territory, yay! Most players have probably realized that unlike in the first game, the Octoling Armor set is not unlocked by completing the single player campaign. This alone made me suspicious that they were perhaps saving it for a future update, maybe even to release alongside the Octolings or perhaps an Octoling amiibo, but recently, icons were discovered for the Octoling Armor set, and an Elite set to go along with it, which essentially confirms that these armors are on the way!

The final bit I want to talk about in this post is what made me decide to create this thread in the first place-- some very new info regarding data from the most recent balance update. Take a look:

[source: https://www.reddit.com/r/splatoon/comments/6rvvhd/major_spoilers_datamined_information_reagrding/]
Okay, so personally, I see two big takeaways from this. First, a parameter that used to represent the player's gender has changed to the more broad "PlayerType". If Octolings weren't intended to be playable, what would be the point of this change? After all, couldn't they just leave it as "gender" if only Inkling Boy and Girl models were to be used by players? Seems like an unnecessary change in that case. Secondly... OctBoy. No real assets seem to exist for them, but male Octolings could definitely be on the horizon! This is extremely exciting, because one of the biggest things going against the idea of playable Octolings has always been that we've only seen female ones, so wouldn't it alienate male players even tho everyone plays as the girl anyway whatever? If nothing more was planned for Octolings, why would this data exist at all?

Sooo... what does everyone think of all this? Do you want to see playable Octolings? What other things do you see going against them? Are you as hyped as I am for this? Spoilers: No ;3c Discuss below, and remember...

Hero of Lime

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Link643
Switch Friend Code
SW-5339-5185-8796.
I believe again! Also I am glad I and most of the members of Octo make an appearance in the post here, what a coincidence, Berk. ;) That thread was amazing, at its height. o7

Here's hoping this game gets a huge update like the first game got, one of the big highlights being playable octolings. More customization would be nice, and I am curious what an Octoling boy could look like. Maybe we could get a new story mode to give context to why they are playable.

Not gonna lie, I am still slightly apprehensive about all this. All this evidence is pretty convincing, but at this point I will need official confirmation until I can say it's happening for sure. We all were so sure last time... :oops:

But who am I kidding, it's happening! I believe!

Last edited:
Switch Friend Code
SW-7067-7083-1429
I believe again! Also I am glad I and most of the members of Octo make an appearance in the post here, what a coincidence Berk. That thread was amazing, at its height. o7

Here's hoping this game gets a huge update like the first game got, one of the big highlights being playable octolings. More customization would be nice, and I am curious what an Octoling boy could look like. Maybe we could get a new story mode to give context to why they are playable.

Not gonna lie, I am still slightly apprehensive about all this. All this evidence is pretty convincing, but at this point I will need official confirmation until I can say it's happening for sure. We all were so sure last time... :oops:

But who am I kidding, it's happening! I believe!
Let the hype consume you °u°

But really, doesn't hurt to be cautiously optimistic ;) Interesting that you should mention a huge update like 2.0. One thing I had thought of earlier, but didn't mention in my first post, was that Splatoon 1's 2.0 update happened about three months after the game's release. With Splatoon 2, if such an update were to happen three months after release, why... that would put it in... October o_O

Of course that doesn't confirm anything, but it would line up well, that's all :p

Danku

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-6239-2879-4288
Oh gawddddd. ;~; seeing that old thread makes me so nostalgic, i might cry a bit. lol. I really remember hyping up and surrounding myself with evidence of playable octolings. With the updated models, how their hair tentacles were coded to change colors depending on the team's ink, texturing their eyes, etc. I remember the thread eventually died when no octos eventually came despite our predictions, and some schmucks were derailing the thread.

I am worried a bit that nothing will happen and we're all getting excited for nothing and they won't come, but it just MAKES SENSE. Especially the OctBoy values in the player type files. I also am hoping that we'll get to wear the Elite octoling armor, because theyre in the files displayed as wearable gear by players, at least that's what it looks like. But again, the OctBoy really sells it this time.

I want to believe! I believe in the tako! When Splatoon 2 inevitably gets a big update like the big ol august update 2 years ago, I really hope one of the highlights is playable octolings. I'd gladly pay for it.

RespawningJesus

I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar.
Premium
NNID
RespawningJesus
I remember that thread from ages ago, holy crap does time fly.

Anyways, it most certainly would be cool if we got a little more variety this time though.

Danku

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-6239-2879-4288
Even though I arrived late during the first game, I didn't believe.

But ever since seeing Marina and how much animation they've given her compared to the octoling target practice in single-player... I want to believe.
We all wanna believe. Once we find actual assets for "OctBoy", we all should freak out without shame.

YarnDrawcia

Full Squid
I'm going to very cautious in my expectations, but I suppose I'm rather slightly excited at the possibility of the introduction of playable Octolings. If Nintendo is listening to the Splatoon fanbase, it is a possibility.

AwesomeCookie

Pro Squid
Apartment In Inkopolis With His 3 Friends
Switch Friend Code
SW-7071-8973-2321
Kinda curious to see if Nintendo would actually let Octolings be playable. If they were implemented in the game, I'm pretty there would be in some gamemode, like where one team is Octolings, and the other are Inklings.

Agent Z

Inkling Commander
Kinda curious to see if Nintendo would actually let Octolings be playable. If they were implemented in the game, I'm pretty there would be in some gamemode, like where one team is Octolings, and the other are Inklings.
I made a post about that too.

Danku

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-6239-2879-4288
i dont know if they would do that. It just seems like Octolings would get integrated into inkling culture, cos i mean, one already did. :p

AwesomeCookie

Pro Squid
Apartment In Inkopolis With His 3 Friends
Switch Friend Code
SW-7071-8973-2321
i dont know if they would do that. It just seems like Octolings would get integrated into inkling culture, cos i mean, one already did. :p
Yep. One sure did. But the main question I have about this, is that isn't Octarians/Octolings like Inklings enemies? Why would they allow Marina, an Octoling, to be a news person?! Any ideas why they would do this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom