• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Octoling Hype Thread (prev. Assets in SplatNet)

MissingNumbers

Inkling Commander
NNID
MissingN
Switch Friend Code
SW-4262-2166-2532
Putting my bets on that they try to rescue DJ Octavio from the snow globe and/or hijack the Squid Sister's newscast declaring their rescue operation or something. As added storyline DLC.
Replaying the final boss makes it obvious that he can pretty much leave whenever he wants as long as Cuttlefish isn't looking.

Noire

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Kyseria
This has always confused me. Just how is Nintendo going to explain the Octolings playing Turf Wars with the Inklings? A new Single Player campaign to explain it? I don't know. But they're going to need a pretty good reason because right now, they're sworn enemies.

aqua46

Inkling Cadet
This has always confused me. Just how is Nintendo going to explain the Octolings playing Turf Wars with the Inklings? A new Single Player campaign to explain it? I don't know. But they're going to need a pretty good reason because right now, they're sworn enemies.
Maybe they'll just go, "hey, our head octo-guy was kind of an ***. he threw non-stop listening parties of his weekly albums, and always called all us his "little hipsters." We heard 'octopus' repeating on our radios, and saw you had awesome non-octopus snacks, and are throwing a party. oh yeah, can we just share the zappies from now on? we'll give you this awesome (sort of new) hovercraft. cool. hand me some shrimp ****tail. get away from me judd."

or maybe they'll implement new story, like many have suggested, which would be really cool and unexpected.

But you know would be really cool? Octoling equivalents of Callie and Marie, taking over the news for a bit.

MissingNumbers

Inkling Commander
NNID
MissingN
Switch Friend Code
SW-4262-2166-2532
But you know would be really cool? Octoling equivalents of Callie and Marie, taking over the news for a bit.
Introducing entirely new characters in a free update would be interesting. Though, again, they'll have to justify their presence somehow.

Helio

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
monkey.esq
image.jpg
Marie has a squid sushi on her head and Callie has a octopus sushi (one suction cup)on her head. Octopuses are already represented.

MissingNumbers

Inkling Commander
NNID
MissingN
Switch Friend Code
SW-4262-2166-2532
Marie has a squid sushi on her head and Callie has a octopus sushi (one suction cup)on her head. Octopuses are already represented.
I'm... not entirely sure what point you're making here.

SkyBlue

Inkling Commander
The dlc storyline could be completely from the octolings stand point. You're forced to be suppressed and live underground do to an argument/war your ancestors have. Your leader captured, you have to fight the squidtarians and inklings for the right to live above ground, save your leader, and hopefully forge a peace treaty.

idk, I just feel since we start out as inklings, and the story is us as inklings vs octarians. That it'd make sense for them to switch it to we start as octarians(in the story mode) and go through that to unlock them. Granted thats a lot of story, new enemies, etc to make.

Noire

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Kyseria
The dlc storyline could be completely from the octolings stand point. You're forced to be suppressed and live underground do to an argument/war your ancestors have. Your leader captured, you have to fight the squidtarians and inklings for the right to live above ground, save your leader, and hopefully forge a peace treaty.

idk, I just feel since we start out as inklings, and the story is us as inklings vs octarians. That it'd make sense for them to switch it to we start as octarians(in the story mode) and go through that to unlock them. Granted thats a lot of story, new enemies, etc to make.
That's a cool idea. Unless they made a lot of assets even prior to the August update, I have no idea how they could pull off a Octoling campaign without fighting Octarians. Every time I try to predict Nintendo, I'm always wrong. But there needs to be a reason as to why the Octolings are all of a sudden playing recreational games with their sworn enemies, the Inklings.

MissingNumbers

Inkling Commander
NNID
MissingN
Switch Friend Code
SW-4262-2166-2532
But there needs to be a reason as to why the Octolings are all of a sudden playing recreational games with their sworn enemies, the Inklings.
Yeah, if there's one thing Nintendo never slouches on, it's world-building.
I wouldn't mind the premise overall, really. In a way to me, it would feel like playing the other side of a war rather than playing as the "bad guys", so to speak.

aqua46

Inkling Cadet
That's a cool idea. Unless they made a lot of assets even prior to the August update, I have no idea how they could pull off a Octoling campaign without fighting Octarians.
It might turn out to be a true halo 2 situation, with outcast octolings running to inkopolis in rebellion of the octo king.

Brunosky_Inc

57% Squid Kid / 43% Hipster
NNID
Brunosky_Inc
Well, the credits do show some doodles of Octolings hanging out with Inklings like friends, so it's not like it would come completely out of the blue. Still, I'd sure love to see a single player campaign DLC to tie up this stuff.

Zombie Aladdin

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Overhazard
My best guess: There will be extra content to the single-player mode to explain it, and Octolings become playable at the end, but it can only be playable after defeating DJ Octavio at least once.

Lester Roquefort

Pro Squid
NNID
LesterRoquefort
Switch Friend Code
SW-2928-7410-6310
I personally think it'd be cool, though a little underwhelming, if this came about as a notice from Callie and Marie kicking the fourth wall or somehow telling you to check out the customization screen.

And when you switch to Octarian, all the NPC's in the Hub merely treat you like an enemy with restraint, merely hinting on a "recreational truce", keeping the enemy role.

My best guess: There will be extra content to the single-player mode to explain it, and Octolings become playable at the end, but it can only be playable after defeating DJ Octavio at least once.
Or weave it into single player and letting us replay it over again, as doing that would make it an extra chore for some of us.
(Yes, i'd rather start from scratch in Single Player than having to beat on DJ Octavio again.)

Zombie Aladdin

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Overhazard
Well, what I meant was that you have to have cleared the single-player mode as it currently is to begin on the DLC single-player mode stuff, as it'd have to be set after the current final boss.

Demonic Labrys

Pro Squid
NNID
Omega_Snakey
It might turn out to be a true halo 2 situation, with outcast octolings running to inkopolis in rebellion of the octo king.
That would be cool and maybe one octoling will be an incarnation of arbiter but i'm asking too much XD

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom